Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
It's $49 bucks per incident if I'm reading it wrong, also doesn't seem to guarantee a replacement, just parts and labor of the old one.

Let's say I dropped and really messed up iphone 5 and I didn't have the apple care, how much is a replacement?

It just seems like 100 bucks is a lot for a warranty on a phone that is 199 if you are upgrade eligible. What do you think?

*also, is the apple care for lost or stolen phones too?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It's $49 bucks per incident if I'm reading it wrong, also doesn't seem to guarantee a replacement, just parts and labor of the old one.

Let's say I dropped and really messed up iphone 5 and I didn't have the apple care, how much is a replacement?

It just seems like 100 bucks is a lot for a warranty on a phone that is 199 if you are upgrade eligible. What do you think?

considering each replacement outside of warranty is $229 (USD) then I'd say it's worth it to me. Gives me peace of mind.

And about the guarantee of a replacement, if it's easily fixable (cost effective), then they will repair it. If not, they will replace it.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

I believe it's around $229 to replace if you don't have AppleCare+. I got it just for extra security. Also I am always breaking my headphones and they replace broken headphones and USB charger for free with it. Those headphones are $30 each and they add up fast. I also got it since right after my 3GS warranty ended my home button broke and I ended up having to fix it myself as well as the usb docking port which I took in to get fixed to a 3rd party which since the antenna was on the same part I never had good signal after that. So with my iPhone 5 I have an extra year of warranty so if my home button breaks or my charging port stops working I can get it fixed for free. ( you only pay the $50 if it is your fault it broke like throwing it at the wall or dropping it in a toilet).

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
I think it's worth it if you use it twice and keep your phone for a long time.

If you damage it once it's not really worth it.

$99 + 50 vs. $229

$80 difference isn't too bad

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
so lets say I broke iphone 5 in 3 months, I could just pay 229 for a replacement even if I'm mid contract like that? I wasn't aware they were doing replacements?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
so lets say I broke iphone 5 in 3 months, I could just pay 229 for a replacement even if I'm mid contract like that? I wasn't aware they were doing replacements?

Yes, they refurbish your broken phone so they don't lose any money

Firestrife

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Miami
I get Applecare for almost all my apple products and I take care of em too. You never know when you're gonna need it.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
I guess I'll just add the apple care. problem is I haven't had any luck convincing ATT to push my upgrade up 3 months. So im looking at 449.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I guess I'll just add the apple care. problem is I haven't had any luck convincing ATT to push my upgrade up 3 months. So im looking at 449.

i don't think it's worth it. you're giving them $250, more than half the subsidy, so you can move the upgrade 3 months. i'd either wait it out or, if anything, give the extra $200 and buy the phone outright and not extend the contract.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
i don't think it's worth it. you're giving them $250, more than half the subsidy, so you can move the upgrade 3 months. i'd either wait it out or, if anything, give the extra $200 and buy the phone outright and not extend the contract.

interesting idea...then im not under contract for 5s or iphone 6...good call almost same money.

Chargr

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Get Squaretrade, covers everything Apple Care + has, except lost phones. All for 84$.

You can even take a broken phone to Apple, and Squaretrade will take care of it.

Deductible 49$. 3 claims per year.

I added, and its great.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
There are other options out there but Applecare is the most convenient. I would recommend it if you plan on skipping the iPhone5S and waiting for the iPhone 6.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
yeah keeping that unlimited. no way the would push me up 3 months and do 199?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Yes, they always did.
As long as you hand in your broken iphone they will issue an out of warranty replacement.
$229 for the i5, $199 for a 4S and $150 for the i4 and 3GS.

yeah keeping that unlimited. no way the would push me up 3 months and do 199?

Usually once you hit 2 months at the beggining of the last month your upgrade is moved up by 2-3 weeks.
So you're almost there.
I wouldnt pay $200 for a few months wait but up to you.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
iPhone 5 AppleCare worth it? Really?
Worth is highly subjective no matter what the topic. Whether Applecare is worth it or not is an extremely common topic and there are countless threads you can refer to for varying opinions. It's your call to make.

Nope. That's what insurance is for. Your question is easily answered by reading the details from the source:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A/applecare-for-iphone

If they don't mention loss/theft they're not just throwing the coverage in for free.

so lets say I broke iphone 5 in 3 months, I could just pay 229 for a replacement even if I'm mid contract like that?
Your contract is irrelevant. Contract is on your service -- not the phone itself.

I wasn't aware they were doing replacements?
Again, it's on the Apple site:
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

(under Warranty & Service Pricing)
Out-of-Warranty Service
If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 5 $229
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149
A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in U.S. dollars and are subject to local tax.

When setting up out-of-warranty service, Apple will request credit card pre-authorization for the maximum service fee listed above. This amount will be deducted from your credit limit. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. iPhones that are repaired or replaced have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare service contract coverage, whichever is longer. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.

no way the would push me up 3 months and do 199?
Check with a manager.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think overall (someone may have said it) there is a slight savings if you have to use both incidents.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I think overall (someone may have said it) there is a slight savings if you have to use both incidents.

There is a large savings if you use both, $80 savings if you only use one. Throw some broken headphones in there and it adds up.

Remember this extends the normal AppleCare warranty as well. So if anything goes wrong with your phone (no fault of your own) they will fix it or exchange for free. Like if your home button stops working.

90miles

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Does anyone know the replacement values when people are abroad? I can't see how I would be able to wait a couple weeks to go to an Apple store and buy a replacement phone (without AppleCare+)

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012

I use Best Buy's warranty. It's $15 a month with unlimited replacements. You only pay for it while you use it so if you sell it in 10 months thats all you pay for. I broke the screen on my 64gb and they gave me a store credit gift card w $960 loaded on it to buy a brand new one.

AppleCare is a joke. $100 up front + $49 but they don't bother to tell you that even if you don't have AppleCare you can bring in a broken iPhone 5 they'll replace it for 199 or 149 for a 4S and lower. So if it breaks in the first year you save a whopping $50 and if it breaks in the second year you save $0. Only difference is if it never breaks your out $100. I bought AppleCare when it was 79.00 and didn't cover accidental damage and they denied it because the top liquid contact indicator had a "slight hugh" of pink even though my phone never touched water.

Might as well save the cash and use it if it actually breaks

----------

I think it's worth it if you use it twice and keep your phone for a long time.

If you damage it once it's not really worth it.

$99 + 50 vs. $229

$80 difference isn't too bad

It's 199 to replace an iPhone 5 and 149 for a 4S or lower

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Well, takeshi74 's response covered all the facts.

It's like playing the lottery, but with your personal trait being one of the determining factors, for example, if you tend to be rough with your phone, then it's a consideration.

For the population as a whole, I would guess that AppleCare+ (by the way, that's what we are talking about here, not Applecare, as all Apple products comes with the standard Applecare for free), is not worth it. Apple like all insurance provider, will price their products (Applecare+ in this case) to make a profit. So they did the math and figured out that the probability of someone having a broken iPhone, the cost of $99 upfront, $49 per incident, people taking advantage of the service to get a new screen, etc., and decides that Apple itself will make money on this. Which means the population as a whole, will lose money when buying Applecare+.

But one can also argue that the advantage of any insurance is spreading the risk so that the cost is manageable in case bad things happen.

Last edited:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I bought it.

It allows me to carry my phone w/o a case and not worry about it.

I bought it for our iPad too... allows me to use it w/o a case and let my daughter use it to play games and not worry about it.

I could type similar words in regards to my wife's 4s but I think you get it by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.