Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:22 PM   #1
itismadhan
macrumors member

Returning and Ipad and getting a cash refund without a receipt

Hey guys,

I got an iPad 4 as a Christmas bonus through work and I want to return it. I wanna know if I can get cash from the apple store instead of store credit? I already have an iPad mini, macbook air and apple tv. Don't need anything from the apple store right now. Will they give me a cash refund without the receipt?
itismadhan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:23 PM   #2
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by itismadhan View Post
Hey guys,

I got an iPad 4 as a Christmas bonus through work and I want to return it. I wanna know if I can get cash from the apple store instead of store credit? I already have an iPad mini, macbook air and apple tv. Don't need anything from the apple store right now. Will they give me a cash refund without the receipt?
Nope. You will not get cash unless you present the original receipt and within the time frame. If you got the iPad as a bonus, returning for store credit is also questionable as all stores may not do it, if any (I could be wrong about this).

Your best bet is to sell it… craigslist will probably give the most money if you find someone.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:36 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I can't imagine the Apple store giving you cash without a receipt. As saberahul mentioned, your best bet is to try and sell it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:28 PM   #4
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

FWIW, when I worked there, if the price was over a certain amount ($250?), even if you paid in cash, you couldn't get a cash refund. You'd get a check mailed back from an accounting office in TX or something.

Ah, looks like that's been upped:

Quote:
For returns to an Apple Retail Store for cash, cash equivalent, and check transactions over $750, Apple will mail a refund check to you within 10 business days.
http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_pol...retail_us.html
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:31 PM   #5
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Hey guys,

No! I paid cash for an iPad 3 and 2 days later found out the iPad 4 was coming to stores. Returned my iPad 3 to Apple Store (as I wanted the iPad 4) and they gave me an Apple Gift Card instead since I was going to purchase the iPad 4 anyway. Told that I could have cash if I preferred, only because I paid cash and had the receipt. I honestly do not think you will have any luck with getting cash back for it especially from the Apple Store.
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:37 PM   #6
itismadhan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
No! I paid cash for an iPad 3 and 2 days later found out the iPad 4 was coming to stores. Returned my iPad 3 to Apple Store (as I wanted the iPad 4) and they gave me an Apple Gift Card instead since I was going to purchase the iPad 4 anyway. Told that I could have cash if I preferred, only because I paid cash and had the receipt. I honestly do not think you will have any luck with getting cash back for it especially from the Apple Store.
How long is the apple gift card valid though?
itismadhan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Indefinitely - they don't expire. But you'll still need a receipt - or it needs to have been bought from an Apple store (they can find the receipt if it was).
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:50 PM   #8
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Indefinitely, but can only be used at Apple Store. Not for apps or iTunes.
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad