Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevin011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
I have an unlimited data plan through Verizon and I want to see if I can use it as an internet connection for my Microsoft Surface tablet. I know that if I want to use the mobile hotspot, I have to purchase a separate data plan for that. But I remember reading somewhere that Verizon allows tethering, which would allow the iphone to be used as a modem if connected via usb or Bluetooth for no additional cost.

I don't see an option for this in the settings. Do I have to download an app or something?

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
I just checked the app store and JGF's "Rock Paper Scissors" is still available. This app has an easter egg tethering feature that I am actually using right now to post this (iPhone 5 connected to my MBP). Note the app costs 2.99, but for tethering I find it worth it.

Found it thanks to this post (also explains how it works)

There are two new hidden tethering applications in the iTunes App Store. One that's been up for a while is *Rock Paper Scissors* by JGF, the other one is called BSOD Reaction Time by Joseph Lerner. I can confirm that both of them work. Here's a video showing it in action for Rock Paper Scissors:

YouTube: video

Here are the download links:

Rock Paper Scissors

Here are the instructions for Rock Paper Scissors:
Download the app
Start the app
Press scissors, rock, paper, and then the upper left-hand corner of the screen to access the tethering screen
Next, go to your computer and set up an ad-hoc network
Connect your iPhone to that network and set a static IP Address of 13.37.13.37 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
Now go back to the application and turn on tethering
On your computer, go to network settings and change the proxy settings
Put the SOCKS Proxy server as 13.37.13.37 and the port as 1080
And that's it!

Side Note:
This app will not share from iPhone to iPad, already tried :(
I've been using this app for over a week and have not received any calls from Verizon about my unlimited data tethering usage :)
The app does cost $2.99 :( Worth it if you need internet!
Hard to remember the combination sometimes, so I came up with this formula - Scissors rock, paper drops. :)
Someone made a script for connecting quickly
It appears both developers used this open-source proxy implementation in their apps. So you might be able to use the developers built-in connecting app to connect easily!

Kevin011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
@ml.sail1 Thanks for pointing out the app, seems as though Windows 8 doesn't support adhoc networks. I found a work around for this online, I'll have to try it out when I have the time.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
But what happens on factory unlocked iphone 5's? There is an option to share internet. Is that tethering? You hAve to enter a username and password. What do i put there? I am not on any American carrier.

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
But what happens on factory unlocked iphone 5's? There is an option to share internet. Is that tethering? You hAve to enter a username and password. What do i put there? I am not on any American carrier.

I am actually using a factory unlocked iPhone on an American carrier (Net10-an ATT mvno) and it has the hotspot feature locked for me, probably due to the SIM card.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
In my case, i dont use an american carrier but it tells me to contact my carrier to setup internet sharing. How can I bypass this crap?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.