Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:57 AM   #1
Myiphone7
Banned

Why do people want their iPhone 5 to be perfect from a logical perspective

I understand it costs over $700 and I use to be anul about it too.

But after my first serious scratch I have come to realize that if this was a Nokia no one would care. I wouldn't care.

My razr was really egged up scratches in all everywhere. But who cared. It was legit. And that's all that matters.

iPhone 5 a straight legit phone and that's all that matter.
Myiphone7 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:59 AM   #2
sagar4995
macrumors 6502a

simple. atleast for me.
if i spent over $700 for a product, dont care if its nokia, sony, motorola, samsung, apple... anything at all. i'd like for it to look perfect out of the box.
Instagram ID - SagarChablani
sagar4995 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post

But after my first serious scratch I have come to realize that if this was a Nokia no one would care. I wouldn't care.

My razr was really egged up scratches in all everywhere. But who cared. It was legit. And that's all that matters.

Because the iPhone 5 is something that is nice to look at, it's pretty, and it's not cool to make something pretty ugly.

Some people don't see beauty though. They look at the logo and then turn their brain off. Those are the same people that look at a painting and think "what's the big deal" or "this Mona Lisa painting is boring".
Radiating is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:21 AM   #4
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Personally I don't care about scratches on ANY of my devices, Apple or not, as long as the scratches aren't on the screen
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:55 AM   #5
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
Because the iPhone 5 is something that is nice to look at, it's pretty, and it's not cool to make something pretty ugly.

Some people don't see beauty though. They look at the logo and then turn their brain off. Those are the same people that look at a painting and think "what's the big deal" or "this Mona Lisa painting is boring".
Did you actually just compare the iPhone to the Mona Lisa?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:34 AM   #6
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

I have a lot more things to worry about in life than getting a scratch on my phone.
duneriderltr450 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:57 AM   #7
Rookie1986
macrumors 6502

Quote:

You kinda answer your own question, at the price we pay for an iPhone people make sure to look after it and to keep it in pristine condition.

If your happy for your iPhone to be scratched all over then you get on with it. Personally I prefer to have mine still in good condition.

You lost me with the legit stuff, not really sure what your on about.... ......??
Rookie1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:11 AM   #8
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar4995 View Post
simple. atleast for me.
if i spent over $700 for a product, dont care if its nokia, sony, motorola, samsung, apple... anything at all. i'd like for it to look perfect out of the box.
I do not think the OP is talking about "out of the box", i think he is referring to scratches, blemishes or dings after you have been using it for a while.

I kept my 4 in a case, and i had my 5 in a case for the first week. The 5 is such a great looking phone that i am now carrying it naked.

I am sure it will show some wear overtime but such is life, i bought applecare+ this time around.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:34 AM   #9
eawmp1
macrumors 601

It isn't logic (for logic would dictate the longer you own something, the more likely it will show wear) it is emotion.
eawmp1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:49 AM   #10
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Back in the day, i remember OCD kicking into overdrive about my N95 8GB and the common loose slider. The crap people went through to get a "perfect" one!
Finally, someone figured out how to fix the problem ourselves. take it apart, bend the rails. Tight slider! Ahh, the good ole days.

Its not just Apple. Everyones quality control sucks it seems. I think people have high expectations for a device that costs upwards of $1K. Perfectly understandable.
aphexacid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:17 AM   #11
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Some people may treat their iPhone as a tool. They don't bother with some minor flaws/scratches.

Some people may want their phone as to be perfect when they invest such a substantial amount of capital on such a product. It's only logical.

Different people have different preferences.
Beeplance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:40 AM   #12
Spidder
macrumors member

I once bought a cheap LG featurephone for 30$: It was in perfect condition! I mean wtf=?!? I get a flawless device for 30$ from LG, but Apple can't produce a flawless one for 700$?!?
Spidder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:44 AM   #13
Charadis
macrumors 6502a

For me, it's partially about resale value. A lot of people would buy an iPhone just because it is an iPhone, but if you take good care of yours, even more people will take notice of it = potential higher value.

Then there's the thing about user experience; it's much more pleasant to look at an unscratched screen than noticing a streak every time you watch a video or play an app.

Finally, there's the pride thing. When I bought my first iPod on eBay, I was overjoyed and proud to own one even though it was scratched to heck and back. Over the years of reading how people kept there idevices in mint condition, I fell into that crowd and wanted to protect my products, too. I'm sure each person has their own perception. Sent from my iPhone 5.
Charadis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:49 AM   #14
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

First off who's going to pay 700 for s phone? The 64gb iphone is only 400
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:57 AM   #15
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
Not everyone buys the phone on contract.

$400 is not a small amount of money either.
Beeplance is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:59 AM   #16
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

1) I am very OCD about the conditions of my product.....a tiny scratch would annoy me beyond belief (almost a stressed out feeling)

2) resale value. An iphone in perfect condition will sell a lot better than one with flaws; making upgrades yearly very do-able
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:10 AM   #17
Nale72
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
Here in Sweden the lowest price for a new unlocked iPhone 5 16 GB is $900. You can get it for less (up front) if you buy it with a subscription/contract with an added monthly cost on your bill. But in the long run (over the contract that's normally 24 months) you often still payed at least $730 for the hardware only .
Nale72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:10 AM   #18
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charadis View Post
For me, it's partially about resale value. A lot of people would buy an iPhone just because it is an iPhone, but if you take good care of yours, even more people will take notice of it = potential higher value.

Then there's the thing about user experience; it's much more pleasant to look at an unscratched screen than noticing a streak every time you watch a video or play an app.

Finally, there's the pride thing. When I bought my first iPod on eBay, I was overjoyed and proud to own one even though it was scratched to heck and back. Over the years of reading how people kept there idevices in mint condition, I fell into that crowd and wanted to protect my products, too. I'm sure each person has their own perception. Sent from my iPhone 5.
Yup! I agree 100%. When you upgrade, having a scratched and dented phone will net you less at resale.
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:47 AM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Personally I don't care about scratches on ANY of my devices, Apple or not, as long as the scratches aren't on the screen
Agreed. It is a phone and will get scratched.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:54 AM   #20
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Apple sells and markets this phone as a very expensive 'jewel'. Are people wrong to expect delivery on that promise?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:00 PM   #21
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charadis View Post
My thoughts also. I resell every year so I want it top notch for top dollar.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:34 PM   #22
Peanut207
macrumors 6502

I think some imperfections help with the beauty of it. My Black iPhone 5 has been naked since day 1 and yes it does have very slight wear and tear on the chamfered edges but that's to be expected. It is how the iPhone 5 was designed and natural wear and tear in my eyes helps give the phone character.
Peanut207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:49 PM   #23
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Did you actually just compare the iPhone to the Mona Lisa?
Yes I kind of did, and I think it's valid, though they're not on the same level.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:01 PM   #24
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Because this...(cut from my last post)

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry; by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing the associated anxiety; or by a combination of such obsessions and compulsions. Symptoms of the disorder include excessive washing or cleaning; repeated checking; extreme hoarding; preoccupation with sexual, violent or religious thoughts; relationship-related obsessions; aversion to particular numbers; and nervous rituals, such as opening and closing a door a certain number of times before entering or leaving a room. These symptoms can be alienating and time-consuming, and often cause severe emotional and financial distress. The acts of those who have OCD may appear paranoid and potentially psychotic. However, OCD sufferers generally recognize their obsessions and compulsions as irrational, and may become further distressed by this realization.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:08 PM   #25
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

....because of 1st world problems
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone