Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Macuser1066
macrumors member

Query to those who own Mini

I am going to have an operation which will leave in the hospital for a week or so and then semi incapacitated for 3 months. I have had each iteration of the iPad, including the latest retinal display. I generally don't find the weight too much in normal circumstances, but have found that I can't use it to read in bed or while lying down.

I was wondering whether those who have the Mini find it easy to use in that situation. I was considering buying a 16G Wifi only Mini for use during this period of incapacity. Would appreciate any comments. I expect that the screen will not be the best. Normally I use my iPad for everything and it goes everywhere with me. The Mini I envision using primarily for reading or downloading the occasional movie from Netflix.
Macuser1066 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Bear
macrumors G3

The Mini works well for reading in bed in my opinion.

Remember you can buy it now, use it and if it doesn't work for you, you can always return it.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:21 AM   #3
CTHarrryH
macrumors 6502

I find my Mini great for reading books etc. On websites it is fine for general reading of the screens but I find I have to expand the display to read some of the articles - this maybe a function of size rather than sharpness. In general I find it a great tool. I don't have young eyes but again don't really have an issue except for some web sites.
CTHarrryH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHarrryH View Post
I find my Mini great for reading books etc. On websites it is fine for general reading of the screens but I find I have to expand the display to read some of the articles - this maybe a function of size rather than sharpness. In general I find it a great tool. I don't have young eyes but again don't really have an issue except for some web sites.
For the websites, it's a size issue on the fonts, not sharpness.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:33 AM   #5
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
For the websites, it's a size issue on the fonts, not sharpness.
see, I feel the exact opposite....it is an issue of sharpness and not size. I honestly have less issue on a smaller iphone 5 screen.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:09 AM   #6
tomaseriksson
macrumors member

I use my mini when laying in bed all the time, will work great. The battery life on my mini is so much better than the one on my iPad 3 as well
tomaseriksson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:20 AM   #7
seajay96
macrumors 6502

the iPad mini weighs about the same as a thick paperback book and I love using it to read in bed. But, if you will be required to lie flat on your back, trying to hold it above your face for any extended period will be difficult and awkward, but not any more so than that thick paperback.

If you will be able to slightly incline your upperbody with pillows or the adjustable bed, you can prop the iPad on your chest and use it just fine.
seajay96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:52 AM   #8
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Have you considered a floor stand?

http://www.displays2go.com/Category.aspx?ID=27990
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Macuser1066
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Have you considered a floor stand?

http://www.displays2go.com/Category.aspx?ID=27990
I hadn't considered a floor stand, but am terribly near sighted and I don't think it would serve. I like the idea of it being the weight of a thick paperback, as I will primarily use for reading. Thanks all for the thoughtful comments. I appreciate your input
Macuser1066 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:32 AM   #10
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macuser1066 View Post
I hadn't considered a floor stand, but am terribly near sighted and I don't think it would serve. I like the idea of it being the weight of a thick paperback, as I will primarily use for reading. Thanks all for the thoughtful comments. I appreciate your input
You have one of the new iPads right? Why not save your dough and get a nice flip case that acts as a stand and use the iPad for movies/apps/games and invest less than $100 and get a Kindle or e-reader for reading. The new e-Readers, I believe, are even lighter than the iPad Mini and you could save over $200 going this route.
mpayne2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:55 AM   #11
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
You have one of the new iPads right? Why not save your dough and get a nice flip case that acts as a stand and use the iPad for movies/apps/games and invest less than $100 and get a Kindle or e-reader for reading. The new e-Readers, I believe, are even lighter than the iPad Mini and you could save over $200 going this route.

Agree with above. The Kindle Paperwhite with the lighted screen and sharp text is an excellent device for reading.
bevsb2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:13 AM   #12
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

I read books on my mini in bed almost every night. I love the thing.
joshwithachance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:05 PM   #13
Tikatika
macrumors 6502

I also read books on my Mini every night in bed and it is perfect. I alternate reading with watching the first season of Downton Abbey on the Mini and it is gorgeous. I have an iPad 3 also, but if I had to go into hospital, the Mini would go with me.

Hope this helps with your decision and comes with my best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Tikatika is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:57 AM   #14
Donka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
This if you do a lot of book reading. I have the iPad 4 which I love for surfing, photo editing, gaming etc. but I read almost exclusively on my Kindle paperwhite in the evening and it is a much better tool for book reading. My missus has the iPad mini which is a great device and much easier for holding than the full size and it's a more realistic device for book reading than the full size iPad even with the lack of retina bit I would still always used the Kindle for books.
If you only want a single device, the iPad mini would seem the obvious choice.
Donka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:06 AM   #15
pommie82
macrumors regular

I think personally that the mini is the best iPad out to date especially when it comes to reading its perfect and for playing games on too.

its ok to watch things on too but i would prefer to use the 9'7inch version to watch things on.

Just go and buy one you will love it.

The only time that i use the 9'7 inch is when i watching a movie or tv series and that it pretty much
pommie82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:35 AM   #16
ALMF
macrumors regular

i get a bit of sleep arm but its me and my position. the mini itself is so easy to hold.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:50 AM   #17
maflynn

I've not found the mini to be an issue any circumstance, i.e., standing, sitting, on my bed etc. I'd say it will provide less fatigue then the larger heavier iPad
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:57 PM   #18
Macuser1066
macrumors member

Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to go for the Mini. I did previously purchase a kndle which I ended up giving away to a family member. I preferred the flexibility of having Barnes & Noble, Kindle and iBooks. I scheduled surgery on Febuary 11th (total knee) and will buy a Mini with Wifi only prior to that date. It should work fine and if by any chance it gets taken/lost, I'd rather lose $300 than over a $1000 with a 64G LTE iPad 4!
Macuser1066 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:58 PM   #19
koa
macrumors regular

I got a Mini for Christmas and am just finishing my second book. Love it for reading in bed and the night mode (black page w/ white letters). I do have a Otterbox Defender on it which I know defeats the purpose of small light weight, but it is easier to grip with the non-slip rubber sides and lip of the screen. And if it falls on the hardwood floor if I've fallen asleep reading it's protected. Pillows seem to grip it better too. Good luck with your surgery.

Misery would be a good movie to watch while you're recuperating.

Edit: The snap on cover of the Defender also doubles as stand to hold the Mini in vertical or horizontal positions and different angles.

Last edited by koa; Jan 9, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
koa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:33 PM   #20
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
see, I feel the exact opposite....it is an issue of sharpness and not size. I honestly have less issue on a smaller iphone 5 screen.
^+1
But the Mini's size/weight still make it the best choice for certian situations until it gets retina.
Awakener is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:57 PM   #21
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Bingo!!! it is a shame that i can read the text easier on my iphone 5 than i could on the mini i had....
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:07 PM   #22
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macuser1066 View Post
I am going to have an operation which will leave in the hospital for a week or so and then semi incapacitated for 3 months. I have had each iteration of the iPad, including the latest retinal display. I generally don't find the weight too much in normal circumstances, but have found that I can't use it to read in bed or while lying down.

I was wondering whether those who have the Mini find it easy to use in that situation. I was considering buying a 16G Wifi only Mini for use during this period of incapacity. Would appreciate any comments. I expect that the screen will not be the best. Normally I use my iPad for everything and it goes everywhere with me. The Mini I envision using primarily for reading or downloading the occasional movie from Netflix.
The mini wins hands down for use in the lying down position. The extra weight will make the retina display of the iPad 3/4 look not so great when it crashes onto your face when it slips from your tired hands after an hour or two...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:44 AM   #23
whoRichard
macrumors newbie

In my honest opinion, I believe that the iPad mini is the PERFECT form factor in terms of size and ergonomics. And also, the uses that you are planning to use the Mini for are exactly what I use mine for and I love the experience with mine. I've used both the Full sized iPad and also the first iteration of the Kindle Fire and I felt that one was too small and the other too large, but Mini is just right.

On another note, good luck with your operation
whoRichard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:10 AM   #24
Esoom
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Esoom
Buy the Mini, and get one of those $20 Syma IR remote control helicopters from Amazon, you'll be a pro with R/C choppers when you're done

(I'm a nurse and have extensive experience with joint replacements)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ma%2Caps%2C162
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:25 AM   #25
armandxp
macrumors regular

I moved from iPad 3 to the mini, and love it! The size is great! I watch tv on it at night, on a nightstand! I carry it to work, and it is so light and easy to carry around for me. My day one iPad 3 had so much discoloration on the screen, I sent it back.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad