Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Choctaw
macrumors Demi-God

New iMac teardown shows lack of repairability

ITPROPORTAL takes new iMac apart, gives bad repairabllity score for the product. Apple is gluiing parts together, the display glass is glued to the frame, replacing parts is very difficult. Read the report at

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/12/0...own-treatment/

Saving a buck might cause loss of sales with this new method.
Choctaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:19 PM   #2
iLondoner
macrumors regular

Location: London (the big one, not London Ohio, Texas, Kentucky, etc)
So you didn't read any of the other threads in the iMac section saying that it wasn't too difficult to remove the adhesive?

And where on earth does the report mention ANYTHING about lack of high quality construction?
iLondoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Nugget
macrumors Demi-God

"Repairability" and "Quality" really aren't the same thing at all. Very misleading thread title.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
kidwei
macrumors regular

I thought I'd read on another thread that the 27" imac uses magnets, but I can't find anything to corroborate that.. so don't quote me on it. Guess we'll never know until a proper teardown is done. I'm personally not interested in self-repairing my iMac and will probably opt for AppleCare.. but bummer to those who like to tinker.
kidwei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Choctaw
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLondoner View Post
So you didn't read any of the other threads in the iMac section saying that it wasn't too difficult to remove the adhesive?

And where on earth does the report mention ANYTHING about lack of high quality construction?

Your post fits right in with some of the members that think they can read minds and tell just want it is all about. If I read any other posts means nothing, to me. The web site I referenced are professional in the work they do and if they had trouble with the gluing of parts together it means a lack of quality work, thus construction is not up to industry standards that Apple has been better at in the past.

Thru the years of reading this forum I have found it to be sometimes very informative, and other times just a place for people who want to attack a post just to toot their horn, with very little logic involved.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwei View Post
I thought I'd read on another thread that the 27" imac uses magnets, but I can't find anything to corroborate that.. so don't quote me on it. Guess we'll never know until a proper teardown is done. I'm personally not interested in self-repairing my iMac and will probably opt for AppleCare.. but bummer to those who like to tinker.
The older iMacs did use magnets.......thus suction cups were use to take them apart..........did not have to cut up a bunch of glued parts and try and put them back in place. Bummer for sure.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:45 PM   #6
rworne
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw View Post
ITPROPORTAL takes new iMac apart, gives bad repairabllity score for the product. Apple is gluiing parts together, the display glass is glued to the frame, replacing parts is very difficult. Read the report at

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/12/0...own-treatment/

Saving a buck might cause loss of sales with this new method.
Honestly, the only gripe I have about recent iMac design is the lack of ability to get to the hard drive to replace/upgrade it and the 21.5" iMac's lack of access to the RAM slot(s).

These two items people usually would want to replace or upgrade. Paying Apple big bucks for an HD replacement sucks - will they even replace the HD with a larger model?

Lack of access doesn't dissuade me too much. It didn't stop me from getting a Retina Macbook Pro. I just find it annoying there's no way to upgrade the RAM because some product designer didn't want to see a seam on the bottom of the case.

I do not understand the "lack of high quality construction" bit. These latest products show lots of attention to detail, fit, and finish.
rworne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:49 PM   #7
iLondoner
macrumors regular

Location: London (the big one, not London Ohio, Texas, Kentucky, etc)
It's naïve to take things at face value. iFixit is a company selling kits and bits to upgrade iMacs and doesn't like the fact there's glue tape rather than magnets.

For a balanced appreciation of the situation read the posts and photos by R.OG starting at post #65 here.

There are several other threads on the subject. Nevertheless, I have to point out that probably 95% or more of iMac owners will never open their machines.
iLondoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
"Repairability" and "Quality" really aren't the same thing at all. Very misleading thread title.
Yea. Low repairability in any newer designed Mac product (and this goes for iOS devices as well) is nothing new. The new lightning cable and adapters are also all glued together as well but have proven to be incredibly durable over existing computer cables. To me that stands for better build quality.

Yes, the thread title is rather misleading.
Icaras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

So people complain about dust particles and glare, Apple attempt to fix that and they get people's backs up. Steve Jobs was right. The consumer doesn't know what she wants.
Confuzzzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Choctaw
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Sorry to mislead you…..my thought was that the new process of gluing parts rather than securing them as Apple did prier to this new way of affixing the screen to the frame looked to me to be a quality issue. Heat, ageing, vibrations, coldness, are but a few environmental issues that might cause failure of the glue along with the problem of removing the screen to fix any internal issues. If in the process of repairing something you can’t get it back together to its original condition and function, then the Quality has been compromised.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:00 PM   #11
joshhedge
macrumors regular

They probably had a "Made in the USA" model
joshhedge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:00 PM   #12
niuniu
Banned

Can't see 'lack of high quality construction' in the article.

You pull that out of thin air?
niuniu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:01 PM   #13
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw View Post
Sorry to mislead you…..my thought was that the new process of gluing parts rather than securing them as Apple did prier to this new way of affixing the screen to the frame looked to me to be a quality issue. Heat, ageing, vibrations, coldness, are but a few environmental issues that might cause failure of the glue along with the problem of removing the screen to fix any internal issues. If in the process of repairing something you can’t get it back together to its original condition and function, then the Quality has been compromised.
The sole reason for this new method is to pack things as tightly as possible and achieve the thinness Apple is seeking. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the construction.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:02 PM   #14
Ryan.Tanner
macrumors regular

Couldn't it be argued that an aluminum+glass construction is way higher quality than 99% of the computers on the market that use plastic?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:05 PM   #15
Choctaw
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.Tanner View Post
Couldn't it be argued that an aluminum+glass construction is way higher quality than 99% of the computers on the market that use plastic?
Yes it could be......fact is on this forum anything can and is argued. Cause there are many who feel they know everything and don't want to learn more.
Choctaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:05 PM   #16
maflynn

[MOD NOTE]
I updated the title to make it less of an issue and the topic can be discussed without further ado.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:10 PM   #17
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Obviously there is a difference in repairability and 'quality'. Friction stir welding in too many other AIOs? And what do you think holds bits of silicon onto motherboards and other bits together? Thread? Glue is everywhere inside a computer. And modern day automotive engines. And it's not pritt stick glue we are talking about...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:18 PM   #18
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post
And modern day automotive engines. And it's not pritt stick glue we are talking about...
I am not sure why some people on these forums have no idea what industrial adhesives are and why they think using such products equates to low quality construction.

Here is an example of what an adhesive is

http://www.pratley.com/DIY_Adhesives.htm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:22 PM   #19
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeb View Post
I am not sure why some people on these forums have no idea what industrial adhesives are and why they think using such products equates to low quality construction.

I have some experience of dental adhesive technology so agree with you 100%. People just looking for excuses not to buy a machine. Which is fine. Whatever works for each individual. But why feel the need to come on here and start negative threads on stuff other people are paying good money for...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:35 PM   #20
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned

Quote:

Because others (and apple in the past) are using more elegant ways to assemble (and disassemble in case of an upgrade or repair) the device, such as magnets (as apple used to do) and levers (hp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post
So people complain about dust particles and glare, Apple attempt to fix that and they get people's backs up. Steve Jobs was right. The consumer doesn't know what she wants.
Excuse me? What's that got to do with gluing the screen to the chassis? Apple tried to fix a problem they had themselves introduced with the glass overlay so they got a subcontractor to finally laminate the glass to the screen, and finally treated the glass with some antiglare coatings that every dime a dozen crt used to have 10-15 years ago. But that has absolutely no bearing on if they are going to use magnets or adhesives to keep the screen in place.

They fixed one problem they themselves created only to introduce another by changing what they had implemented well to begin with. Way to go...

At this rate of progress by 2025 the imac might even be height adjustable and have ergonomics akin to what other manufacturers have had for more than 30 years...
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:36 PM   #21
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God

Facts have shot holes through this thread. Time to close up shop...
Scrub175 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:43 PM   #22
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
Because others (and apple in the past) are using more elegant ways to assemble (and disassemble in case of an upgrade or repair) the device, such as magnets (as apple used to do) and levers (hp).

Excuse me? What's that got to do with gluing the screen to the chassis? Apple tried to fix a problem they had themselves introduced with the glass overlay so they got a subcontractor to finally laminate the glass to the screen, and finally treated the glass with some antiglare coatings that every dime a dozen crt used to have 10-15 years ago. But that has absolutely no bearing on if they are going to use magnets or adhesives to keep the screen in place.

They fixed one problem they themselves created only to introduce another by changing what they had implemented well to begin with. Way to go...
Elegance and fixability have nothing to do with what I am talking about. The OP clearly states that he believes using industrial adhesives shows lack of quality (before a mod changed the title). This is the point that I am making. I cannot see how one can come to the conclusion that using industrial adhesives equates to poor quality, unless the person coming up with this logic is the kind of person that spent their high school years trying to get high by sniffing paper glue and concluding that due to the distinct lack of a "high" and only being rewarded with a head ache, means that any adhesive = poor quality product for the job.

Don't misconstrue what I have said though. Nowhere in this thread have I postulated that not allowing the one component in a computer that is most prone to failure to be easily replaceable is a good design choice. I disagree with this direction that Apple is taking and it is bad for the consumer. I do get annoyed when I have to listen about "glue = bad quality" though.

However, I am easily able to fix the problem by ordering a Mac with a normal hard drive and then buying a rear shelf and a very fast external TB SSD to store the OS. The ergonomic issue regarding the iMac is a real one and hence why I am not planning to buy one. But again, that isn't the point of this discussion.

For example:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H9...olt-hard-drive

Last edited by theSeb; Dec 12, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
theSeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:46 PM   #23
Mister Bumbo
macrumors 6502

If people really are as experienced and adept at "self-repairing" computers as they claim to be, they'd be knowledgeable enough to know the compromises made for the iMac's form factor, and then either live with it or buy a different computer if it's a deal-breaking issue.
Mister Bumbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:50 PM   #24
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned

Quote:
Elegance and fixability have nothing to do with this thread. The OP clearly states that he believes using industrial adhesives shows lack of quality (before a mod changed the title). This is the point that I am making. I cannot see how one can come to the conclusion that using industrial adhesives equates to poor quality, unless the person coming up with this logic is the kind of person that spent their high school years trying to get high by sniffing paper glue and concluding that due to the distinct lack of a "high" and only being rewarded with a head ache, means that any adhesive = poor quality product for the job.

Don't misconstrue what I have said though. Nowhere in this thread have I postulated that not allowing the one component in a computer that is most prone to failure to be easily replaceable is a good design choice. I disagree with this direction that Apple is taking and it is bad for the consumer. I do get annoyed when I have to listen about "glue = bad quality" though.

However, I am easily able to fix the problem by ordering a Mac with a normal hard drive and then buying a rear shelf and a very fast external TB SSD to store the OS. The ergonomic issue regarding the iMac is a real one and hence why I am not planning to buy one. But again, that isn't the point of this discussion.

For example:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H9...olt-hard-drive
Fair enough.

(As an aside the way apple's playing it this will be the first AIO that will actually be much more of a Not That Much In One, and the original clutter free desk purpose it 's supposed to serve will be going out the window with usb and sd card hubs for easy access, external speakers with proper bass (as opposed to speakers with bass worse than that of the kindle hd...), external boot thunderbolt drives, external odds, dangling thunderbolt to firewire adapters etc...)

Last edited by MacFoodPoisoner; Dec 12, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:17 PM   #25
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
Fair enough.

(As an aside the way apple's playing it this will be the first AIO that will actually be much more of a Not That Much In One, and the original clutter free desk purpose it 's supposed to serve will be going out the window with usb and sd card hubs for easy access, external speakers with proper bass (as opposed to speakers with bass worse than that of the kindle hd...), external boot thunderbolt drives, external odds, dangling thunderbolt to firewire adapters etc...)
Indeed. I have actually had this discussion on these forums here many times when people start to question why do people want a Mac Pro (or a Mac Pro lite) when the iMac is so awesome. To demonstrate the point I drew a diagram some time ago to show what a mess one will create if they want a couple of external drives and possibly an external Thunderbolt GPU (which haven't arrived, but the proponents of the iMac were arguing that it would make a Mac Pro obsolete, regardless of the fact that TB does not have the bandwidth that a medium to high end desktop GPU needs)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac