Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:20 PM   #1
jcspeck
macrumors newbie

13" MBA Cases

So I was lucky to get a new MBA for Christmas, and I got the Incipio Feather case to go with it. Normally I love Incipio products, but this one has me baffled, its very snug, to the point you can barely take it back off, and then the front clips dont seem to take hold well. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions of other cases? The only reason is that I got a nice scratch on my 2008 MBP and that bugged me every time I opened it.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2
JimWPVB
macrumors member

WF Bags

I recently got Water Field Smart Case for my 13" MBA. It does a great job of protecting the laptop, without bulk. I could not be more pleased.
JimWPVB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Nimravus
macrumors member

Irony

So I always think about getting a case for my MBA, but I don't for 2 reasons. Heat retention and I don't want to cover up the beauty that I am trying to protect. I mean, yeah a scratch would bug me... But I'm covering up what I'm trying to protect so I can't see the beauty to begin with anyway. If that logic makes sense. Kinda like getting a beautiful iPhone and the first thing people do is cover it up.

Imagine if people got nice shiny cars and immediately covered it up with body masks like you see the spy photos. Lol.

So, $1000+ for an MBA (mine was $1499), I just can't cover it up with a cheap $50 case. And I just don't want the heat retention properties of a snug case. So I just go commando and carry it around in a sleeve instead. There are lots of beautiful sleeve options for your MBA. Just a thought...
Nimravus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:15 AM   #4
jacob-07
macrumors regular

I used to have a speck case for my air, but decided to change it because it just didn't feel right and whenever I took off the case it felt like I was going to rip my MacBook apart. I'm now using a wrapsol and I love it. Wrapsol adds relatively no weight to the air and provides the same look as if it were naked while protecting it from scratches. I also put it in a sleeve when it's not being used.
jacob-07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:12 AM   #5
mototriu
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcspeck View Post
So I was lucky to get a new MBA for Christmas, and I got the Incipio Feather case to go with it. Normally I love Incipio products, but this one has me baffled, its very snug, to the point you can barely take it back off, and then the front clips dont seem to take hold well. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions of other cases? The only reason is that I got a nice scratch on my 2008 MBP and that bugged me every time I opened it.
I also got a macbook air for christmas and I also (unfortunately) purchased the same case as you. I heard that the speck satin see through case is good, if you don't want that there is also a speck see through case.
mototriu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:26 AM   #6
DJLC
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
I love my BookBook from Twelve South. It feels nice and looks neat. It can be a bit irritating sometimes, but it's worth it for me.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:39 AM   #7
Bowcaps
macrumors member

I purchased this cover -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LArobe-Sleev...7205398&sr=8-1

back in July for my MBA and it keeps it in pristine condition. It is also fits into my (some slips are too big to fit into a 13" rucksack slot)

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H0...sover-backpack

which I have been all over the world in the last 6 months [work] and it's a perfect combo

HTH
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:37 AM   #8
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

I use this case on my 2012 MBA and am very happy with it... http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H9...or-macbook-air
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:00 AM   #9
jcspeck
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
I use this case on my 2012 MBA and am very happy with it... http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H9...or-macbook-air
How do you like your moshi, is it easy to install/remove? No fears of breakage?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:44 AM   #10
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

Echo DJLC's thoughts. I have the Book Book for both my Airs as well as my iPad3. Love it for it's ease of use, protection offered, and stealth appearance.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/BookBook_for_Air/
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:50 AM   #11
kage207
macrumors 6502a

I always run around naked~
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:31 PM   #12
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcspeck View Post
How do you like your moshi, is it easy to install/remove? No fears of breakage?
I could not be happier...I like the rubbery texture, it does not change the appearance of the MBA, it does not scratch, it protects the MBA, it is easy to put on / take off, etc.

I suggest you get one as you will not be disappointed.

Joel
JoelBC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLC View Post
I love my BookBook from Twelve South. It feels nice and looks neat. It can be a bit irritating sometimes, but it's worth it for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
Echo DJLC's thoughts. I have the Book Book for both my Airs as well as my iPad3. Love it for it's ease of use, protection offered, and stealth appearance.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/BookBook_for_Air/
I have looked at the BookBook products and must say I think they are very attractive and quite classy. If I ever thought that I needed a cover for my MBA, this is the one which I would buy.

Personally, I don't have a cover on my MBA; the thing is made from aluminium, (rather than the plastic of other models which I had in the past) and is both sturdy and designed to be used. However, when travelling, I put it in a padded A4 envelope which then rests snugly in a compartment of my elegant, neat Italian leather briefcase.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Tom Sawyer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
Just ordered one of these for my 13" 2012 Air that I picked up today. I'll post my impressions when it arrives.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:06 PM   #15
mariotheotaku
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
Just ordered one of these for my 13" 2012 Air that I picked up today. I'll post my impressions when it arrives.
Please do. I'm thinking on getting one for my incoming MBA.
mariotheotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:34 PM   #16
EthanMiller
macrumors member

I've always really like the Air without anything on it. Still, traveling I wanted a bit more protection for it. So I got a Speck sleeve (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00), and so far I've really liked it.

Funny story - Before I got the sleeve, I had a canvas bag I used. The Air was sharp enough to wear a hole in the bag. (The bag was replaced under warrantee.)

The plastic cases I've always felt were overpriced and didn't actually do anything positive. My opinion.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:38 PM   #17
cedwhatev
macrumors 6502

I always recommend this case... I have one for my 11" MBA and one for my wife's 13" MBA.. excellent product. Go with the rustic sleeve for better protection.

http://mintcases.com/
cedwhatev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Tom Sawyer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariotheotaku View Post
Please do. I'm thinking on getting one for my incoming MBA.
Received my Moshi case today. Bottom line: The case is nothing short of fantastic. The fit is simply perfect... fits very securely on the Air without feeling like you're going to break (or scratch) the machine getting it on. The lid fits a bit tighter (took a little more force to 'pop' the edges over the lid edge) but as I said, fits beautifully. The finish is very nice... I actually feel a little more secure holding/carrying the computer. It does not add very much thickness at all and just feels... correct on this machine. Excellent fit and finish, the opacity is nice... couldn't be happier!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:53 AM   #19
cjgonzales1900
macrumors regular

I love the look of my MBA and didnt want to cover it up, but thinking about resell value and looking at scratches everyday, I went with the Zagg Invisible Shield, had it installed at my local mall, I am really happy with it, only down side is it doesnt protect well against dings/dents. Have 1 dent in the top of my MBA.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimravus View Post
So I always think about getting a case for my MBA, but I don't for 2 reasons. Heat retention and I don't want to cover up the beauty that I am trying to protect. I mean, yeah a scratch would bug me... But I'm covering up what I'm trying to protect so I can't see the beauty to begin with anyway. If that logic makes sense. Kinda like getting a beautiful iPhone and the first thing people do is cover it up.

Imagine if people got nice shiny cars and immediately covered it up with body masks like you see the spy photos. Lol.

So, $1000+ for an MBA (mine was $1499), I just can't cover it up with a cheap $50 case. And I just don't want the heat retention properties of a snug case. So I just go commando and carry it around in a sleeve instead. There are lots of beautiful sleeve options for your MBA. Just a thought...
You might want to get a Zagg Invisible Shield. or the SGP version of it with Matte finish.
cjgonzales1900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:34 PM   #20
Severum
macrumors newbie

I bought one of these for my 2012 Macbook Air: EasyAcc 13.3 inch Laptop Ultrabook Leather Sleeve Carry Case Cover for Apple Macbook Air 13.3. The only issue being that it was not real leather, but fits the Air very well.
Severum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:40 PM   #21
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

I have this on my 11" MBA. Fits well and protects great. Not the highest quality, but at the price I'm more then happy.

http://www.amazon.com/TopCase-Rubber...ref=pd_sbs_e_1

Last edited by JohnLT13; Jan 10, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air