Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Will Apple replace my iPhone 5 with this type of damage?

I'm normally not the type of person who vents or projects my issues on here but this put me over the top, especially since this occurred within the first few minutes of 2013. I was really hoping to have a great start this year but instead, I have to deal with this issue. So with that said, I'll get to what happened.....

I was in the middle of a crowd where I was celebrating New Year's Eve and I had my iPhone out reading texts and attempting to reply to them before and after midnight. Shortly after midnight this really drunk guy came by dancing with his arms flailing about. The next thing I know, his arm hit my arm that was holding my iPhone really hard knocking it to the ground equally hard. While on the ground, my iPhone gets kicked around and stepped on, one of them being the drunk idiot. After picking it up, the provided pics is what it looked like.

I purchased AppleCare+ for my iPhone 5 in case of situations like this (after some debate). I would consider this to fall into AppleCare's accidental damage clause because some moron knocked my iPhone out of my hand, however, I'm not too sure if Apple will replace my iPhone in this condition (I'm just having the feeling that they may find a way of not honoring their accidental damage clause). And in case anyone was wondering, I babied my iPhone 5 to the point where I wouldn't let anyone touch it, my mother and the girl that I'm currently seeing included. Either way, I'll find out tomorrow afternoon when I get to my Genius Bar appointment at my closest Apple Store.

Thanks for reading and any feedback. I'm trying to turn a bad start to a better year so Happy New Year everyone!

Damage assessment:

-Destroyed screen
-Missing home button cover
-Dents on the aluminum
-Screen assembly no longer fits the aluminum back

Despite the damage you see, I can still make and receive calls using Siri. Messages still come in. The bottom speaker and mic still works. The LED light still works. I just can't input anything because of the destroyed screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.24.23 PM.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	387335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.24.35 PM.jpeg
Views:	401
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	387336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.24.54 PM.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	387337  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.25.44 PM.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	387338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.26.00 PM.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	387339  
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:35 PM   #2
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

I would have confronted the guy that knocked it out of your hands. I'd be pretty upset if some drunken ******* knocked my $800 iPhone out of my hands and caused that kind of damage to happen to it.

I would take it to an Apple store nonetheless. I'm not sure if that would qualify under accidental damage but chances are they'll replace it for you knowing Apple's track record. Just be honest.
ideal.dreams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:36 PM   #3
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
I'm normally not the type of person (snip)
It's what AppleCare + is for. Of course they will honor it. Just tell them what happened. They won't try to screw you over. New Year's Day is probably the biggest day for iPhone accidental damage replacements. Either that or St Patty's day I would guess.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:38 PM   #4
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal.dreams View Post
I would have confronted the guy that knocked it out of your hands. I'd be pretty upset if some drunken ******* knocked my $800 iPhone out of my hands and caused that kind of damage to happen to it.

I would take it to an Apple store nonetheless. I'm not sure if that would qualify under accidental damage but chances are they'll replace it for you knowing Apple's track record. Just be honest.
How is that not accidental damage?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Damn that totally sucks!! I'm sure they will replace with AppleCare+.
Jordan921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:01 AM   #6
canucksfan88
macrumors 6502

the AppleCare+ covers this.

You get 2 of them. Go in, get it swapped, and you are good to go
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:32 AM   #7
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Carlton must be stopped! How many more iphones must we lose due to his carelessness??
aphexacid is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:06 AM   #8
andyx3x
macrumors 65816

As long as they can see the serial number, they will replace it for the $49 plus tax.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Read the terms:
http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...lecareplus.pdf
Quote:
3.2 Accidental Damage from Handling
If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim notifying Apple that the Covered iPhone has failed due
to accidental damage from handling (“ADH”), Apple will subject to the service fee described below either
(i) repair the defect using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and
reliability, or (ii) exchange the Covered iPhone with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to
new in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product (both
individually known as a “Service Event”). ADH coverage will expire and all of Apple’s obligations to
you under this section 3.2 will be fulfilled in its entirety before the end of the Plan Term when
Apple, as a result of ADH claims, has provided to you two (2) Service Events. ADH coverage only
applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of
an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and liquid contact) that arises from your
normal daily usage of the Covered iPhone as intended for such Covered iPhone. ADH coverage does not
include (a) protection against normal wear and tear, theft, misplacement, reckless, abusive, willful or
intentional conduct associated with handling and use of the Covered iPhone, (b) protection against any
other act or result not covered by the Plan, as described in Section 4.2 below, or (c) any resultant
damage to the Covered iPhone that arises from one or more conditions described in Section 3.2(a) or (b).
You will pay a $49 (U.S.) dollar service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim, and may be asked
to provide an explanation of where and when the accident occurred with a detailed description of the
actual event. A claim will be denied
They can deny it if it's considered "reckless, abusive, willful or
intentional conduct". Whether or not your case qualifies is something you'll have to ask them about.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:28 AM   #10
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
It's what AppleCare + is for. Of course they will honor it. Just tell them what happened. They won't try to screw you over. New Year's Day is probably the biggest day for iPhone accidental damage replacements. Either that or St Patty's day I would guess.
Agreed, they should replace it no problem.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:29 AM   #11
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

how is this even a question?

I don't see how this is *not* or could even be considered *not* accidental damage... This story is the DEFINITION of accidental damage.

OP, I hope you revise your "who gets to touch my phone' personal rule after this mishap. Life's short and things happen. Not letting your girlfriend or mom touch your phone didn't help in this situation and is now pointless. Consider that moving forward.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:16 PM   #12
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Thank you everyone for your feedback and support. Honestly, not having an active phone really sucks, I feel like I've been cut off from the world. That's been the biggest inconvenience of this whole situation.

I was originally going to say that the negativity from the naysayers hasn't helped but I'll also remain a little skeptical about them replacing my phone outright despite their policy. I've been in situations where I really had to jump through hoops to get other things replaced/repaired, like from an insurance company. So I'll just expect the worst and hope for the best.

Quote:

Believe me, I was very upset and would have liked nothing more than for this guy to pay for a replacement in case I get denied by Apple. And since this is a 64GB iPhone 5, the full price is what, over $900 after taxes?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
intentional conduct". Whether or not your case qualifies is something you'll have to ask them about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
How is that not accidental damage?

Exactly, how is this not accidental? The drunk guy, who was outside of my control, caused the series of events that destroyed my iPhone. Isn't that what an accident is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
Carlton must be stopped! How many more iphones must we lose due to his carelessness??

Lol. The drunk guy wasn't too far off from Carlton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
how is this even a question?

I don't see how this is *not* or could even be considered *not* accidental damage... This story is the DEFINITION of accidental damage.

OP, I hope you revise your "who gets to touch my phone' personal rule after this mishap. Life's short and things happen. Not letting your girlfriend or mom touch your phone didn't help in this situation and is now pointless. Consider that moving forward.

Thanks. Like I said above, you and I can consider this an accident. However, I've had difficulties in the past about getting something replaced despite being told that the added insurance covers EVERYTHING.

I'm very particular about my stuff so I seldom let others use it. You're right though, despite it, my iPhone was still destroyed. So the best I can say is we'll see about bending that rule in the future.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:20 PM   #13
macingman
macrumors 68020

Why not just contact Apple and see for yourself? They will replace the phone though, no question in my mind.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:42 PM   #14
Megalobyte
macrumors 6502a

Can't believe you're going to swap it out for such a small amount of damage, OCD city!
Megalobyte is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:50 PM   #15
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Read the terms:

Well now, I see I am wrong in another thread about replacements. It probably helps if I actually read the T&C's at some point in time. Thanks for making that point, however, I wouldn't consider this case reckless by any means. Now if he was drag racing and trying to take a selfie when the car next to him crossed over and hit him, knocking his phone out the window and breaking, I would consider that reckless.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Read the terms:

Apple Care+ will replace your phone in almost all situations. The reason they have this clause is so that people can't just buy Apple Care plus and throw their phone off the top of the Eiffel Tower for kicks, or to make a youtube video and then get a new phone.

As long as you weren't TRYING to break the phone or were an incredible moron like "I was trying to throw the phone to my friend while we were upside down on a roller coaster to take a cool photo" there's no chance you will get your claim denied.

Honestly Apple Care+ has probably never denied a claim.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:30 PM   #17
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Is funny now because u got AppleCare+ That's what you paid for. The fine print is just something they threw in to limit liability, otherwise they'd be open to any and all idiocy people are capable of.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post

Unless you are dumb enough to tell them you were xtreme biking and the phone, whoops, slipped out!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:34 PM   #18
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Think again before you confront some drunk guy. The OP is smarter than you.

Depending on when you got it, purchasing the iPhone with a credit card that offers 90 day accidental damage coverage would cover it too.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:46 PM   #19
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
Can't believe you're going to swap it out for such a small amount of damage, OCD city!

Just a little OCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Think again before you confront some drunk guy. The OP is smarter than you.

I wanted to confront that guy but I knew it wouldn't get anywhere so I just let it go and hope for the best with Apple.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:08 PM   #20
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Unless you are dumb enough to tell them you were xtreme biking and the phone, whoops, slipped out!

Even that constitutes as accidental damage!

It's more of "I went extreme biking and wanted to see how much damage an iPhone 5 can take before exploding" that Apple would probably deny your claim.
Order Placed: Sept. 12 @ 7:35am CST
Estimated Delivery: 9/22-9/30
Charged: Yes Status: Pre-Order
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:20 PM   #21
Gr8fulMac
macrumors newbie

Cool

This is exactly what AppleCare+ is for & why you have it. I would be completely shocked if Apple refuses to replace for the $49. You'll undoubtedly be getting a new phone.
Gr8fulMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:34 PM   #22
andyx3x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Why is that dumb? That would be covered under Applecare Plus.

As long as the serial number can be identified on the phone, Applecare Plus will replace the phone under most circumstances.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:41 PM   #23
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I just got back from the Apple Store (well after running a couple of errands on the way home) and they replaced my iPhone 5 with a brand new one from a white box. I also had to pay the $49 by the way. Glad they took care of this with no hassle.

Now I just need to restore this iPhone from the backup of my old one and I should be good to go.

Speaking of backing up the destroyed iPhone..... Despite all the damage, I was still able to connected it to and sync it with my iMac. Although, this process took longer than usual. I'm assuming that iTunes or the iPhone itself was running a diagnostic of sorts when it was connected and was realizing all the damage. Let's just hope the restore process is just as smooth as the replacement process.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:15 PM   #24
Dyce
macrumors member

Grats, one more accidental coverage left!
Dyce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:36 PM   #25
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryfusco View Post
Why not just contact Apple and see for yourself?Image
You're a little late to the party. He already did.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone