Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:35 PM   #1
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

Any bookworms in here? How quickly can you tackle a book?

Just wondering how quickly people read certain books?'s is a depend on the topic? Or how dense, the book maybe?

I love reading and have recently began to read books on an almost daily basis. I tackle about 70 pages a day, so I'm wanting to finish a book a day. If that's possible. Which I'm sure it certainly is.

Any advice? Aside from the speed reading methodologies that are out there. I sometimes find myself reading a book extraordinarily quickly, only because I know there are so many books out there. I feel as If there is not enough time to read all the great books out there.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:39 PM   #2
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

70 pages a day will not get you through a book a day.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:44 PM   #3
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I can pretty easily read a 500 page book in a day if it engrosses me and I have the time, like on a weekend day
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:47 PM   #4
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
Any advice? Aside from the speed reading methodologies that are out there.
Also, focus on comprehension not speed.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:50 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I finished my last book, just over 400 pages, in 3 days.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Mito
macrumors regular

About 500 pages in a few days (maybe 4-5). It depends on how much book has "eaten" me. This morning I have finished Looking for Alaska (230 pages, but using iBooks on iPhone) and it took me about a week (or just 2 evenings).

I donīt like to rush it. Sometimes you need a time to process an information.
Mito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:49 AM   #7
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

It all depends. If a book is really engrossing and I have the free time I can finish a 500 page book in two or three days. Otherwise it usually will take be a week for a book that size.

If it's a book that isn't particularly great. Yet I feel it is a literary work that I should read, such as notable works of Charles Dickens it will take me two or three weeks.

If it is something really boring. Such as basically any nonfiction topic. Then it can take months or never. The only times I can get through these quicker is when it is compulsory reading.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:40 AM   #8
eternlgladiator
macrumors 68000

It really depends on the book. I've had books take weeks and some take less than 24 hours. It's not about how fast I read. It's about how often I pick it back up.
eternlgladiator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:50 AM   #9
ericrwalker
Banned

I read "Goodnight Moon" almost every day. I have even read it from cover to cover about 5 times in one day before.
ericrwalker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Took me about a week to read this book. All 32 pages!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funny.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	387669  
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:42 PM   #11
ppcg4mac
macrumors 6502

I have read 4k pages in 9 days before, but then again, i had nothing better to do then.

iPod Touch 2g 16 GB, Dell Optiplex 755, Pentium 3 "Server", Whatever the library runs.
ppcg4mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

It depends on the book. If it is fiction - especially straightforward fiction (such as fantasy) - one can (well, I can) race through it. History books, much the same, as I love history, so I fly through them. Likewise, pretty much anything that contains many, many facts.

However, something that requires careful thought, and understanding, (such as philosophy) demands to be read slowly and mulled over, (and understood) before proceeding to the next page or chapter.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:52 PM   #13
maflynn

I can read anywhere from 70 to 150 pages a day but generally speaking if its an engrossing book I slow down.

Take the Lord of the rings or the Hobbit.I slowed down for both of them because Tolkien was extremely detailed oriented in those books and I didn't want to miss anything
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:56 PM   #14
m00min
macrumors 6502

I read a lot. I've been on a mission this past decade to read every Star Trek book, which I'll intersperse with other sci-fi books. Technical books relating to my work are separate. I find an average 400 pager might take me three or four days, reading on average for two to three hours a day.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Apple Hobo
macrumors 6502a

I recently read a 492 page paperback over the span of a weekend. If the book is interesting and I have enough time, I can get through a big book in a matter of days; I can easily read 100+ pages a day with a really good book. If the material is boring (e.g. a marketing textbook), it can take me hours to read though a chapter or two because my mind starts to wander, and I use any little distraction as an excuse to stop reading.

In the past couple of weeks, I've read for pleasure about 1,000 pages. I have several books in my reading queue that I've neglected, and I'm quickly plowing though them since I finally have the time and motivation to do so (it also helps that they're good books).
Apple Hobo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:45 PM   #16
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I read by chapter. Sometimes I read one chapter a day, sometimes I read five. Sometimes I just read the whole thing in one sitting. It depends on how much the book grabs my attention by the end of that last sentence.

Read books that interest you, and don't worry too much about what everyone else is reading. What everyone else thinks is a classic, can be a complete yawn fest for you.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:50 PM   #17
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

If I'm genuinely interested then I could easily demolish a 400-500 page book in a day. Especially in ebook format where I can dip in wherever I am.
Tsuchiya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:15 AM   #18
pagansoul
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to pagansoul
I have converted most my collection to ebooks that I carry around with me via my ipad every day. I'm always reading several things at a time, ebooks, e-magazines and e-comics. How many books, pages, words, I have no idea. I simply read whenever I have a break.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:26 PM   #19
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
Just wondering how quickly people read certain books?'s is a depend on the topic? Or how dense, the book maybe?
For me it's all about the author's writing style. My favorite authors have writing style that I go through quicker than Mexican water through a first time tourist. I can finish anything written by Terry Pratchett or Kurt Vonnegut, Jr in under 3 hours. Other writers whose style I don't like, takes A LOT longer. I takes me months to grind through anything JRR Tolkien or Stephen King. Heck, I've been reading Pet Sematary for the past 5 years and I've only gotten to the part where they bury "Church."

Most novels takes me about 8-12 hours to finish. War and Peace took me a month to finish reading. My brother is a fast reader. It took him a week to finish War and Peace.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:54 PM   #20
ultra7k
macrumors regular

When I was in school doing my History/English Lit degree in my 4th year I had to read in excess of 400 pages per week...Needless to say, despite working in a bookstore I wasn't doing any personal reading during that semester...or for a few weeks afterwards.

For me, it all depends on the book I am reading. If I'm really into it, I can just plow through a book in no time. Otherwise I'll take my time with it and read when I can.

That being said, I find reading on my iPhone makes it seem like you are reading 'more'. I think it has to do with smaller amounts per page, sort of like how the Da Vinci code has really short chapters. It certainly makes it feel like you are making more progress, even more so if you turn off the total page count and you aren't burdened by the weight of the un-read pages on a physical book.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion