Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:56 PM   #1
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Anybody not using their Ipads enough?

I have an Ipad 2 for 3-4 months already.

I can only get around 1-2 hours of usage per day because im at work from 9-6 and after i got home i turned on my Laptop to resume my movie download and surf the web while im at it anyway.

After that i watch my series until midnight and go to sleep.

so i only use the Ipad in between after i turned off my computer and waiting to watch my series. I try to use them while watching but i can't focus. I use them more on Weekends but still. Should i sell it for somthing more portable? I dont want Ipad mini since i can't bring any type of tablet to work anyway. Not appropriate. Maybe an Ipod touch 5? The price is not compromising at all.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:06 PM   #2
iAll
macrumors member

That's when the cell model becomes more useful; when your not at home.
iAll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:47 PM   #3
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

I use it enough. Usually on my 1 hour, 20 minute train commutes everyday (twice a day) to the city, and also when I'm at school. Also, when I'm in bed, the 17'' laptop is a hassle to bring in the bed, so I'm on the iPad during then, too.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:50 PM   #4
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

I am the opposite. I recently went iPad full time and will be selling my MacBook Air 2012.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:00 AM   #5
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a

Two years ago I felt like I wasn't using the iPad enough. Two or three months later it became my reading device for school articles and books ever since.

For writing or playing the photographer I'll use the Mac.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:24 AM   #6
yinz
macrumors 6502a

It's on and off for me. For awhile after I got a new notebook, I had been using that more often and didn't touch the iPad much for several months. Recently, I've discovered a very interesting new app, so now I've been picking up the iPad more. It's almost much easier to use the iPad as a diagnostic tool for my family computer ailments than carrying around a notebook..
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:14 AM   #7
aleni
macrumors 68000

I went ipad mini and sold my iphone 5, now it's only a mini and a sony xperia sola only used for phone and sms only.

This way, the mini gets used all the time.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:38 AM   #8
maflynn

I didn't use my iPad one too much, it was not has "holdable" as I wanted it to be. I wait a few years and boom - the iPad mini. I use that all time, for me its a great little tablet
maflynn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

I used it when teaching in class, in tandem with an Apple TV. So from 8 am to 1 pm, I may use it for 2-4 hours. Then at home, I use it to surf the web, play games and watch youtube. In the afternoon, I may stream music or do misc stuff while doing my work in the staff room.

Sometimes, when I have to give presentations, I do so from my ipad, as well as craft simple documents. In short, it has become a secondary laptop of sorts. I may use it all day from start to end.

And yes, I am grateful for that godly battery life.
Abazigal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:41 AM   #10
designs216
macrumors 65816

The boss bought these for the whole sales team thinking it would make them look more hip presenting from an iPad. That really didn't pan out as the sales presentations are heavily enhanced with Flash. So the expensive iToys are gathering dust and the guys are still presenting from their laptops.
designs216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:52 AM   #11
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

'define enough'.....
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:16 AM   #12
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
The boss bought these for the whole sales team thinking it would make them look more hip presenting from an iPad. That really didn't pan out as the sales presentations are heavily enhanced with Flash. So the expensive iToys are gathering dust and the guys are still presenting from their laptops.
Sounds so typical of a lot of bosses I know. They get an idea, and because it's their idea, it must be awesome, so they implement it without thinking it all the way through.

When I have an idea, it takes 3 months of paperwork to just get it started.

By the way, iPads CAN play flash, just not through Safari. There are lots of apps that can be downloaded to play Flash, like Photon and iSwifter. So, if your story is true, just a little researching will allow them to play flash presentations. Or, they can even convert these presentations to Apple's Keynote and play them there.
bbeagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:34 AM   #13
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Quote:
So you mean nobody in your department thought of looking for alternative solutions (like slideshark) or finding other ways of maximizing the iPads utility? You all just launch a silent boycott and let them collect dust?
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:40 AM   #14
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
So you mean nobody in your department thought of looking for alternative solutions (like slideshark) or finding other ways of maximizing the iPads utility? You all just launch a silent boycott and let them collect dust?
Do any alternative solutions allow you to play Flash animations in presentations?

And no, HTML5 is not a viable solution at this point.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:08 PM   #15
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
Sounds so typical of a lot of bosses I know. They get an idea, and because it's their idea, it must be awesome, so they implement it without thinking it all the way through.

By the way, iPads CAN play flash, just not through Safari. There are lots of apps that can be downloaded to play Flash, like Photon and iSwifter. So, if your story is true, just a little researching will allow them to play flash presentations. Or, they can even convert these presentations to Apple's Keynote and play them there.
By the time mgmt came to me and told me to make it work, the iPads had already been distributed to the sales team. This was back in January. I looked at SlideShark, HTM5, Acrobat, Prezi and Keynote. Keynote, as I recall, wanted to convert embedded Flash to a static graphic. Virtualization seemed to be a good option to me but the boss demanded standalone.

I'll take a look at Photon and iSwifter.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:09 PM   #16
johndallas999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post

I can only get around 1-2 hours of usage per day because im at work from 9-6 and after i got home i turned on my Laptop to resume my movie download and surf the web while im at it anyway.

so i only use the Ipad in between after i turned off my computer and waiting to watch my series. I try to use them while watching but i can't focus. I use them more on Weekends but still. Should i sell it for somthing more portable? I dont want Ipad mini since i can't bring any type of tablet to work anyway. Not appropriate. Maybe an Ipod touch 5? The price is not compromising at all.
Sounds like you need to get out some and spend some time away from electronics. Exercise, go to dinner etc....
johndallas999 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:18 PM   #17
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
The team already had iPhones and laptops, productivity devices. It's not that folks were trying to make a statement by not using the iPads but there was no value in lugging an extra device. All these guys care about is quota and if the tool doesn't help achieve that, it's just a toy.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:12 PM   #18
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

Before iPad, I always use MBP all the time and to take with me everywhere. Now I bought iPad this year, I left my MBP at home all the time. I am able to use my iPad on the bus and train everyday.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:30 AM   #19
token787
macrumors regular

I rarely use my Macbook Pro at all. The Ipad gets used everyday and taken everywhere.
token787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:04 AM   #20
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Its so funny how your boss didn't realize the pros and cons of a tablet before buying them for the whole sales team. I still see Tour agents come by my office and use their Ipad for slideshow kinda presentation of what they can offer. However, its more like showing picture after picture but not a real presentation you can do with a laptop.

Thus, i can't bring mine to office. Too conservative, and even my boss is silently using his 7 inch playbook.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:35 AM   #21
throAU
macrumors 68030

#firstworldproblem...

If you don't use it - sell it. Buy your girlfriend/wife/etc a nice night out at a restaurant or something.

You don't need to find something to replace it with, we won't think any less of you if you have one less apple device to your name....
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:44 AM   #22
snarestud940
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post

Look at my signature for all my devices. My iPad is the one I use most! Doesn't go everywhere with me, but is the main device I use to check my email, surf the web, post to Facebook, and watch youtube when I'm home. I use it everywhere in my house: couch, bed, bathroom, etc. I am also a college student and used to take my MacBook to class. I now take my iPad everyday. I also teach a local high school marching band and I keep all my music PDF scores in iBooks instead of printing out copies and using paper. I bring the iPad along to rehearsal as well. The only thing I do not do is sync my music to my iPad. I leave my music on my iPhone and iPod Touch.

Sad to say, but I now only use my MacBook to type up a lab report or essay, write music in Sibelius, or sync my iOS devices.

Everyone is different! You obviously bought it because it appealed to you. My mother was curious as to why I bought an iPad when I already had a MacBook. I guess part of it is that I'm an Apple lover, and the other part is the lightweight and convenience factor.

Hope you work it out!
iPhone 6+, 64 GB, T-Mobile
snarestud940 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:20 AM   #23
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
...By the way, iPads CAN play flash, just not through Safari. There are lots of apps that can be downloaded to play Flash, like Photon and iSwifter. So, if your story is true, just a little researching will allow them to play flash presentations.
The iPad may not be able to regardless.

My previous gig was in legal graphics where I used Flash/AS3 for case presentations. These were fairly large, 30-100MB SWF files, and what I noticed was that iSwifter did a better job of playing the big files than running them locally on an Android tablet; this was due to the processing being handled on iSwifter's servers not on my iPhone. The really large files would choke any device. There was no way to store them locally either.

Flash browsers like iSwifter still require online access, because their servers handle the decoding and streaming. If the SWFs have a lot of animation, it will still look choppy unless you have access to very fast internet. Don't forget that your SWFs can't rely on things like rollovers.

Quote:
Or, they can even convert these presentations to Apple's Keynote and play them there.
Converting the presentations to Keynote will not convert a SWF embedded in that presentation; you will still need something to handle that part. Keynote is a long long long long...well you get the idea, from being able to replicate all of Flash's functionality. HTML5 is even further away than that.

Now this was a while ago, the hardware has improved and the OS/workarounds are more robust, but you need to test it with your largest presentations. So unless the issues I brought up have been fixed, using laptops for your presentations may still be a better solution.

To sum up, "just a little researching" will not necessarily let them play Flash presentations.

Last edited by darngooddesign; Dec 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad