Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:43 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Testing Television Set Prototypes, 'Isn't a Formal Project Yet'

Continuing the flurry of Apple television rumors in recent days following CEO Tim Cook's brief comments on the topic as part of an interview on Rock Center last week, The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is indeed testing designs for future television set products. The report adds little to existing rumors, but does indicate that work is continuing and keeps the topic fresh in the public's mind.
Quote:
Officials at some of Apple's suppliers, who declined to be named, said the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has been working on testing a few designs for a large-screen high-resolution TV.

Two people said Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., which assembles the iPhone and iPad, has been collaborating with Japan's Sharp Corp. on the design of the new television.

"It isn't a formal project yet. It is still in the early stage of testing," said one of the people.
The report notes that Apple has been testing television set prototypes for a number of years and that the company tests many different prototype products that never come to market, making clear that a launch is not imminent and that Apple could ultimately scrap its plans.

Article Link: Apple Testing Television Set Prototypes, 'Isn't a Formal Project Yet'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:47 AM   #2
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502

We want an Apple TV! My television is so old already.
SamGabbay is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:49 AM   #3
dmunz
macrumors regular

This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.

FWIW
DLM
dmunz is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Technarchy
macrumors 601

I love that TV makers are trying to beat Apple to the punch with shoddy UI's, wonky voice control and terrible "app" support.

Apple will do something cool and everyone will copy and say it was obvious...what isn't obvious when someone does it first?
Technarchy is online now   21 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:50 AM   #5
newdeal
macrumors 68000

so if they are doing it with Sharp is there a chance this may be a 5mm thick, edge to edge igzo screen using the same welding process as the imac?
newdeal is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:50 AM   #6
iDento
macrumors member

Her we go!

And I'm testing a new "Apple Television Set" bank account!
iDento is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Goldfinger
macrumors 6502

Ultra glossy TV.. No thanks!
Goldfinger is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:58 AM   #8
iPadPublisher
macrumors 6502

Calling b.s.

While I have no doubts at all that Apple is working on something for TV, the part about two outside companies "collaborating on design" is total horsesh-t. We all know that Apple wouldn't have others involved in that.

Now mayb it's just written poorly and they meant engineering, assembly, components, or something else -- but they said "design."
iPadPublisher is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:58 AM   #9
RetepNamenots
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
An Apple TV would be updated every year like all their other products, making it just as obsolete just as quickly (if not faster)
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:59 AM   #10
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I want an Oompa Loompa now!
bjm2660 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:01 AM   #11
wigby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunz View Post
This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.

FWIW
DLM
an apple tv wouldn't be entering the market. a tv panel with built in apple tv os, dvr, siri ui, etc. would be a new market entirely. just like apple did with all previous products. and when you create a market, you get to set the price points meaning they will still get a nice margin per set.
wigby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:04 AM   #12
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's just a REALLY large iPod touch...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:04 AM   #13
perealb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunz View Post

FWIW
DLM
I agree with you 100%. I think they should base their "TV product" on something like a TiVo. It would basically be a TiVo with Siri and Apps. Apple TiVi?
perealb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:04 AM   #14
Krazy Bill
Banned

It'll never happen.

Apple needs Sharp and Samsung. Instead of hoarding their billions and partnering with these tech leaders, Apple should've been building their own supply chains they themselves could control. Jobs was so proud of Apple's ability to turn over this grunt work to others. His biggest mistake.

Besides, there is nothing innovative about getting existing content to display on a TV screen. And if Apple can't dictate what that content is who needs Apple?
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:06 AM   #15
iPadPublisher
macrumors 6502

My family loves our 74" Sharp LED set. I highly doubt Apple would do a model past 65" which drives me out. Unless they update the hockey puck so I can still get 90% of the functionality.
iPadPublisher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:06 AM   #16
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by croooow View Post
It's just a REALLY large iPod touch...
It's the 3rd tier of the iPad. Your choices are:

iPad Mini
iPad
iPad Maxi
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Besides, there is nothing innovative about getting existing content to display on a TV screen. And if Apple can't dictate what that content is who needs Apple?
Kind of like how it isn't innovative to make a phone call?
Diode is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:08 AM   #18
wigby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadPublisher View Post
While I have no doubts at all that Apple is working on something for TV, the part about two outside companies "collaborating on design" is total horsesh-t. We all know that Apple wouldn't have others involved in that.

Now mayb it's just written poorly and they meant engineering, assembly, components, or something else -- but they said "design."
"design" doesn't mean anything in particular. samsung provides many of the components so apple works with them in designing the iphone based on the current component supplies and some custom designs too (a5).
wigby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:09 AM   #19
Rocketman
macrumors 603

As I have been saying for years now, when Apple makes a display it will be 4K. The first confirmation we had for this was the "Retina Display" on the iPhone. Since then we have seen increasingly large high resolution displays from Apple. At some point the streams will cross and Apple will have purchased enough factory capacity and developed the large size panel production to the point they can actually fill 15m orders for 36" and 52" 4K format TV's. Of course like an iMac or an iPad it will have a little computer inside. I feel sorry for all the Fedex drivers.

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.p...rchid=31790562

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=178
(Oct 2009)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=458
(Dec 2006)

Rocketman

Last edited by Rocketman; Dec 12, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Rocketman is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:10 AM   #20
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

My preference is STILL a set top box like it is now, with unbundled channels - connected to a Thunderbolt display. Siri, apps, unbundled channel options, Facetime in the Thunderbolt display. Simple remote.

I'd pay for this, especially if I can have the channels I want, and dump the channels I pay for but never use (I'm looking at YOU, Hallmark channel)
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:13 AM   #21
nfl46
macrumors 601

I guess we can confirm that the 4.8" iPhone rumor is true. But that still doesn't mean Apple will release it in 2014.
nfl46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:13 AM   #22
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

Whatever happened to them already being in mass manufacturing like several months ago? Oh that's right, ALL APPLE TV RUMORS are absolute b.s. but saying something about the Apple TV is a guaranteed ad revenue generator.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:14 AM   #23
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Any Apple TV ambitions are dead in the water until they get the content providers on board. When they have the content contracts sorted then we may see something serious in this area but it is unlikely to happen before, there wouldn't be much point.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregintosh View Post
Whatever happened to them already being in mass manufacturing like several months ago? Oh that's right, ALL APPLE TV RUMORS are absolute b.s. but saying something about the Apple TV is a guaranteed ad revenue generator.
Exactly.
everything-i is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:18 AM   #24
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Apple should just devote their time and resources to improve their current products and services than step into an entirely new market with hundreds of competitors.

If Apple can spend resources to start a new Television set project, I'd rather they spend some on salvaging more critical issues at hand such as the problematic, error-filled and almost life-threatening Maps application. Why start on a new project when current ones like this aren't completely completed yet?
Beeplance is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:22 AM   #25
iRCL
macrumors 6502

TV is so outdated anyway. The whole thing just feels like the race off between HD DVD and blue-ray.. racing to be the best at something practically obsolete

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Apple should just devote their time and resources to improve their current products and services than step into an entirely new market with hundreds of competitors.

If Apple can spend resources to start a new Television set project, I'd rather they spend some on salvaging more critical issues at hand such as the problematic, error-filled and almost life-threatening Maps application. Why start on a new project when current ones like this aren't completely completed yet?
Because there are more than 20 people working at the company
iRCL is offline   9 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion