Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Software Update just popped up. Small 4.5 MB update. I will wait for the early adopters to rule out any major problems.

Security Update 2005-008 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users.

This update includes the following components:

ImageIO
LibSystem
Mail
QuickDraw
Ruby
SecurityAgent
securityd

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Security Update 2005-008 for Mac OS X

Apple has released a new Security update in your Mac OS X Software Update. Security Update 2005-008 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users.

This update includes the following components:

- ImageIO
- LibSystem
- Mail
- QuickDraw
- Ruby
- SecurityAgent
- securityd

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

Update: iPod software update 2005-09-23 has also been released. It includes iPod Software 1.1.2 for iPod shuffle, which contains bug fixes.

Dokter_Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
Just installed the update , no problems here ;-)

--------------------------------
PowerMac G5 Dual 2,7 Ghz ; Radeon 9800 ; 2,5 Gbyte RAM ...

"The best way to accelerate a computer 'running' Windows ,
is by gravytation"

mattmack

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2002
San Francisco Area
crazzyeddie said:
Quickdraw? What? Didn't Apple phase that out in like 10.1?
It seems to have links with safari and mail and a buffer overflow could cause a malicous script to be executed or something to that affect (from the security info on the apple site)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
just because i like the name Ruby (god knows what it is though) im gonna download this. then back up all my drives because im running out of free space! gardarnit!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
ooo seemingly new iPod update too. lets hope this enables the G5 processor. damn i wanna play real-life Tetris using the 'pod as a virtual wand controller now.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Interesting that they're getting to things before Secunia reports them as trouble. Take that, Secunia! :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
it updates all the iPod range. so it seems. i dont get this theres no news about this anywhere, not even here? i thought i may have been the only one. or the FIRST! or maybe not...

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Obligatory "iTunes loads faster" and "Safari seems snappier" post :eek:

WOF, WOF - DAWG
pawprintred.gif

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
crazzyeddie said:
Quickdraw? What? Didn't Apple phase that out in like 10.1?
QuickDraw was basically moth balled back when Mac OS X came out being superseded by Quartz 2D. Of course it continues to work to this day in Mac OS X however it hasn't seen any optimizations made in a long time. As of Mac OS X 10.4 Apple considers it fully deprecated and it is likely it will disappear in a future major release of Mac OS X.

With resolution independent display support almost ready to go in Mac OS X 10.4 Apple wants QuickDraw to go away.

Likely the products referenced use it for PICT support but that is about it.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
raggedjimmi said:
it updates all the iPod range. so it seems. i dont get this theres no news about this anywhere, not even here? i thought i may have been the only one. or the FIRST! or maybe not...

I have that update too cept it fails to download on both the new powerbook and G5, haven't done anything with the old powerbook in a while

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
maya said:
Server busy, my downloads keep timing out. :p :(

I had no problem downloading it. I have also got the iPod updater, but it hasn't bring any new updates for my model.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Grrrrrrrr... So close!

I want my iPod color update! Those nano people get Screen Lock, World Clock, Stopwatch, Lyrics, and a tweaked UI! Me want!

MWSF Maybe? With the iPod 5G if it comes out?

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
a big, fatty, :D for Shuffle bug fixes. Mine behaves oddly sometimes... it forgets where it is in the playlist, always starting on the same song from a power-off state. Or sometimes it just stops playing and flashes green until I reset it! Cuh-razy

Security update on a Thursday? I think we will see 10.4.3 next week. (wild speculation)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
raggedjimmi said:
just because i like the name Ruby (god knows what it is though) im gonna download this. then back up all my drives because im running out of free space! gardarnit!

Ruby is a programming language. Cross-platform. (Linux/Win/Mac)

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
despite the fact their is a new ipod software update out, it does not contain updates to the ipod photo or color ipods at all.. ~sigh~ maybe next time.. :( i would think the 3d world clocks and the stopwatch that are implemented in the nano would be an easy firmware addition to the photo/color series ipods. :confused:

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
Shuffle update?!

Holy crap, I've GOT to download this! Hope it fixes that Podcast bug that makes it think the beginning of the cast in the middle of it.

Will post update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.