Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Alundra
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I want the iPad 5 right now!

I've never owned an Apple device, and i already have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 but,

Seriously, after I've seen the things it can teach for an amateur musician, i really can't wait to buy one, but i'd rather wait for the next version, which is rumored to come out in March right?

It's not like I have enough money to buy one now anyway, but I can get it without VAT and im thinking of the wi-fi only version with 64 Gb's

What are the chances of it coming in March? I would hate to wait til the end of the year...
Alundra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:23 PM   #2
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Buy an iPad 4, they're terrific and available for sale right now!
maxosx is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:35 PM   #3
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alundra View Post
which is rumored to come out in March right?
That is a blind rumor with little basis for fact. If you want an iPad get one now. If the iPad 5 does out in 3 months sell the current iPad and get the new one.
maflynn is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:35 PM   #4
luqtotheman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I was in the same position as you, I went ahead and got the ipad 4.

If I really want the new one I can sell my ipad 4 and pick up the new one. It could be longer than march too.
luqtotheman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:38 PM   #5
McCaffers
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I agree with the replies. Live for now. Who knows what the future holds. Worse case scenario you can upgrade in March by selling the 4th generation or you know, keep the 4th and enjoy it, as it works great.
__________________
Me
McCaffers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Brian Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
So you want something that doesn't exist?
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:41 PM   #7
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
That is a blind rumor with little basis for fact. If you want an iPad get one now. If the iPad 5 does out in 3 months sell the current iPad and get the new one.
Agreed. I don't think we'll see the next version of the iPad until the summer at least.
ucfgrad93 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:58 PM   #8
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Learn to be patient and wait for the iPad 5.

If you don't need one/don't have enough money, there's no point.

March will come a lot quicker you think.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Alundra
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Learn to be patient and wait for the iPad 5.

If you don't need one/don't have enough money, there's no point.

March will come a lot quicker you think.
By March i think i will have enough money already.

Im crossing fingers for it to come out then and not in summer time.
Alundra is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:14 PM   #10
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Well you can't have one!
__________________
@bwhli
bwhli is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:25 PM   #11
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
So you want something that doesn't exist?

Yes. ipad 5 will be a major form factor upgrade--less weight, less bezel. I'd certainly wait till february and look at the tea leaves, sub contractor leaks, etc.
rowspaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:30 PM   #12
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a
 
SnowLeopard OSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
iPad 4 is perfect. You're better off getting it now.
__________________
iPad |4th gen Black/ 32GB/ iOS 8.0
iMac |G4 1.0 GHz/ 1.25 GHz PPCG4 (7445)
iPod |Classic Black/ 80GB|U2 edition 20GB
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:55 PM   #13
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. I don't think we'll see the next version of the iPad until the summer at least.
Apple these days are all over the place with iPad product releases. It's NO longer a safe bet to say product X will be released at a certain time during the year. So it's possible we could see a mini update in the Spring as well as the 5th gen iPad.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:14 PM   #14
ugcop
macrumors Demi-God
 
ugcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
I can't wait for my person flight pack..I refuse to fly on an antiquated jet when I know that soon there will be flight packs....
ugcop is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:22 PM   #15
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
You say this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
It's NO longer a safe bet to say product X will be released at a certain time during the year.
Then proceed to say this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
So it's possible we could see a mini update in the Spring as well as the 5th gen iPad.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:00 PM   #16
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
You say this.



Then proceed to say this.



No one knows but Apple. I would not be shocked to see new iPads in March.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:05 PM   #17
stevemiller
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
As someone who owns an iPad 3, and has played around with the 4 in stores, I would say both are incredibly capable machines for tablet-type tasks. Being that both run current software just fine, the added value of the 4 should be its ability to run future software updates without introducing sluggishness, as well.

My educated guess is that the iPad five will most likely be primarily about making the device thinner, lighter, better battery life, and maybe some geewhiz features like NFC). If these things sound important to you, I would wait.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with what's currently available!
__________________
macbook pro | iphone | ipad
stevemiller is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:05 PM   #18
dazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Get a 4 if you need one.

If the 5 does come out in March it will be

A) Hard to find
B) Have issues with the first batch just like most of the other lines.

I'd seriously wait a few months after initial production for the kinks to be worked out.
dazed is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:43 PM   #19
ctyrider
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
Get a 4 if you need one.

If the 5 does come out in March it will be

A) Hard to find
B) Have issues with the first batch just like most of the other lines.

I'd seriously wait a few months after initial production for the kinks to be worked out.
What issues did "most other lines" have? I bought my iPad 3 on launch day, and it's been perfect.
__________________
11" MacBook Air 2014 i7 1.7GHz 8GB 128GB | 2x 27" Thunderbolt Displays | iPhone 5S
ctyrider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:31 PM   #20
aPple nErd
macrumors 68020
 
aPple nErd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowspaxe View Post
Yes. ipad 5 will be a major form factor upgrade--less weight, less bezel. I'd certainly wait till february and look at the tea leaves, sub contractor leaks, etc.
Looks like we have another "genius" here... }
__________________
iPhone 6 space grey, iPhone 5 White/Silver, iPod Tough 5 Blue, iPad 3 White, iPod Touch 4 White -- All Jailbroken
iMac Mid 2011 21.5"
aPple nErd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:34 PM   #21
al1cre
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Apple is reportedly already looking to replace the displays used in the iPhone5 with a different technology. If true, they wouldn't want to use the older tech for an iPad 5 but need a new tech to make the iPad thinner. I'm guessing that they'd want more time and don't feel pressure since they just released a new iPad anyway.

Of course my opinion is worth what you paid for it.
al1cre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:38 PM   #22
cardfan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller View Post
As someone who owns an iPad 3, and has played around with the 4 in stores, I would say both are incredibly capable machines for tablet-type tasks. Being that both run current software just fine, the added value of the 4 should be its ability to run future software updates without introducing sluggishness, as well.

My educated guess is that the iPad five will most likely be primarily about making the device thinner, lighter, better battery life, and maybe some geewhiz features like NFC). If these things sound important to you, I would wait.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with what's currently available!
It may be redesigned, thinner and whatever, but most people throw a case on it and won't realize any benefits (see iphone 5). NFC means nothing. You can bet on a processor bump but it's not as if the ipad 3 or 4 is struggling with current apps.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:43 PM   #23
smooth
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Detroit
Send a message via Yahoo to smooth
Have you had other Apple products before? I think for the average user, their products tend to run like beasts well after the product has been updated several times.

From what I've seen on here, iPads 2s and 3s are still running as good now as the day they came out. And depending on the post, some still feel that way about the iPad 1. My iPad 3 is awesome and I hope to keep it a few more years.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I feel the same with iPhones and MacBooks. My iPhone 4 was 2 years old before it started slowing down and the home button started having issues. My 2007 MacBook was 4 years old when it first started slowing down. I upgraded last year only because I wanted to save this year for a vacation and my in-laws needed a reliable, if not top-of-the-line, laptop. If my in-laws hadn't gone through a series of crappy, used PCs, I probably would have waited until 2014 to upgrade.

I understand waiting until you have the money for the iPad to buy it, but when you do and there are no confirmed Apple press releases or a multitude of rumored release dates for the iPad 5, just buy the iPad 4. You'll love it and when the 5 does get released, it won't make your 4 any less awesome or useful.
__________________
Late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro
iPad 3
iPhone 6+
iPod Shuffle
smooth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:12 AM   #24
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
Have you had other Apple products before? I think for the average user, their products tend to run like beasts well after the product has been updated several times.

From what I've seen on here, iPads 2s and 3s are still running as good now as the day they came out. And depending on the post, some still feel that way about the iPad 1. My iPad 3 is awesome and I hope to keep it a few more years.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I feel the same with iPhones and MacBooks. My iPhone 4 was 2 years old before it started slowing down and the home button started having issues. My 2007 MacBook was 4 years old when it first started slowing down. I upgraded last year only because I wanted to save this year for a vacation and my in-laws needed a reliable, if not top-of-the-line, laptop. If my in-laws hadn't gone through a series of crappy, used PCs, I probably would have waited until 2014 to upgrade.

I understand waiting until you have the money for the iPad to buy it, but when you do and there are no confirmed Apple press releases or a multitude of rumored release dates for the iPad 5, just buy the iPad 4. You'll love it and when the 5 does get released, it won't make your 4 any less awesome or useful.
I own iPads as well as android tablets and as much as I like android and those tablets I come back to iOS because of the buttery smooth feel to the user interface and the logical approach to the way things were designed. With that said Jelly Bean is the only mobile OS that gives you that feeling of buttery smooth feedback to the OS but Apple still has it when it comes to the logical approach on how you interact with the OS.

My iPad 2 still feels smooth with iOS 6.01. I just wish they changed the App Store back to the way it used where they broke things up in pages. Now there is some serious lag when you have to wait for the entire page to download.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:17 AM   #25
Internaut
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: All over the place but mostly Somewhere in England
There are good and valid business and technical reasons for Apple to iterate both the iPad and the Mini ASAP but March seems a little soon.
Internaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Launching Updated iPad Air in 2014, No 12.9-Inch iPad or New iPad Mini Until 2015 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 209 Jul 15, 2014 10:33 AM
All iPads: Upgrade from 3rd iPad to iPad Air, new iPad mini or wait for next iPads? Sven11 iPad 32 Oct 23, 2013 03:55 PM
Apple Drops Refurbished iPad Prices, iPad Mini Now Available for $249, iPad 4 for $379 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 16 Oct 23, 2013 10:53 AM
iPad Mini: iPad 5 And Retina iPad Mini Will Be Announced October 22. 13" iPad Maxi In The Works. vmaniqui iPad 1 Oct 9, 2013 04:51 PM
Trouble deciding: iPad mini vs iPad 2 vs Retina iPad? Do NOT get an iPad 2. ThatsMeRight iPad 27 Oct 28, 2012 03:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC