Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:19 AM   #1
TH55
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
When you move photos into a new album why cant you delete them from the original?

This is possibly one of the biggest and most idiotic flaws in any stock app.

In "Photos", if you want to consolidate a group of related or similar photos into their own separate album, after you copy them over if you try to delete them from the original album it deletes them from the new album as well. Wtf? This makes absolutely no sense at all, why would anyone want duplicates of every picture?

Anyone else frustrated by this completely obvious and unnecessary flaw?
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Do you use iTunes?

Do you understand the difference between your music library and your music playlists and how they relate to each other?

There you go.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:30 AM   #3
TH55
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Do you use iTunes?

Do you understand the difference between your music library and your music playlists and how they relate to each other?

There you go.
This is completely different. These are pictures that I only need to view in the albums I want them in. I don't need a large unorganized mess of unrelated random pictures that is nearly impossible to sort through.

Songs can be listened to in many ways, hence the existence of playlists. If you want to listen to your entire library on shuffle you can do that, this is the reason for retaining your original library in iTunes.

This does not apply to photos.
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Tea-Aholic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Albums are not folders. They simply are used to group a specific set of images from your entire photo library.
__________________
MacBook Pro with Retina display (Mid 2014), 15.4-inch, 2.5 GHz/16 GB/512 GB/Iris Pro & GT 750M
Sony Xperia Z2, Black, 16 GB
iPad Air, Wi-Fi + Cellular, Space Grey, 64 GB
Tea-Aholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:36 AM   #5
TH55
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Aholic View Post
Albums are not folders. They simply are used to group a specific set of images from your entire photo library.
In almost every other piece of photo software I have used albums are folders....
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:38 AM   #6
kingdLo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I agree. This seems like a no brainer yet it's nonexistent.
kingdLo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Chawbaw
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
This is completely different. These are pictures that I only need to view in the albums I want them in. I don't need a large unorganized mess of unrelated random pictures that is nearly impossible to sort through.

Songs can be listened to in many ways, hence the existence of playlists. If you want to listen to your entire library on shuffle you can do that, this is the reason for retaining your original library in iTunes.

This does not apply to photos.
If you think to about it, the comparison to iTunes is spot on.

Camera roll = music library
Albums = playlists

"I don't need a large unorganized mess of unrelated random pictures that is nearly impossible to sort through."

substitute "pictures" with "songs" in your quote, and you'll see what we are getting at.

Enjoy!
Chawbaw is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:48 AM   #8
TH55
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawbaw View Post
If you think to about it, the comparison to iTunes is spot on.

Camera roll = music library
Albums = playlists

"I don't need a large unorganized mess of unrelated random pictures that is nearly impossible to sort through."

substitute "pictures" with "songs" in your quote, and you'll see what we are getting at.

Enjoy!
Did you not read my reply? A large, unorganized mess of music has a purpose - when you want to play it on shuffle to get a good mix.

Additionally, you may want to make multiple play lists with the same song.

This is not the case with photos
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
This is completely different. These are pictures that I only need to view in the albums I want them in. I don't need a large unorganized mess of unrelated random pictures that is nearly impossible to sort through.

Songs can be listened to in many ways, hence the existence of playlists. If you want to listen to your entire library on shuffle you can do that, this is the reason for retaining your original library in iTunes.

This does not apply to photos.
Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it's not the answer.

You wanted to know how it works. That's how it works. You can't just say I'm wrong and hope it magically changes because of that.
Small White Car is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:08 AM   #10
TH55
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it's not the answer.

You wanted to know how it works. That's how it works. You can't just say I'm wrong and hope it magically changes because of that.
I'm not saying you're wrong that this was their intended design, I'm saying their intended design is retarded. If you disagree however, then yes I am saying you are wrong lol.
TH55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:23 AM   #11
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
Did you not read my reply? A large, unorganized mess of music has a purpose - when you want to play it on shuffle to get a good mix.
Last time I went to my dad's house, I went into the Camera Roll and started a shuffled slideshow that we watched on the TV (through the Apple TV). I prefer that to having to watch through every album by itself, just like I sometimes prefer shuffling my entire music library instead of listen to it album by album.

Quote:
Additionally, you may want to make multiple play lists with the same song.

This is not the case with photos
Really? If I have a photo of my kids in the album "Christmas Market 2012", you're telling me I wouldn't want to be able to put that specific photo in an album called "Kids" without moving it from the other album?

If you don't like the Camera Roll, don't use it. For what you're after, just create an album called "Mixed", "Misc" or whatever and put those photos that you're not putting in other albums in there.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:27 AM   #12
TH55
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
Last time I went to my dad's house, I went into the Camera Roll and started a shuffled slideshow that we watched on the TV (through the Apple TV). I prefer that to having to watch through every album by itself, just like I sometimes prefer shuffling my entire music library instead of listen to it album by album.


Really? If I have a photo of my kids in the album "Christmas Market 2012", you're telling me I wouldn't want to be able to put that specific photo in an album called "Kids" without moving it from the other album?

If you don't like the Camera Roll, don't use it. For what you're after, just create an album called "Mixed", "Misc" or whatever and put those photos that you're not putting in other albums in there.
What I'm suggesting wouldn't prevent you from doing this; you would simply copy the photo again from it's new location, while still being able to "soft" delete it or remove it in desktop terms from any album you didn't want it in.

As it is, you can't delete it from it's original and unnecessary superfluous location.
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
The only way you are going to accomplish what you want is to copy your photos to a folder, then delete the photo in your camera roll, then sync the folder on your computer through iTunes. Unfortunately, you will still have a folder on yout phone with all photos, but it won't be your camera roll.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Radio
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
It's stupid by apple

U can't hide your sexts from others

Clearly embarrassing
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:04 PM   #15
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
It's stupid by apple

U can't hide your sexts from others

Clearly embarrassing
"Private photo vault" .. Free app
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:10 PM   #16
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
I may be wrong, but does iOS really create a copy of the photo in the newly created photo album.

I was thinking all it really did was create a link to the photo in the newly created album. So you really do not have duplicates of the photos.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:12 PM   #17
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
I may be wrong, but does iOS really create a copy of the photo in the newly created photo album.

I was thinking all it really did was create a link to the photo in the newly created album. So you really do not have duplicates of the photos.
I doubt it duplicates the actual file, that would be crazy.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:38 PM   #18
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
I doubt it duplicates the actual file, that would be crazy.
Yes that is what I think as well.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:20 PM   #19
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Because Apple hasn't added in iOS yet...and probably should have...3 years ago.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Gav2k
macrumors 601
 
Gav2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
Yes that is what I think as well.
An album is purely an index (pointer) to the original files. Apple chose this way for a couple of reasons. 1, saves space 2, allows multipul albums containing duplicate pointers without duplicating pictures.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:30 PM   #21
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
What I'm suggesting wouldn't prevent you from doing this; you would simply copy the photo again from it's new location, while still being able to "soft" delete it or remove it in desktop terms from any album you didn't want it in.

As it is, you can't delete it from it's original and unnecessary superfluous location.
You think it's unnecessary because you don't understand the idea behind Camera Roll. It's not meant to be a folder. To compare it to a root folder means you've missed the point. Camera Roll is to the Photos app what list view of your songs is to iTunes (or Photos to iPhoto). It's not supposed to be a misc-folder, which is why it doesn't do what you want it to.

This is a choice by the people at Apple, it's well thought through and it's not something they've overlooked. If enough people feel they've made a stupid move and told them about it, they'll most likely change it. But right now, it just feels like you're not really getting the idea and therefore basing your critique on false assumptions.

As I said, just create an album for random pics, or photos you don't want in any other album, and take Camera Roll for what it is - the place where all your photos reside.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:34 PM   #22
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Albums contain "stubs" of the original pix; they are indeed shortcuts to make it easier to find particular pix when you have (like I do) thousands of pix in my Camera Roll, largely as a result of migrating thru several iPhone model upgrades over the years. I use albums to find pix in a hurry because they are grouped into various categories designated by me. Make Albums for the pix that you care about viewing on a somewhat regular basis and ignore the Camera Roll except as a source for the originals.
lelisa13p is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:50 PM   #23
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it's not the answer.

You wanted to know how it works. That's how it works. You can't just say I'm wrong and hope it magically changes because of that.
Lol dude this is an awesome reply !
__________________
27" Imac, 12GB ram (2009),
Macbook Pro Late 2012
Time Capsule (2009 1TB)
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhoto: How do I delete a photo from photos but keep it in an album? rimcanyon Digital Photography 16 Sep 14, 2014 09:43 AM
How to Move (Not Just Copy) Photos from Camera Roll to an Album? MacPerforma iPhone 18 Jun 24, 2014 04:46 AM
How to delete photos in an album with no option to delete Bugeyeblue iPhone 21 Jun 7, 2014 09:29 AM
iPod Touch: Is there tweak to delete photos from an album? sjunior13 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Feb 23, 2014 11:15 AM
iPhone: Is there tweak to delete photos from an album? h4mza Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 13 Dec 1, 2013 11:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC