Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
Hi,
So my Mac mini is connected to a HDTV and when I started I experienced some overscan. This was easily rectified in system prefs. Now that I've added a windows partition however, I'm experiencing the same overscan and I have no idea where to find the option to change this in the settings.

I've searched on google but all the problems there seem to be related to ati gpus and since the mini has an intel hd4000 I doubt these apply to me.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
See the second to last question in this FAQ:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033418.htm

If that does not work, you can accomplish the same thing by setting your TV the right way. Usually automatic modes assume a video source, not a PC source. Unfortunately the setting has many different names. It should be something like "PC", "1:1", "perfect pixel", overscan/underscan, zoom mode, etc.

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
See the second to last question in this FAQ:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033418.htm

If that does not work, you can accomplish the same thing by setting your TV the right way. Usually automatic modes assume a video source, not a PC source. Unfortunately the setting has many different names. It should be something like "PC", "1:1", "perfect pixel", overscan/underscan, zoom mode, etc.

I don't seem to have the same options as in the guide, but I figure that I possibly just need to update to the latest drivers to get them. Thing is, I'm not sure how to go about this. Do I have to download these online first, or is it possible to download them through the OS?

Also, my TV dosen't allow me to change any settings in HDMI mode, and by going to 'PC' mode my computer dosen't show up.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
You can get recent Windows drivers directly from Intel:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphics/cp3-hd4000

Windows update will occasionally update the video drivers, but it is usually way, way behind. I'm not sure why. Maybe Microsoft waits for WHQL (certified) drivers.

and by going to 'PC' mode my computer dosen't show up.

That is very strange. PC mode should just disable any over/underscan the TV is doing, and switch to a slightly different RGB colorspace. Both of these should still result in a viewable screen even if they don't match the signal.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I've had the same issue several times with various macs and bootcamp. With both Nvidia and ATI GPU's. I found that I could just install the NVidia Control Panel for NVidia GPU's or the ATI Catalyst Control Center for ATI cards and it would give me the option to turn off under scan. It always fixed the problem for me. Hope that helps.

edit: sorry, should have read your post better. Didn't see that you had one of the newer HD4000 only minis.

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
Thanks for all the replies,

I managed to both update the drivers and get the under scan to work. Turns out I need to set the resolution to 1080p in order to scale the display. Everything is super small now, but at least I can see everything :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.