Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Planner Dude
macrumors 6502

BH Photo

Do most people have a favorable view of B & H Photo. I want to buy a macmini from there but Detroit is pretty far from NY so it's not like I can drive to their store if I have a problem with the unit.

What about their applecare? the prices are insanely low ($52)! This is one of the reasons I was going to buy from there.

The sale ends today, so if anyone has an opinion, I'd love to hear it ASAP.

2.2 Ghz SR Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 120 GB Hard Drive, 2 GB of RAM and 128 MB GPU
Planner Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:20 PM   #2
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Have no fear, they are legitimate. Also they are Authorized Apple Resellers. I have personally made multiple purchases from them.

If there is a problem with the machine, you don't need to drive to B&H, you can call Apple support or go to your local Apple store.
ActionableMango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:20 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Buying Experience B&H Photo
Safe to get a MacBook Pro from B&H?
Is B&H the best place to buy an iPad?
B&H photo-video RE: new macbooks and applecare
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 65816

B and H is okay.
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5
jhfenton
macrumors regular

I bought a Mac mini package of theirs two weeks ago (Base Mini + Wireless Keyboard + Magic TrackPad + AppleCare + Software), and I couldn't be happier. Shipping was immediate. Everything came exactly as promised. I registered my AppleCare with no problems, and, as AppleMango said, if I have any problems, I'll deal directly with Apple or my local Apple Store.
jhfenton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

If B&H is offering AppleCare at their usual highly discounted price when you buy a Mac then there probably isn't a deal out there that can touch it. You can check the L.A. Computer Co. website to compare AC prices. It is consistently the low-cost alternative; if the B&H deal is lower then it won't be cheaper from any legitimate dealer. (eBay AppleCare auctions are rife with ripoffs, especially the dealers who e-mail the serial numbers.)
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:15 PM   #7
BingClawsby
macrumors regular

B&H been around a million years. Used to go to their little store on west 17th when I was a photographer assistant 30 years ago. 10 deep at the counters!

Just bought a new mini from them, free parallels software, Apple keyboard and of course couldn't pass up the $52 applecare as well.

Lucky you... you get to beat sales tax. Not me tho'.

IOW, they're top of the line pro dealership.
BingClawsby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:26 PM   #8
tejota1911
macrumors regular

Go for it!
tejota1911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:49 PM   #9
August West
macrumors member

I would highly recommend B&H. I bought my new Mini from them 3 weeks ago and have purchased a ton of photography equipment from B&H without any hassles including returns.

A few years ago I purchased a couple of camera bags from them and was going to keep the one I liked best and return the other. After sending the loser back I discovered I had left one of my lenses in the bag by mistake. I figured I'd never see it again. I contacted B&H and explained what happened. They intercepted the return when it arrived and promptly returned my lens.
August West is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:50 PM   #10
yegon
macrumors 68000

I'm from the UK, I bought a Sony Reader PRS-505 from them in November 2007 (ages before any e-ink readers hit the UK), and it delivered quickly as advertised.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:50 PM   #11
philipma1957
macrumors 603

yeah Buy it I got one 10 12 days ago nice deal.

bhphoto.com and or jr.com

are both NYC dealers standup people. I can't begin to list how much gear I have grabbed from them.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:57 PM   #12
BSoares
macrumors regular

That's a great deal on the package. I considered it myself, even though I don't need it, I wanted to get it for an HT computer but my wife immediately said no and I didn't want to come up with arguments. But they are legit and if you plan on getting AppleCare anyways, that's the best place to buy from as when you buy together you get 50% off that.
BSoares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:46 PM   #13
mspringer
macrumors newbie

My experience is similar to others in the thread - over the years I've bought thousands of $ worth of equipment (mostly photographic gear) from them with total satisfaction, and no problems with returns or exchanges when needed. Their Resellerratings is stellar:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...ideo_Pro_Audio
mspringer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:47 PM   #14
QWERTYMac7
macrumors regular

I bought a 2011 Mac Mini (mid-range) new from them about a month ago. About two weeks after placing my order the price dropped $50.00.

I asked them to refund the price difference and they did gladly and quickly.

I'm a happy customer!
QWERTYMac7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:50 PM   #15
macbookairman
macrumors 6502a

I've spend thousands of dollars buying film equipment from B&H over the years. I highly recommend them--great support and fast shipping.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:56 PM   #16
gadgetware
macrumors newbie

Can someone post a link to the "sale" that is ending today? All I see is the slightly discounted price with the free software option which runs until May. The Applecare price shown for me is $104 for 3 years.

I'm looking to pick up a 2.3 i7 with the fusion drive. I'd like to get the package deal that was offered before but I guess that's expired. If I could get the $52 applecare I'd pull the trigger tonight. I've been going back and forth between mac mini and iMac but I'm pretty much set on the mini now.

I have an older crucial SSD that I could throw in there but I'm tired of fooling around with my machine.
gadgetware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:10 PM   #17
QWERTYMac7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetware View Post
Can someone post a link to the "sale" that is ending today? All I see is the slightly discounted price with the free software option which runs until May. The Applecare price shown for me is $104 for 3 years.

I'm looking to pick up a 2.3 i7 with the fusion drive. I'd like to get the package deal that was offered before but I guess that's expired. If I could get the $52 applecare I'd pull the trigger tonight. I've been going back and forth between mac mini and iMac but I'm pretty much set on the mini now.

I have an older crucial SSD that I could throw in there but I'm tired of fooling around with my machine.
Put your Mac Mini in the shopping cart (pick your free software as well)

CONTINUE SHOPPING - search for Apple Care for Mac Mini ($104.00)

Add it to the cart - then view the cart - your 50% discount will be applied and the Apple care will be $52.00.

That's how it worked for me...

Best!
QWERTYMac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:10 PM   #18
BingClawsby
macrumors regular

choose your mini.... then, 'add to cart'

then a window pops up with the computer plus some free software to choose from.... select one (cuz its free, yeah)

then look on the left side of the window. there is a list of options under 'instant savings'

click on 'computer accessories' at the bottom of list..... and...voila'! that takes you to the $52 applecare selection

that'd be 25 bucks for the help.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:17 PM   #19
minifridge1138
macrumors 6502a

I'm another happy B&H customer, just like my father before me.

Cameras, lenses, filters, bags, and applecare. I've never had an issue (or met someone that has).
minifridge1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:23 PM   #20
Dduval
macrumors member

Yep, I've drove by B&H and threw my wallet in several times.
Dduval is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:28 PM   #21
gadgetware
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingClawsby View Post
choose your mini.... then, 'add to cart'

then a window pops up with the computer plus some free software to choose from.... select one (cuz its free, yeah)

then look on the left side of the window. there is a list of options under 'instant savings'

click on 'computer accessories' at the bottom of list..... and...voila'! that takes you to the $52 applecare selection

that'd be 25 bucks for the help.
That worked but it says that it expires on 1/31/12. Now I get a few more days to decide between the mini and the iMac!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:33 PM   #22
Planner Dude
macrumors 6502

thanks everyone! I just placed my order for the 2.3 model.

Can't wait to hook it up!

2.2 Ghz SR Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 120 GB Hard Drive, 2 GB of RAM and 128 MB GPU
Planner Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:33 PM   #23
BingClawsby
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetware View Post
That worked but it says that it expires on 1/31/12. Now I get a few more days to decide between the mini and the iMac!
I just went through the procedure to check. It shows up in my cart as $52.

So....

Todays the 31st, on east coast USA, about 5:30pm. So theoretically you should have till midnight Eastern Standard Time!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:49 PM   #24
gadgetware
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingClawsby View Post
I just went through the procedure to check. It shows up in my cart as $52.

So....

Todays the 31st, on east coast USA, about 5:30pm. So theoretically you should have till midnight Eastern Standard Time!
My note above should say 1/31/13. Here's what it says in the fine print when I try to order:

"Save 50% On AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac mini
Limit 1 items below per bundle Expires: 01/31/2013"
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:53 PM   #25
BingClawsby
macrumors regular

I looked at B&H again.... so it does!

Weird... you expect it to be 2012, so the 13 didn't register on my brain I guess. Unless... its a typo on their part and it should be 2012!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini