Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunilraman

macrumors regular
MacDawg said:
Obligatory "iTunes loads faster" and "Safari seems snappier" post :eek:

WOF, WOF - DAWG
pawprintred.gif

hey. more enthusiasm next time!! :D just because its obligatory doesnt mean you can't make it exciting..!!

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
svenas1 said:
I can totally understand mikataur here. yeah, he bought the iPod with a certain feature set, but it's not an unchangeable object as such. The iPod has a huge hard drive on it which leaves ample room for improvements via software. Apple can easily choose to update that sw. If they don't, it's their choice - and I can understand how one could be disappointed by that.

The iPod firmware is not saved on the HD but rather on a flash ROM.

PanicRoom

macrumors newbie
Hooray!

Mavimao said:
Shuffle update?!

Holy crap, I've GOT to download this! Hope it fixes that Podcast bug that makes it think the beginning of the cast in the middle of it.

Will post update.

Trying to play Podcasts (especially podiobooks) on a shuffle is a total nightmare: it refuses to place them in the right order, gets stuck on chapter markers and often won't load at all. Any update to the Shuffle has got to be a good thing! :)

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Off-topic posts...

Sorry guys, but the topic is on SECURITY UPDATE FOR MAC OS X...not for the iPod...so we're wasting almost 2 pages for useless discussions about something that doesn't concern Mac OS (yep, the usual whining about "why my Shuffle can't have the same features as the iPod Photo" and so on) ...you could start a new thread, really.

As for THIS TOPIC, the update was installed with no problems at all, as usual.

But Safari still fails the Acid2 test...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
BRLawyer said:
Sorry guys, but the topic is on SECURITY UPDATE FOR MAC OS X...not for the iPod...so we're wasting almost 2 pages for useless discussions about something that doesn't concern Mac OS (yep, the usual whining about "why my Shuffle can't have the same features as the iPod Photo" and so on) ...you could start a new thread, really.

Thread topic also mentions the iPod update:

Update: iPod software update 2005-09-23 has also been released. It includes iPod Software 1.1.2 for iPod shuffle, which contains bug fixes.

PanicRoom

macrumors newbie
BRLawyer said:

Since arn didn't think the threads needed to be separated (tacking the iPod update onto the Security update thread) who are we to argue with the boss? We're all just sheep and follow the leader — and sheep bleat, we don't whine. :D

So as for THESE TOPICS, it good to see Apple keeping things rolling and fixing issues across the board.

iMThomas

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2005
Ruston, Louisiana
After installation, my computer posted "OS X needs keychain password for SYSTEM" and asked me to enter it. I have no idea what my system keychain password is. I had this the first time I installed Tiger because I wanted to see what my WEP key was set to and it asked me what I set that keychain password to... I tried every password I could think of and none worked so I did a fresh reinstall and that fixed it. I hope this doesn't mean I have to format and reinstall again to fix this security update...

Anyone else come across this?

I swear... We Single G5 1.8 late-2004's are catching everything from Apple in a bad way it seems like... I'm starting to really hate my computer and of course Apple says they'll only replace it with another late 2004 G5 1.8.... How stupid since the problem is -with- the late 2004 g5 1.8's.

I wonder if I should even bother buying another mac once I ebay this thing in the next couple of months out of frustration.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Has anyone else noticed how these Security Update threads are essentially nothing more than "free post count increasing threads" for some people. If there is a problem with the update, by all means, share, warn and educate others, but if it installs fine, why say so? Is there a real benefit to saying, "Just installed it, everything seems fine! ;)"

And there's my early morning rant for today. Carry on. :cool:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
rdowns said:
I will wait for the early adopters to rule out any major problems.

~Shard~ said:
Has anyone else noticed how these Security Update threads are essentially nothing more than "free post count increasing threads" for some people. If there is a problem with the update, by all means, share, warn and educate others, but if it installs fine, why say so?

At least one person should claim it works okay, if only for original thread starter rdowns's benefit. :p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mad jew said:
At least one person should claim it works okay, if only for original thread starter rdowns's benefit. :p

I'll give you that, mad jew - but it has to be you who posts that - then it's okay. ;) :cool:

Edit: Oh, and I never congratulated you on joining our exclusive "Macrumors 601 Club" - well done! :cool:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So you read the original thread then? Yeah, apparently the mods disagree with me then. :D

And thanks for the congratulations. I wonder how many of those 5000 posts were made confirming the compatibility of security updates. :D

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Seems to have fixed

Seems to have fixed a hang in Safari when I upload pictures to my website.

Took a long time to optimize though ... I thought it had hung at the end, but eventually made it through after 10 minutes.

Don't forget (everyone) to run permissions repair after updates like this!

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
~Shard~ said:
Has anyone else noticed how these Security Update threads are essentially nothing more than "free post count increasing threads" for some people. If there is a problem with the update, by all means, share, warn and educate others, but if it installs fine, why say so? Is there a real benefit to saying, "Just installed it, everything seems fine! ;)"

And there's my early morning rant for today. Carry on. :cool:

Actualy, those posts do serve a purpose. It helps people get a better sence of how safe an install it. If nobody said, "installed, seems fine" and only people with problems posted it would discourage others from installing the update when they should. We don't want people not installing a security update because they think it will break things when in fact it is fine now do we?

I'll be installing it later today (not at my comp to do it now).

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Well, it finally downloaded and installed today.

Just goes to show you that a Mac user takes security updates very serious and updates as soon as possible. It odd however I believe that Mac users actually get excited in regards to ANY update. :eek: ;) :p :D

Windows users are always confused since they are not sure if the PC will start-up or just blow up. :p ;) :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm happy to see the Security Update. Thank you Apple for including Panther.

Qunchuy

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
iMThomas said:
After installation, my computer posted "OS X needs keychain password for SYSTEM" and asked me to enter it. I have no idea what my system keychain password is.
Same here -- it asked for it after the required restart. I thought I knew my keychain password, but it didn't work. It soon told me I had entered the wrong password too many times and I'd have to wait to try again later. The password request mentioned airport, so I figured I wouldn't have access to my wireless network, but everything came up and connected just fine.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
yippy said:
Actualy, those posts do serve a purpose. It helps people get a better sence of how safe an install it. If nobody said, "installed, seems fine" and only people with problems posted it would discourage others from installing the update when they should. We don't want people not installing a security update because they think it will break things when in fact it is fine now do we?

Actually this is a good point. I just needed something to rant about this morning, so thought I'd pick on this thread. You're right though, it does help give people a greater sense of confidence. :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
wdlove said:
I'm happy to see the Security Update. Thank you Apple for including Panther.

I, too, was happy to see this update for Panther as well. I honestly don't know if I'll be moving to Tiger or not, and perhaps even just waiting for Leopard, so it's nice to know Apple isn't forgetting about me. Now when they start releasing security updates a year from now and I'm still on Panther, I guess we'll see if this is still the case. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.