Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeafRaiders

macrumors regular
Original poster
Is Netgear ReadyNAS Duo a good idea to use Time Machine or External HD? I currently use a Seagate Backup Plus as the Time Machine. I only used 20GBs so far on it. Thinking of moving it to the ReadyNAS. My iTunes Music and Library is stored on the ReadyNAS Media folder. If i play music from iTunes and backup time machine schedules backup. My ReadyNAS is setup as a power up and down timer. It normally starts up at 5pm after I finished work and shuts down at 9.45pm when i go to bed.

I wonder if it powers down at 9.45pm and am still on the computer, my backup will fail would that cause any major problems. Can i use both as Time Machine? so when my ReadyNAS is off it kicks onto the External HD?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
NAS works great if you have a need for such. One thing to keep in mind, how will you back up your music library if you move it to the NAS? You'll need a good strategy for files/folders and media being stored on the NAS?

I like the idea of a NAS because it offers a lot more flexibility and power but it comes at a price. An external drive for just backups will be a lot cheaper then picking up a NAS, so if Backups is your primary usage and there is little need for storage like the NAS then the external drive may be a better economic decision.

DeafRaiders

macrumors regular
Original poster
Get a Synology NAS.

I bought the ReadyNAS 1 and a half years ago lol!

NAS works great if you have a need for such. One thing to keep in mind, how will you back up your music library if you move it to the NAS? You'll need a good strategy for files/folders and media being stored on the NAS?

I like the idea of a NAS because it offers a lot more flexibility and power but it comes at a price. An external drive for just backups will be a lot cheaper then picking up a NAS, so if Backups is your primary usage and there is little need for storage like the NAS then the external drive may be a better economic decision.

I use the ReadyNAS to backup my websites and my family's Window PC, and family photos.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I bought the ReadyNAS 1 and a half years ago lol!

I use the ReadyNAS to backup my websites and my family's Window PC, and family photos.

You will probably get more useful answers if you asked this in the ReadyNAS OSX forum ( http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=506c63d2c38fc85c252a95c09c80fd26 ) or the Time Machine sub-forum ( http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=71 ).

I have ReadyNAS units also but I stopped using Time Machine as most of my files are permanently on the NAS anyway and linked to my MBA for use. Only emails aren't, but they are on iCloud anyway. For MBA backups I use CCC directed towards a share on the NAS.

I have Pro Pioneers (2 of them), but 1 only has 2 drives in use so is similar to the Duo in functionality. I also have the units on a timer but from 7am till 12midnight. You might want to extend your "opening" hours as there's nothing gained by limiting them.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I use a Synology NAS for music, movies and photos. I have a twin Synology NAS that is a mirror with all the same stuff. I have a first gen Time Capsule with an external WD 1.5 TB usb drive that I use for TM backups for all the Macs in our house. I use CCC and Crashplan as separate backup programs for "important stuff".

I occasionally use TM to a FW drive to take a "snapshot" of my stuff maybe once or twice a year. The other day TM came up and told me the backup needed to start over which is a nice way of saying the TM backup on the TC had become useless. At least it told me about it before I would have needed it. As for that whole TM animation thing going back in time to get old versions of files, I find it to be something I don't ever need or use.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Question...I have a NAS drive but find the OS X read/write times very slow compared to the Windows read/write times [granted I am creating asparse bundle]...has anyone else experienced this...

Thanks...

Joel

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Here's the rub. Unless your ReadyNAS software has been updated to support Mountain Lion (seems it hasn't been as of Aug 2012)...

Apparently not true. I asked an expert on the forums and it seems to work OK with the latest ReadyNAS firmware. Haven't verified this though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.