Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1
rappar
macrumors member

Working with Topaz software

I have the suite of software from Topaz. I would like to make use of photoFXlab so that these products are more standalone than working from within Lightroom CSx or whatever. Topaz does not support RAW. Is there a program that would let me batch convert my raw files to a file format Topaz will recognize such as PNG? I want to avoid Jpeg files.
Thanks
Ron
rappar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

Batch converting defeats the purpose of shooting in raw to begin with, and that's the preservation of all the camera data for software adjustment. If you don't or can't take advantage of raw, why not shoot in either raw + jpeg or just jpeg to begin with? I would shoot in raw and do the basic adjustments in Aperture, PhotoShop or Lightroom and then export a jpeg to work with in Topaz.

Dale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Keleko
macrumors 68000

Topaz should accept TIFF as an input, too.
Keleko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
rappar
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Dale View Post
Batch converting defeats the purpose of shooting in raw to begin with, and that's the preservation of all the camera data for software adjustment. If you don't or can't take advantage of raw, why not shoot in either raw + jpeg or just jpeg to begin with? I would shoot in raw and do the basic adjustments in Aperture, PhotoShop or Lightroom and then export a jpeg to work with in Topaz.

Dale
But once you have exported to a jpeg, have you not tossed out all the RAW advantage? A jpeg is a lossy format so when Topaz works with it, is it not working with something less than your RAW original? That is why I wanted to convert my RAW to PSD so I kept working with a format that is not going to toss stuff away.
rappar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rappar View Post
But once you have exported to a jpeg, have you not tossed out all the RAW advantage? A jpeg is a lossy format so when Topaz works with it, is it not working with something less than your RAW original? That is why I wanted to convert my RAW to PSD so I kept working with a format that is not going to toss stuff away.
The software I'm familiar with, Aperture, exports a copy of a raw file. The original isn't deleted or changed. LR probably does the same. Your original post mentioned png. Did you mean psd?

RAW is a digital negative. Anytime you convert it to any other format you lose the ability to edit things like exposure and shadow detail.

Dale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:48 AM   #6
butch10x
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Dale View Post
The software I'm familiar with, Aperture, exports a copy of a raw file. The original isn't deleted or changed. LR probably does the same. Your original post mentioned png. Did you mean psd?

RAW is a digital negative. Anytime you convert it to any other format you lose the ability to edit things like exposure and shadow detail.

Dale
This is incorrect. I export a file from Lightroom as a smart object to photoshop, and still am able to adjust raw settings at anytime during the workflow.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/butch10x/
butch10x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:36 PM   #7
NeGRit0
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch10x View Post
This is incorrect. I export a file from Lightroom as a smart object to photoshop, and still am able to adjust raw settings at anytime during the workflow.
Technically you are both right... as a Smart Object is actually a separate file then the one being worked on/in, and hasnt been converted to anything.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography