Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1
maggsdunn
macrumors newbie

Help!!! Iphone 4 8gb capacity questions

So I recently had an iphone 4 16gb but i dropped it and it broke, instantly becoming unresponsive. I called apple and they sent me another iphone 4, however it was an 8gb instead of 16 because thats all they had left. I was given the option to pay $100 and upgrade to a 4s 16gb, but i am wondering if I should stick with the free 4 8gb. So I have done the math and I will only have about 5 apps, and because of what the apps are that takes up about one half of a gigabit. when you take that, as well as the space taken up by iOS, you are left with anywhere between 5 and 6 gb. Well I would have no music on the iphone, as I use Pandora, and no music videos, movies, or t.v. shows as well. Now with all of that being said, about how many pictures do you think it would take to fill up the remainder of space?
maggsdunn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

10?
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:41 PM   #3
ValerieDurden
macrumors 6502a

For $100 I would just upgrade to the 4s 16GB.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:53 PM   #4
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

I wouldnt waste an upgrade and $100 on a 4S at this point. You have a new 4, and even though its an 8GB, you can manage just fine. Just be mindful of storage.

With 5GB you can fill it with almost 2500 pictures on average i believe. Thats expecting a 5MP picture is 2MB on avg.
aphexacid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:32 PM   #5
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggsdunn View Post
So I recently had an iphone 4 16gb but i dropped it and it broke, instantly becoming unresponsive. I called apple and they sent me another iphone 4, however it was an 8gb instead of 16 because thats all they had left. I was given the option to pay $100 and upgrade to a 4s 16gb, but i am wondering if I should stick with the free 4 8gb. So I have done the math and I will only have about 5 apps, and because of what the apps are that takes up about one half of a gigabit. when you take that, as well as the space taken up by iOS, you are left with anywhere between 5 and 6 gb. Well I would have no music on the iphone, as I use Pandora, and no music videos, movies, or t.v. shows as well. Now with all of that being said, about how many pictures do you think it would take to fill up the remainder of space?
I'd upgrade to the 4s 16GB. The 4 will probably stop being supported in a few months when the newest iPhone comes out and then your stuck not getting anymore updates. Also you get Siri and maps and FaceTime over 3G(which I find are pretty useful for me).
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:32 AM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

U don't seem to need the space, but 4s should run smoother (faster processor) and lasts u further beyond when the 4 gets obsolete.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:20 AM   #7
liteshow
macrumors regular

My wife has the 4 and I have the 4s. CPU Performance difference is noticeable but the 4 is still pretty decent.

I can think of a few things the 4 can't do: If you use airplay and want video mirroring with an apple tv, you'll need the 4s (audio airplay still works with 4). No Siri (I don't like Siri so don;t use it anyway).

Subtle differences: Better cell antenna - but my wife still has pretty good reception with the 4 where other cellphones have failed. Other specs like single core vs dual core CPU, and 5 vs 8 MP camera differences. Looks big on paper but in real life and non heavy use, it is not going to be too different.

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if the above is worth the $100. Doesn't look like you need lots of memory so the 8GB should be good for you. If the 4 met your needs before, I would stay with it. Save your cash and wait for future upgrades.
liteshow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:25 AM   #8
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggsdunn View Post
how many pictures do you think it would take to fill up the remainder of space?
I wouldn't know but I say live within the constraint until such time you can upgrade to the newer version of the iPhone. I'd say don't spend the 100 bucks on the 4s, but live with the 4
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:32 AM   #9
liteshow
macrumors regular

My wife has the 4 and I have the 4s. CPU Performance difference is noticeable but the 4 is still pretty decent.

I can think of a few things the 4 can't do: If you use airplay and want video mirroring with an apple tv, you'll need the 4s (audio airplay still works with 4). No Siri (I don't like Siri so don;t use it anyway).

Subtle differences: Better cell antenna - but my wife still has pretty good reception with the 4 where other cellphones have failed. Other specs like single core vs dual core CPU, and 5 vs 8 MP camera differences. Looks big on paper but in real life and non heavy use, it is not going to be too different.

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if the above is worth the $100. Doesn't look like you need lots of memory so the 8GB should be good for you. If the 4 met your needs before, I would stay with it. Save your cash and wait for future upgrades.
liteshow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:55 AM   #10
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieDurden View Post
For $100 I would just upgrade to the 4s 16GB.
I would do this as well.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone