Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Ye, so I recently started this thread about scrolling lag and animations/exit applications lag and so I just bought geekbench to help me out in the argument.

I claim that my iPhone 5 is laggy. Something is not right.

So my story is that its a replaced iPhone 5. My iPhone came in a seperate box because I asked to return my original one.

I think that my reseller repaired the phone that I got and just sent my original iPhone for the same matter - repairing.

So someone else will get my iPhone but repaired.

Iam furious about this and heres the result of geekbench:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1483948

I usually get 1660 and around that but sometimes this score happens. 990.
And so on. It can go down on 1500, 1400 etc.

What should I do?

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Yes. Your repairer swapped out your IPhone CPU for a slower one. You should be furious.

Not like that. But some components could be "burned" or something causing this lag.

Maybe this was the reason for it being sent to the repairstation in the first place?
Because someone complained that it was slow??

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Are you sure that setting the phone up as new wouldn't help it? Can't think of any other reason.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I just ran geekbench on my iPhone 5 and got near as makes no difference the same score as yours.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Take a nap? Eat a cookie?

Done, done.
No but seriously Iam frustrated because I have a feeling someone ripped me off.

Maybe they dont tell us because thats the harsch truth?

they let resellers repair phones instead of apple themselves..

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Hardware tech here:

Not like that. But some components could be "burned" or something causing this lag.
Impossible.
I usually get 1660 and around that but sometimes this score happens. 990.
And so on. It can go down on 1500, 1400 etc.
That is normal modern CPU's and hardware change their clock speeds as the device is running to save power for instance when you are runnng a game 1600 when you are just browsing 990. For instance an intel i5 3570k can run at 3.4ghz at mazimum when set to the stock multiplier however normally it runs at only 1 or 2 ghz in order to save power. The lower speeds are good and are saving you power/increasing performance when you need it most.
Done, done.
No but seriously Iam frustrated because I have a feeling someone ripped me off.

Maybe they dont tell us because thats the harsch truth?

they let resellers repair phones instead of apple themselves..
Impossible.

So basically your phone is fine the only problem may be software in which case restore your phone but DO NOT restore from iCloud backup and if that fixes it, it may be software. But I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your device anyway.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Hardware tech here:

Impossible.

That is normal modern CPU's and hardware change their clock speeds as the device is running to save power for instance when you are runnng a game 1600 when you are just browsing 990. For instance an intel i5 3570k can run at 3.4ghz at mazimum when set to the stock multiplier however normally it runs at only 1 or 2 ghz in order to save power. The lower speeds are good and are saving you power/increasing performance when you need it most.

Impossible.

So basically your phone is fine the only problem may be software in which case restore your phone but DO NOT restore from iCloud backup and if that fixes it, it may be software. But I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your device anyway.

Thanks for a serious reply.

But as you state yourselves, you "highly doubt" - but there is a chance, you admit - that there is something going on in my device.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

But as you state yourselves, you "highly doubt" - but there is a chance, you admit - that there is something going on in my device.

Why don't you just try a restore as recommended? Then you'll know if there's hardware issue. You doth protest too much.

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012

im fairly certain he just said "highly doubt" because he doesnt know everything there is to know about iphone hardware..so he cant say %100 certain you cant.. but from what he knows that cant be it.

32880065.jpg

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Geekbench is such a crapshoot. My rMBP is usually around 11k. I just ran it and got 5k and then 4k.

If it's really slow, do a full wipe of the phone.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Why don't you just try a restore as recommended? Then you'll know if there's hardware issue. You doth protest too much.

I agree. Restore as new and DO NOT BACKUP FROM ICLOUD OR FROM PREVIOUS BACKUP.

This will eliminate any software conflicts, issues. If Linpack still shows lower scores, then you may have a hardware issue.

Good luck!

arc123

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012

There is a chance in the technical sense of a non-zero logical probability, although it may very well be the case that the metaphysical probability is zero. In any case, exceptionally implausible.

A modern empirical proof of a hypothesis, at least one worth taking seriously, involves not only producing confirmatory evidence, but falsifying alternative hypotheses as well. Otherwise your hypothesis is exceptionally prone to confirmation bias and the resulting proof is relatively weak. What you posted may, albeit somewhat ambiguously, support your hypothesis but it hardly falsifies a number of plausible alternatives. As macingman noted, CPUs (especially SoCs like an A6) dynamically clock to save power. CPUs also gate (i.e. dynamically turn on and off) portions of the system. There is a few-millisecond latency penalty to this behavior such that on a benchmark there may be, for example, troughs in the time series recording throughput that will lower the score.

It may also be worth noting that even cursory research would have turned up users reporting the same behavior (look at App Store reviews).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think they took out your 1GB memory chip probably and installed a 512 ram module and stuck in an old AMD athlon cpu too.:D
Anyway, you need to stop worrying about those geekbench score results and such. You will get a different number each time you try and in the end they dont mean much.
Enjoy your phone, if you have a serious hardware malfunction then ask to have it replaced. Dont get obsessed over nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.