Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
OT2000
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Talking Contemplating an iMac re-order

Here's my preorder on December 20th... Still processing.

27" iMac
2.9 GHz
3TB Fusion
NVIDIA 660M

But now I've had too much time to think and so I'm contemplating an upgrade to...

27" iMac
3.2 GHz
3TB Fusion
NVIDIA 680MX


I know it'll knock me back $350 and a few weeks, but since i do a good amount of gaming and Creative Suite, I'm REALLY teetering on a re-order. My other desktop is almost 7 years old and lasted me well, I figure this one will probably have the same lifespan.

Whattayathink? I could use a nudge...

680MX/3.2Ghz > $350/2 weeks/660M/2.9Ghz ??

Stay put? or Re-Order? TIA
OT2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
RaYk717
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I would make the re-order. I had the same config as u have right now and changed it, because in the end the maschine shoud last some days . In addition if you are gaming a lot, I would definately take the 680MX !
RaYk717 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:56 AM   #3
sounddesigner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I would see if u can find it in a store because of how long the wait will be if u re order but if u can handle the wait it will be worth it
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4
washu214
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I spoke with apple today infact trying toget a ship date. the rep told me if you re-rodered now with BTO options the ship date is already in Feb, so your adding like a month not 2 weeks
washu214 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:03 PM   #5
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030
 
NutsNGum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Do it, or live your life in eternal regret and sadness.
NutsNGum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:04 PM   #6
OT2000
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
Do it, or live your life in eternal regret and sadness.
NutsNGum gets it.
OT2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:23 PM   #7
outie2k
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
No brainer to get max config if you intend to keep it for 7 years.
outie2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Category 5
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Maybe you can call Apple and have them "change" your existing order and not lose your place in the queue.

But I am in agreement. Max that sucker out. From past experience, even if you don't make it 7 years, you will get a better resale value and sell it quicker.
__________________
01010010 01001001 01010000 00100000 01010011 01110100 01100101 01110110 01100101 00100000 01001010 01101111 01100010
Category 5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:43 PM   #9
nosnhojm
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I have (or had) the same dilemma as you. I just called Apple, and they cannot change the BTO options without canceling the original order. I told them that I would just stick with my 675mx, to which they graciously offered me free expedited shipping and a free superdrive. Wow. This is my first Mac, but I'm very impressed with Apple customer service.
__________________
iMac 2012 | iPad Air | iPhone 5S | TV 3 | Airport Extreme 6
nosnhojm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:18 PM   #10
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhojm View Post
I have (or had) the same dilemma as you. I just called Apple, and they cannot change the BTO options without canceling the original order. I told them that I would just stick with my 675mx, to which they graciously offered me free expedited shipping and a free superdrive. Wow. This is my first Mac, but I'm very impressed with Apple customer service.
If you're a gamer the 680MX is the way to go hands down.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:22 PM   #11
nosnhojm
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
If you're a gamer the 680MX is the way to go hands down.
I am, but not a PC/Mac gamer (I intend to build/buy a steam box later on). I'm more concerned with Lightroom/Photoshop performance...both current versions and future upgrades that may employ more GPU acceleration.

However, the OP may have different uses and would game more?
__________________
iMac 2012 | iPad Air | iPhone 5S | TV 3 | Airport Extreme 6

Last edited by nosnhojm; Jan 8, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
nosnhojm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:41 PM   #12
ctdonath
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by OT2000 View Post
I could use a nudge...
Nudge? Wait a sec while I get my bulldozer...

(hey, it's your money and time! I can live vicariously with that!)
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Acorn
macrumors 68020
 
Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fangorn Forest
the 680mx is a beast. if you have the means you should get it if all your worried about is shipping time and not really the money.

This is what i usually tell people if money isnt the issue because if your borderline on a upgrade almost always you regret not getting it later.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:52 PM   #14
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816
 
TouchMint.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix
You might be able to pick up the config you are looking for but with 1tb fusion in an apple store. My Apple store had a few so check it out.
__________________
TouchMint.com iOS App Site
Adventure To Fate iOS RPG Game Site
Indie iOS Game: Adventure To Fate : A Quest To The Core JRPG

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:23 PM   #15
Therobart
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern Ireland
Go for it. I ordered the same as you on the 30th November and after much reading I changed it from the base 27" to the high one with 680 graphics card. I know it meant waiting a bit longer but I am much happier that I won't regret what I bought.
Therobart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:49 PM   #16
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by OT2000 View Post
...
Whattayathink? I could use a nudge...
...
It sounds like you really want the upgraded system. Why don't you call Apple and ask about changing your order? Sometimes changing an order will get you a better delivery date than placing a new order. Although since it's a different base model, they may treat it like a new order anyway.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:47 AM   #17
OT2000
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
You might be able to pick up the config you are looking for but with 1tb fusion in an apple store. My Apple store had a few so check it out.
Because of my media trove, I need the 3TB HD. Apple Store rep let me know they will only get 1 TB Fusion model in, no 3 TB configs in store, since that's only BTO. Trying to go for the minimalist look at home without a bunch of external HDs hanging out of my machine this time around.

Last edited by OT2000; Jan 9, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
OT2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:47 PM   #18
OT2000
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Done. Cancelled the old order.

I'll be recieving this BTO in the first few weeks of February. It'll be quite a wait, but it feels good.

27" iMac
3.2 GHz
3TB Fusion
NVIDIA 680MX 2G Ram
OT2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rMBP contemplating do i need it? campo123456789 MacBook Pro 5 Mar 10, 2014 03:48 AM
Contemplating iMac Daddygirrafe iMac 2 Sep 14, 2013 10:18 AM
Contemplating a Mac Mini for University JaHawk2009 Mac mini 8 Aug 27, 2013 06:53 AM
Contemplating Lasik Squilly Community Discussion 19 Feb 14, 2013 11:55 AM
Contemplating to buy an iPad. Is it the right choice for me? Objector iPad 22 Aug 23, 2012 03:59 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC