Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Facebook Messenger App Updated With Voice Messages, Testing VoIP Calling in Canada

Facebook will update its Facebook Messenger app later today, adding two significant new voice-related abilities, reports The Next Web. The first will allow Facebook users to record a voice message to send to friends in addition to the standard text and photo messages.

The second is potentially more significant -- though is currently in limited beta testing for Canadian iOS users only. Facebook users will now have the option to make a VoIP phone call from one user to another.

Quote:
Facebook has also said it will also begin the beta testing of a new VoIP calling feature within its iOS Messenger app, allowing users to establish a peer-to-peer connection and make calls without making a dent in their call allowance (although it will use existing data plans).

The only drawback is that voice calls (messages are available to all) will be available to Canadian users of the iOS Messenger app at launch.

To use the service, Canadian users will be able to log into their Messenger app, open a conversation with the person they want to call, hit the 'i' button in the top-right corner and selecting 'Free Call.' To send and receive calls, users will need to have the latest version of the app that is available today.
Facebook's efforts create a calling system that can potentially reach its more than 1 billion users, providing a massive competition to other VoIP services like Skype.

Facebook Messenger for the iPhone is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

A previous version of this article said it was the Facebook iOS app that was updated. It is the standalone Facebook Messenger app that gained the new voice features.

Article Link: Facebook Messenger App Updated With Voice Messages, Testing VoIP Calling in Canada
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:03 PM   #2
ajvizzgamer101
macrumors 6502a

OMG, Facebook Phone is coming! FB Stock is going to go through the roof.
ajvizzgamer101 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:05 PM   #3
GekkePrutser
macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a cool addition (and the opportunity for Facebook to monitor even more of our lives, not sure if I like that ). I'm not in Canada but I probably wouldn't use it much (just like I don't use Facetime even though it's free).

But I never really understood why they have so many different apps, Facebook itself, messenger, photos and pages. You can do everything inside the main app as well and it's much handier because you don't have to switch all the time.
GekkePrutser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:06 PM   #4
abz1981
macrumors 65816

Why only Canada? Seems to be Facebook is copying bbm voice.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:06 PM   #5
trekkie604
macrumors 65816

Over the cell network or wifi only I wonder...?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Sony311
macrumors member

And how much Data does it take per second on a conversation I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie604 View Post

----------

Yay for Canada! Beta testers unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abz1981 View Post
Sony311 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:08 PM   #7
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Nice way to boost your data bill for sure.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:08 PM   #8
baryon
macrumors 68030

Will this be compatible with desktop Facebook? They're not going to reach 1 billion users if they only provide their feature for mobile users.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Wow, I can't even imagine how much processing power and bandwidth that would be required at the Facebook data centers to handle a billion voice calls, if this would roll out worldwide some day.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
How come this isn't compatible with desktop Facebook? They're not going to reach 1 billion users if they only provide their feature for mobile users.
It's possible it's intentional to reduce coverage while they're trialling the service and infrastructure. A scaling / stress test perhaps?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:11 PM   #10
trekkie604
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
Nice way to boost your data bill for sure.
Well it's use the 6GB data bucket or get dinged for inter-country long-distance by the Telco. Even calling within my home province of British Columbia, we get charged long distance...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:14 PM   #11
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Canada = North America - (Mexico + (AT&T + Verizon + Sprint + T-MobileUSA))
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:14 PM   #12
ShiftyPig
macrumors 6502a

So I can use my phone as a phone? Hmm... this changes everything.
ShiftyPig is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:16 PM   #13
///M5
macrumors 6502

Great. Facebook will now know how my voice sounds like. They will be able to sell this piece of information somehow.
///M5 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:19 PM   #14
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M5 View Post
Great. Facebook will now know how my voice sounds like. They will be able to sell this piece of information somehow.
Exactly. So, Facebook makes its money off of owning your data, knowing your habits, and then selling all of that information to advertisers and data collection firms it partners with.

They've already proven they can't be trusted with users' information - why would users want to have FB now tap their phone conversations?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:20 PM   #15
BallsMcGee
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Well it's use the 6GB data bucket or get dinged for inter-country long-distance by the Telco. Even calling within my home province of British Columbia, we get charged long distance...
Get a better plan dude. Everyone is offering nationwide calling (big thanks to Wind and Mobilicity for that one).

I get unlimited social networking (not uncommon from the big 3). I wonder how long before they pull the plug on that thanks to this voice calling.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:21 PM   #16
///M5
macrumors 6502

And oh, fix the "WIth".
///M5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:23 PM   #17
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Makes sense. Our kids will hear that we used to just TYPE stuff in Facebook and look at us like we came from the old west or something.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #18
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Makes sense. Our kids will hear that we used to just TYPE stuff in Facebook and look at us like we came from the old west or something.
Gives me the idea to send messages to friends in Morse Code.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:29 PM   #19
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Fair enough. One day we'll be on data only contracts I guess.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:39 PM   #20
Cali Fornia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M5 View Post
You will have to face ads popping up when surfing the web, speaking to you with your own voice.
Cali Fornia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:40 PM   #21
aznkid25
macrumors 6502

So is this an update to the Facebook app or just the messenger app? Already got an update for messenger, but nothing for the Facebook app yet.
aznkid25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:48 PM   #22
Otterblue
macrumors member

Quote:
Because over half our population is on Facebook
Otterblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:54 PM   #23
Chuck-Norris
Banned

for once canadians get dibs on something first LOL
Chuck-Norris is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:56 PM   #24
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
Exactly. So, Facebook makes its money off of owning your data, knowing your habits, and then selling all of that information to advertisers and data collection firms it partners with.
I'm sure, like any ad placement agency out there, Facebook doesn't sell your information to advertisers at all. That's just daft, that information is a gold egg laying goose. You don't sell it, you get it to lay eggs.

What Facebook (and Google and Apple and every other ad placement service) does is collect information through analytics and then sell ad placement based on that information rather than selling the information directly. Doing business that way is much more sustainable.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:38 PM   #25
trekkie604
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsMcGee View Post
Get a better plan dude. Everyone is offering nationwide calling (big thanks to Wind and Mobilicity for that one).

I get unlimited social networking (not uncommon from the big 3). I wonder how long before they pull the plug on that thanks to this voice calling.
Unfortunately those nationwide plans bundle data. Only 2GB, I'm not giving up my 6GB

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion