Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:19 PM   #1
jaydee24601
macrumors newbie

Minis ... Back Scratch Fever?

Ok, so I've been incredibly anal and insane (as usual) about protecting my GORGEOUS white and silver iPad mini ... cases galore ... (I'm now using the *superb* Ridge by Devicewear) ... however, I'm thinking that it's just too thin and sexy to keep covered! How many of you are going backless on your minis and how stands the shape of the back? Are you having any scratching problems on your WHITE and SILVER models? On the Apple? Please advise! Thanks!
jaydee24601 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee24601 View Post
Ok, so I've been incredibly anal and insane (as usual) about protecting my GORGEOUS white and silver iPad mini ... cases galore ... (I'm now using the *superb* Ridge by Devicewear) ... however, I'm thinking that it's just too thin and sexy to keep covered! How many of you are going backless on your minis and how stands the shape of the back? Are you having any scratching problems on your WHITE and SILVER models? On the Apple? Please advise! Thanks!
Depends, if you bring it outside your house often, you're bound to scratch it a bit eventually. If you leave it home then you shouldn't need a case
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3
outie2k
macrumors regular

I'd suggest protecting the back with a clear skin since you are anal and insane. That's exactly what I do with iPad3 and now iPad mini. I just love being able to put the iPad on the desk without worrying about the back being scratched (which is definitely prone to damages if naked).
outie2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4
jaydee24601
macrumors newbie

THANKS so much you guys for your civil answers! I would LOVE to get a clear skin on it ... I just can't physically install one for myself. Here in Hooterville, where I live (a slightly remote locale) ... there are no installation places!
jaydee24601 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:33 PM   #5
here2rock
macrumors regular

It is good to get a good quality back cover. It keeps the heat down, protects from scratches and generally better to hold as without the cover it is too slippery.
here2rock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Shadowbech
macrumors 6502a

I carry my iPad mini where I go and it is naked (except the smart cover covering the front). So far no nicks, no scratches, no dents. It is like as if it just came out of the box.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:41 PM   #7
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
there are way too many threads with iPad minis being scratched already. i suggest you keep it in the case.
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:23 PM   #8
ZhenyaF
macrumors regular

If its made of the same material as iPhone 5 then it's probably just as prone to scratches
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:28 PM   #9
iSensei
Banned

Quote:
Dude it's an ipad not a freaking Picasso...
iSensei is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:38 PM   #10
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a

the iPad mini is finally cheap enough and perfect enough that i don't care scratching it up the wazoo. i can afford a new iPad without having to sell this one
FrozenDarkness is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:42 PM   #11
Philalbe
macrumors 6502

I went through a few cheap cases. I'm now using this one. Pretty damn good. Reminds me of the official "smart case" for the larger iPad.

http://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-Polyuret..._cd_al_qh_dp_i
Philalbe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:57 PM   #12
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502

Mini's at the apple store look pretty good, both black and white. They are handled quite a bit
rowspaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:57 PM   #13
dinggus
Banned

What about the bezel getting scratched?
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:24 PM   #14
lawhochun
macrumors member

I have a White mini for about a month without any base case , just a smart cover. So far I got about 2-3 tiny scuffs on the bezel. The back is completely scratch free.

IMO, the whole purpose of iPad mini is about its design + thinness and lightness, putting on a back case on would completely destroy that. I used to have a back case for my iPad 2 3G and took really good care of it, it is because I paid US$629 for that thing. I paid much less for the mini ($329) and I didn't feel like I need to protect it that much, I just wanna enjoy the beauty of it!

Who cares if it gets scratched or not, just enjoy its sexyness. And apple products resell value doesnt seems to vary much if the devices have scratches on it, at least from my own experiences.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:04 AM   #15
Lartymarf
macrumors regular

Bare back is the only way to go! With Smart Cover of course.
Lartymarf is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:05 AM   #16
maflynn

I went with ghost armor front and back and use the smart cover. Scratches are bound to happen with usage so adding a level of protection will allow my mini to be scratch free
maflynn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:17 AM   #17
Nychot
macrumors 6502a

Dont worry so much about scratching the back as dropping it even a short distance and smashing the screen which id what happened to mind EVEN in a well protected leather case. The screen is VERY THIN.

Quote:
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:28 AM   #18
here2rock
macrumors regular

Talking

I wonder if you could use a condom for the back side, full protection.
here2rock is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:47 AM   #19
urkel
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSensei View Post
Dude it's an ipad not a freaking Picasso...
What a poor attempt at being condescending. A Picasso is put on a wall and appreciated from a distance while an iPad is put In a bag, slid across a desk and physically handled on a daily basis.

And in this case, it is also a very very easily scratched tech product that has an obvious and glaring shortcoming with the screen which means many people fully intend on upgrading so maintaining the condition for the resale market is important.

As for the topic, I use the Skinomi back skins ($4 on amazon) and after only a few weeks them those exposed beveled edges are still flaking off so reselling is going to be tough for owners of the black version after a solid year of usage if you don't use a full body case.
urkel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:52 AM   #20
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I say get a life and actually USE your iDevices without fear of scratching. Using a device fearful of scratching it isn't really "using" it.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:45 PM   #21
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

A cover is not the end all for ensuring if one drops a device there would be no damage BUT spending at least $329 I would advise a cover. Accidents happen no matter how careful one is. So some protection is better than nothing IMHO and therefore scratches are alleviated mostly to the back as well.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:26 PM   #22
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Minis ...Back Scratch Fever
OK, OP, admit it-- you're not fretting scuffs to your mini, you're just a huge Nuge fan and wanted to see that title immortalized on this forum...
designs216 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:38 PM   #23
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

It's aluminum and therefore it can scratch. Put it in a back case and relax, otherwise, based on your post, you will never stop worrying about it.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:01 PM   #24
bcaslis
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
As for the topic, I use the Skinomi back skins ($4 on amazon) and after only a few weeks them those exposed beveled edges are still flaking off so reselling is going to be tough for owners of the black version after a solid year of usage if you don't use a full body case.
I have two black iPad minis, one from 11/2 and the other from 11/15. Neither has any scratches or anything flaking off.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:24 PM   #25
TaylorMatsu
macrumors member

Quote:
http://imageshack.us/a/img145/232/photolzl.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img600/307/photo1pox.jpg

Where I am pointing there is a small scratch that I realized isnt even detectable on camera. I have to hold it under the light to see it.

I only use the Smart Cover so the back of my mini is naked.

Nothing horrible yet thankfully!!!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad