Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Huntn
macrumors 604

My New Mattress

We recently got rid of our pillowtop spring mattress and purchased a latex mattress, a Pure Bliss Transfusion model. It normally retails for around $2200. Picked it up at The Dump (a local retailer) for $1100. Quite a deal and we are very pleased with it.

My first impression is that this is way too firm as compared to the pillowtop we owned previously. However both me and my wife are getting outstanding sleep on it. I was curious what the general consensus is regarding memory foam/latex mattresses as compared to spring mattresses, a fad or here to stay?

Honestly, I admit we ended up with latex mostly because of the pricing for this mattress but we like it because it is cool and I have read that latex lasts forever.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:52 AM   #2
SandboxGeneral

I don't have any experience with those types of mattreses. I have the Select Comfort Sleep Number bed, one of the first ones when the company started. It's a dual chamber bed and when I first got it it was a great bed to sleep on.

But over the years, the foam side rails bend out and warp if you will and the chambers spread apart leaving a slight valley in the middle and I end up rolling into it and it causes me to get worse sleep now. They've sent me replacement foam pieces and even a piece it never came with to put in the middle to try and help keep it together, but it doesn't help at all.

I've had it for 10 years or so and now I am wanting to get something different.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I don't have any experience with those types of mattreses. I have the Select Comfort Sleep Number bed, one of the first ones when the company started. It's a dual chamber bed and when I first got it it was a great bed to sleep on.

But over the years, the foam side rails bend out and warp if you will and the chambers spread apart leaving a slight valley in the middle and I end up rolling into it and it causes me to get worse sleep now. They've sent me replacement foam pieces and even a piece it never came with to put in the middle to try and help keep it together, but it doesn't help at all.

I've had it for 10 years or so and now I am wanting to get something different.
The first time I slept on a Sleep Number bed, I thought it was THE BEST. But I travel alot and found that the older Sleep Number beds don't feel nearly as nice, especially when they don't inflate properly. I don't like being dependent on a mechanism that is subject to breakage if I can help it.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:11 AM   #4
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
The first time I slept on a Sleep Number bed, I thought it was THE BEST. But I travel alot and found that the older Sleep Number beds don't feel nearly as nice, especially when they don't inflate. I don't like being dependent on a mechanism that is subject to breakage if I can help it.
Agreed. Although my bed has never had a problem with staying inflated. The pump and air mattresses have held up fine. But I suppose YMMV.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:19 PM   #5
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

I recently bought a memory foam mattress. i slept well on it, but couldn't get used to it. It didn't move like a tradition mattress, which bothered me.

I ended up returning it go with a regular style again.

Over the long run I think memory foam will stick around, and a lot of the traditional style mattresses incorporate in their cushioning now.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:07 AM   #6
Jaro65
macrumors 68040

Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
I bought a TempurPedic memory foam mattress almost 15 years ago. It took a little while to get used to it, but it is by far the mattress I ever had. No concern regarding dust mites, and it is as comfortable now as it was when I bought it. We'll be buying another mattress for the guest bedroom, and we'll get a memory foam mattress again, though I may try the ones from Costco this time as they're less expensive.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:14 AM   #7
b3av3r
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to b3av3r Send a message via Yahoo to b3av3r
My grandparents have an older tempurpedic memory foam mattress, probably around 6 - 8 years old. I found it to be fairly comfortable sleeping on my back, but it sucked when I slept on my side. I think the newer memory foam mattresses that have different levels of firmness would be more comfortable to me.

We recently bought a sleep number bed with the memory foam on the top, the m7 model, and so far it has been an amazing bed. We spent about 2 weeks playing around with the different settings and now we never touch the remote but it is the best sleep I have gotten on a mattress.
b3av3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Huntn
macrumors 604

Every time I lay on my bed, my thought is this is too firm. This seems to be the number one complaint of people sleeping on memory foam/latex mattresses for the first time. But I sleep well and no issues laying on my side- no pressure points. I think I've spent too many years on a pillowtop.

Because I purchased it at the Dump, I would not be surprised if it is a discontinued model, Pure Latex Bliss "Transfusion". On their described plushness scale where 1 is firm and 10 is soft, ours is rated a 6. I hate to see how a 1 feels. We also purchased some Z pillows which are great to sleep on.
If I had it to do over, I would have chosen the next softer model, however considering the quality of sleep I'm getting, it's hard to complain.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

I had a King Sized Pillow Top mattress until I spent the night at a friends house. She had the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on. I bought mine the next week. It's an iComfort Savant. I sleep far better than I ever have in the past. Memory Foam is where it is at. I also upgraded to Comfort Revelation Pillows.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion