Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:51 PM   #1
jeffishere
macrumors newbie

Exclamation BIG MISTAKE? Goole user got an ipad retina display 4th gen

Hi all! Our new ipad just arrived and I've never owned an Apple device...all my email, music, etc. is Google and I have an HP desktop (running Chrome). Did I make a big mistake?
Can I set up an ipad if I dont use other apple products?
What do I do?
Thanks for helping!
jeffishere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:52 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

No, you didn't make a mistake. What do you need help with?
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3
taptic
macrumors 65816

You'll be fine if not better! Apple devices are very simple to use. Even if you have never used one before, you will get the hang of it in just a couple of minutes. And yes. You can use it even without other Apple devices. You can even download iTunes onto your other computers even though they aren't Macs!
taptic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:27 PM   #4
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

The iPad 4 is amazing.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:31 PM   #5
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Most Google stuff is available for the iPad, including Google Chrome. Just search for 'Google' in the App Store!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:37 PM   #6
bigboar
macrumors 6502

you will love the ipad. first thing is set up your gmail using exchange. go to settings/mail,contacts then set using exchange. type in m.google.com for your server and enter your email address and password. all your gmail will now b pushed to your ipad..

set up iTunes and then do some searching on importing or syncing contacts,website favorites,etc. I can't remember exactly what I did. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago and I was an android user. I decided to get an iPhone 5-liked it so much I then bought an ipad 4-liked it so much I bought a MacBook Pro...lol. I didn't realize what I was missing all those years I was a pc/android user. if someone would have told me a year ago I was gonna be an iOS/osx lover I would have laughed at them. what I found out is apple stuff just simply works......

Last edited by bigboar; Dec 10, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
bigboar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:40 PM   #7
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

If you have used google music, this could help:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gomu...457883228?mt=8
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:51 PM   #8
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffishere View Post
Hi all! Our new ipad just arrived and I've never owned an Apple device...all my email, music, etc. is Google and I have an HP desktop (running Chrome). Did I make a big mistake?
What do I do?
Thanks for helping!
I always felt that the default Mail.app was very good in handling Gmail but the new Google Gmail (updated is actually more accurate) is awesome and allows you to open links in Chrome instead of Safari, which is nice.

If you want your Gmail contacts synced to the iPad you will have to set up your Gmail account as an Exchange account. All you need to have is your username (email address) and password and the server is m.google.com.

Go to Settings>>>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>>>Add Account and you'll see one of the options is Exchange.

On the last screen it will give you a choice of what too sync. By default mail, contacts and calendar are turned on. If you decide to us Google's Gmail app then just turn mail off.

Good luck and enjoy your new iPad
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:28 PM   #9
jeffishere
macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice

Thanks all!
my worry is that since i use google for everything, I may have made a mistake getting an apple product. but I will try your advice this weekend (I need to set up a wireless WIFI here at home...dont know how yet) and see how well the ipad works with gmail, google calendar, google maps, etc.

What are the most useful apps? What is best for video chat? Skype? For recording voice memos?
jeffishere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:38 PM   #10
here2rock
macrumors regular

If you purchased from Apple online you could try it and return it back within 14 days if not happy for any reasons. This is one of the benefit of buying an Apple product but be warned very hard to return it back.
here2rock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Noctilux.95
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What do I do?
Thanks for helping!
Dude, you upgraded your Subaru to a BMW M3
Noctilux.95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:42 PM   #12
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Thanks all!
my worry is that since i use google for everything, I may have made a mistake getting an apple product. but I will try your advice this weekend (I need to set up a wireless WIFI here at home...dont know how yet) and see how well the ipad works with gmail, google calendar, google maps, etc.

What are the most useful apps? What is best for video chat? Skype? For recording voice memos?
Skype works wonderfully on the iPad. You can search the App Store for voice memo apps and you don't need to worry about silly stuff like malware, viruses, trojans or any other crap that Google lets into their ecosystem.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad