Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Felicide
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4s Unlocked--DATA

Last year I purchased a 3GS, and had the same data issue. I have now upgraded to a 4s, and am hoping the data problem can be resolved.

It is a 4s, running iOS 6.0.1 on ATT prepaid (and modem firmware is 3.0.04, if that is important, it has been in the past..)

Text and calls work, however I get this when I try to use data..Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	389125

This is the same message I received a year ago too, and the resolution involved altering the apn or something. Although apparently with iOS 6 apple made it so you cannot do that anymore?

(By the way, picture messages do not send, either)

If anyone has solutions, thanks a lot!
Felicide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:09 PM   #2
darricksailo
macrumors 68040

I am on T-Mobile with an iPhone 5 and am able to alter the APN settings. My iPhone is unlocked. Are you sure you haven't tried to see if you can edit the APN settings?
Settings -> General -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Network. From there, you can manually configure your APN settings
darricksailo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Felicide
macrumors newbie

No, this is what shows up, I do not have an option to do that
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).PNG
Views:	40
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	389342
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Do you have a data plan on your prepaid account?
Go to unlockit.co.nz using your iphones safari browser and try to download and install the correct apn config file.
Applejuiced is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Felicide
macrumors newbie

yep, I do. And I have tried the site, but ever since ios6 I haven't gotten it to work (I had data working on my 3GS, although picture texts never sent/received. On the new phone, neither work.)
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Try this site too
http://bigwireless.us/wap/stdata.html
On this site http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/
It has about 8 different configuration files for AT&T USA.
Try the PAYG one. If that doesnt work attempt a few other ones too.
It works, you just gotta fight with it a little.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Felicide
macrumors newbie

Doing this, I now get this message after 2-3 different tries..
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).PNG
Views:	38
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	389349
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Felicide
macrumors newbie

Oh, nevermind, because the PAYG one works I'm just dumb.

On another note, the pictures still will not send. I don't suppose you know how to fix that, too?

**also, safari is working on network, but imessages are not still, either. I did not notice this at first.
Felicide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Felicide
macrumors newbie

I'm bumping this because I really would appreciate answers, it's very frustrating. The data isn't working again except for internet, my imessage will not activate, so i just deleted the stupid apn thing.

I know it is possible to do this, I am just so tired of trying to figure it out.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicide View Post
I'm bumping this because I really would appreciate answers, it's very frustrating. The data isn't working again except for internet, my imessage will not activate, so i just deleted the stupid apn thing.

I know it is possible to do this, I am just so tired of trying to figure it out.
Lol
The data isn't working but the Internet does?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:48 AM   #11
darricksailo
macrumors 68040

Have you tried going to your AT&T store and asking them? Maybe one out of all the employees can help you
darricksailo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:01 AM   #12
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

They most likely won't help because it's against AT&T's policy to use an iPhone with their prepaid GoPhone SIMs.

What they'll want to do is set you up on a month-to-month smartphone plan at the regular $80+ rate.

If you want low cost prepaid on AT&T's network, I'd suggest using an AT&T mvno such as Straight Talk, Net10, Red Pocket, etc.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:09 AM   #13
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
They most likely won't help because it's against AT&T's policy to use an iPhone with their prepaid GoPhone SIMs.

What they'll want to do is set you up on a month-to-month smartphone plan at the regular $80+ rate.

If you want low cost prepaid on AT&T's network, I'd suggest using an AT&T mvno such as Straight Talk, Net10, Red Pocket, etc.
Yeah, I was told AT&T Prepaid doesn't support the iPhone, even if you have a data plan.
madsci954 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:39 PM   #14
Felicide
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post

Yeah, they do not help you. Although when I went to get a micro sim the girl just set the whole thing up for me and just told me not to call for help because nobody can help me, technically.

I don't really know what "an ATT mvno" is, but don't all of those require plans? Just reduced price a little.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:51 PM   #15
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yeah, they do not help you. Although when I went to get a micro sim the girl just set the whole thing up for me and just told me not to call for help because nobody can help me, technically.

I don't really know what "an ATT mvno" is, but don't all of those require plans? Just reduced price a little.
I'm not sure what you mean by require plans, but most (if not all) are a prepaid month-to-month service with no contracts.

mvno's (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) sublease from major spectrum holders (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc), then provide that service to consumers at a lower rate. Lower because they aren't paying to build and maintain their own network.

Here is a list of US based mvno's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:42 PM   #16
heyitsfez
macrumors member

Quote:

Try resetting the network settings. I used to get this exact same error, I'm on an unlocked iphone 5 using data on prepaid. I did that I never saw that error again.

Settings - General - Reset - reset network settings

It wont delete anything personal on your phone. It'll just reset the way the phone is used to fetch data. It shouldn't hurt to try. That's how I got rid of that screen which was annoying. I also read this solution from another forum, so I'm pretty sure this should work for you,

Good luck!
heyitsfez is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone