Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Kmad86
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
2012 iMac Upgrading to SSD from stock 1TB HD... Where to get special OS?

I've done some research and it seems like the Mountain Lion OS that comes on the 2012 iMac stock is a special version of Mountain Lion. Any idea how I would get that version on my SSD if I swap out the HD with the SSD? Or can I safely just use the standard 10.8 in AppStore?
Kmad86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:45 PM   #2
apunkrockmonk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
All new macs have Internet recovery built in. As long as you have an Internet connection the iMac can get the proper OS itself.
__________________
iPhone 6 64GB iPad Mini 2 32GB
Leviathan i7-3770 @ 3.9GHz|16GB|10TB HDD|ESXi 10.10 Server
Hackintosh i5-3570k @ 4GHz|8GB|2.25TB Fusion Drive|10.10
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz|8GB|256GB SSD|10.10
apunkrockmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Tanax
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
What wouuld be special about it? And where have you read that?
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Kmad86
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
What wouuld be special about it? And where have you read that?
I had read it on here, I think in the teardown thread. I believe a specific story was somebody putting a Crucial M4 512 in their computer and it wouldn't boot because it had the OS on it from their other computer, and it was a different build??
Kmad86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:50 PM   #5
ConCat
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In an ethereal plane of existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmad86 View Post
I had read it on here, I think in the teardown thread. I believe a specific story was somebody putting a Crucial M4 512 in their computer and it wouldn't boot because it had the OS on it from their other computer, and it was a different build??
This is correct. Apple uses a custom build containing code specific to the new model, until the next Mac OS update, where the differences are consolidated. However, it's irrelevant nowadays as the above poster mentioned because of Internet Recovery.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Kmad86
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
This is correct. Apple uses a custom build containing code specific to the new model, until the next Mac OS update, where the differences are consolidated. However, it's irrelevant nowadays as the above poster mentioned because of Internet Recovery.
Great! Will go that route.
Kmad86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Tanax
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
So ...
- Install OS X on SSD
- Boot Mac from SSD
- Use Internet Recovery?
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:57 PM   #8
apunkrockmonk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
So ...
- Install OS X on SSD
- Boot Mac from SSD
- Use Internet Recovery?
With just the ssd the only valid boot option should be Internet recovery and it should boot into it automatically. If not I think you hold the R key while booting.
__________________
iPhone 6 64GB iPad Mini 2 32GB
Leviathan i7-3770 @ 3.9GHz|16GB|10TB HDD|ESXi 10.10 Server
Hackintosh i5-3570k @ 4GHz|8GB|2.25TB Fusion Drive|10.10
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz|8GB|256GB SSD|10.10
apunkrockmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:58 PM   #9
themcfly
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
So ...
- Install OS X on SSD
- Boot Mac from SSD
- Use Internet Recovery?
nope...

- install SSD
- boot with command + R
- system will detect there is no recovery partiton, nor boot drives, and will load up internet recovery
- select where to install OS X
- let it download and install
themcfly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:03 PM   #10
tdhurst
macrumors 68040
 
tdhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themcfly View Post
nope...

- install SSD
- boot with command + R
- system will detect there is no recovery partiton, nor boot drives, and will load up internet recovery
- select where to install OS X
- let it download and install
Just did this on a MBP. Not a hybrid, but hd to ssd. Works great.

Then used time machine.
__________________
Twitter - tdhurst
I blog here.
2013 13" rMBP i5, 2.4 c2d Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Tanax
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Ohh, so the SSD will be completely empty, insert it in the Mac and try booting from it and it will bring up Internet Recovery? That's awesome! No need to manually install OS X on the SSD beforehand then!
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:40 PM   #12
tdhurst
macrumors 68040
 
tdhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
Ohh, so the SSD will be completely empty, insert it in the Mac and try booting from it and it will bring up Internet Recovery? That's awesome! No need to manually install OS X on the SSD beforehand then!
Yes. I also believe it will install the latest OS you've purchased and installed (from the Mac App Store), not the OS that originally came with the computer, which saves you another step.

Can't confirm that, but I don't remember having to reinstall 10.7 and then upgrade to 10.8 when I replaced my hd with an ssd.
__________________
Twitter - tdhurst
I blog here.
2013 13" rMBP i5, 2.4 c2d Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3.
tdhurst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Tanax
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Yes. I also believe it will install the latest OS you've purchased and installed (from the Mac App Store), not the OS that originally came with the computer, which saves you another step.

Can't confirm that, but I don't remember having to reinstall 10.7 and then upgrade to 10.8 when I replaced my hd with an ssd.
Awesome! Thanks
Having to upgrade manually is just a minor thing though.
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:25 PM   #14
seigaroo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Would this be the same for adding a ssd to a mid-2011 iMac with the original hd still in? Got a refurb with os x 10.8 already installed & didn't want to have to download for another $20.
seigaroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:53 AM   #15
Kmad86
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Just did the internet recovery. Am I crazy, or does that log into a wireless connection without a password? I swore it was formatted and somehow still recovered from the internet. Once I installed it, it then asked for a password.
Kmad86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1TB SSD vs 240GB SSD (OS)+1TB SDD (Media) Combo (general question) sunnyj Mac Pro 5 Dec 7, 2013 03:36 PM
iMac 2012 1TB vs MacBookPro 2012 NON RETNA 1TB Help MCIowaRulz Buying Tips and Advice 3 Jan 22, 2013 09:37 PM
purchase imac 2012 with fusion drive or risk upgrading to ssd yourself? botorious iMac 4 Dec 20, 2012 09:33 PM
New Mac mini 2012 and upgrade to SSD and keep 1tb hard drive? armandxp Mac mini 13 Oct 27, 2012 10:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC