Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
zer0tails
macrumors 65816

Advice: Config for 27" iMac

Hi everyone!

Just sold my 4 year old mac pro today. I have been out of the mac game for awhile but am planning on getting a 27" iMac and I would REALLY appreciate the advice of those more knowledgeable than I on configuring it.

Objective: Most bang for the buck configuration. A computer that will last me at least 3 years and be able to do everything listed below with speed.

Uses:
Work: Document writing, spreadsheets, powerpoints, Android development.

Fun: Media such as web browsing, youtube, netflix watching and light gaming (think plants vs zombies, the walking dead etc.)

Questions

Low end 27" or high end 27" Fusion drive..yes or no? I would prefer a SSD but am wondering if it is user replaceable. Is a processor upgrade worth it? Or is that $$ better spent on Fusion drive?

Is Ram user replaceable or do I need to upgrade?

Do I need a graphics card with 1GB RAM?

IMPORTANT: I have a 27"Apple display that uses mini display port. Will I be able to pair this with the imac for dual screen set up?

Thanks!

Last edited by zer0tails; Jan 7, 2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: update
zer0tails is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Bear
macrumors G3

In no particular order:
  • RAM is user upgradeable on the 27" If you need more than the base memory, I'd recommend buying a 3rd party 16MB memory kit to put in the empty memory slots.
  • Disks are not [easily] user replaceable. Fusion drive is probably enough for what you've stated you'll be using the system for.
  • As for video ram, it depends on what the android development does. also, the 1 GB memory might make the system last longer for you.
  • For only the $200 difference between the 27" models, it is probably worth getting the higher end unit.
  • Your 27" display with the MDP connector will plug in to a Thunderbolt port.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac