Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Restoring iPhone from backup

I just thought I would share my experience restoring my iPhone. I just bought an IP5 this weekend (upgraded from the IP4). I backed up my IP4 to both iCloud and my computer. I was hoping to just do a seamless restore but it didn't work out quite as I had hoped. My contacts, emails, pictures, and apps all restored just fine, but I could not get my music to restore. I believe it might have something to do with the fact that I have it selected to manually manage music rather than sync every time I connect the phone to iTunes. Does anyone have any insight on that? It wasn't really a big deal, I just had to spend some time putting my playlists together again and dropping them onto the phone. And now I have it selected to just sync a couple playlists I have on my computer, so managing my music *should* be a little easier for me going forward (as long as I remember to keep adding new music to those playlists). Anyone else experience this? Or was there a step I missed in restoring my new phone that may have allowed me to restore my music?
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Hmm I had no issues with any of my stuff when I restored from my 4S when I upgraded to the 5.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:07 PM   #3
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
Hmm I had no issues with any of my stuff when I restored from my 4S when I upgraded to the 5.
Do you have your phone set up to automatically sync your music from iTunes or do you have it set up to manually manage your music (as I did)?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Do you have your phone set up to automatically sync your music from iTunes or do you have it set up to manually manage your music (as I did)?
I've always had it set to manually manage my music ever since my iPhone 3G and never had any problems.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:30 PM   #5
itoshiineko
macrumors newbie

I had the same issue. I'm guessing its because I manage my music manually.
itoshiineko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

I synced my 5 from my iTunes back up of my 4 and it was seamless. No issues at all. I didn't manage my music manually though. Just keep it all on there as I'm lazy!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
I just thought I would share my experience restoring my iPhone. I just bought an IP5 this weekend (upgraded from the IP4). I backed up my IP4 to both iCloud and my computer. I was hoping to just do a seamless restore but it didn't work out quite as I had hoped. My contacts, emails, pictures, and apps all restored just fine, but I could not get my music to restore. I believe it might have something to do with the fact that I have it selected to manually manage music rather than sync every time I connect the phone to iTunes. Does anyone have any insight on that? It wasn't really a big deal, I just had to spend some time putting my playlists together again and dropping them onto the phone. And now I have it selected to just sync a couple playlists I have on my computer, so managing my music *should* be a little easier for me going forward (as long as I remember to keep adding new music to those playlists). Anyone else experience this? Or was there a step I missed in restoring my new phone that may have allowed me to restore my music?
Backups don't back up music. They don't even back up apps. They back up what apps you have and the app data, but the apps are re-downloaded (with iCloud) or re-synced (through iTunes backup). That's why backups can stay under 5 GB. Otherwise backups would be huge. Music is not backed up, but I guess some playlist info might be?
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:42 PM   #8
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Backups don't back up music. They don't even back up apps. They back up what apps you have and the app data, but the apps are re-downloaded (with iCloud) or re-synced (through iTunes backup). That's why backups can stay under 5 GB. Otherwise backups would be huge. Music is not backed up, but I guess some playlist info might be?
That's what I thought...that it didn't actually back up any of the media. I thought it backed up some sort of "source data" and pulled the actual media (music, apps, etc) from iTunes and loaded it onto the phone when you did a restore from a backup. Gueeeesssss not, lol.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone