Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:42 AM   #1
WJKramer
macrumors 6502

Element Case ION 5 Released!

Finally! Hands down best medium duty iPhone case for the 4/4S now for the iPhone 5. Released for CES 2013. Just placed my order.

Last edited by WJKramer; Jan 10, 2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar
WJKramer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:46 AM   #2
sagar4995
macrumors 6502a

just an hour back my friend sent me a case from the element website. since we're into black ops2 on the ps3, i found this case bloddy amazing!!! the price tag however was a major turn off!!!
http://www.elementcase.com/Sector-5-...-1021-kk22.htm
Instagram ID - SagarChablani
sagar4995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:09 AM   #3
BoomstickMafia
macrumors member

Just saw the email on this.

What gets me is the carbon fiber. It looks to cover about half of the iPhone antennae on the top and bottom of the back side of the phone.

They had to stop supplying the CF with the S5. Maybe the TPU will still allow signal to reach the phone uninterrupted?!?!
BoomstickMafia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:17 AM   #4
WJKramer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomstickMafia View Post
Just saw the email on this.

What gets me is the carbon fiber. It looks to cover about half of the iPhone antennae on the top and bottom of the back side of the phone.

They had to stop supplying the CF with the S5. Maybe the TPU will still allow signal to reach the phone uninterrupted?!?!
I gotta think that it isn't a issue being they just released the ION 5 in this configuration after the S5 issue. But only one way to find out. I will post my review.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Dino F
macrumors 6502a

Case looks cool for $49.95 however, to ship to the U.K. (where I live) its an additional $30 for Fed Ex plus the fact that we always seem to also incur Customs charges on top which bumps up the total price to nearer the $100 mark, which simply makes this case not worth the money.....
Dino F is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:14 AM   #6
lsh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJKramer View Post
I gotta think that it isn't a issue being they just released the ION 5 in this configuration after the S5 issue. But only one way to find out. I will post my review.
Please also comment on weight and size of access for connections (ie. will lightning cable to 30 pin fit? How open is the headphone jack?
lsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Menel
macrumors 601

Yay!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:50 AM   #8
theautopilot
macrumors 6502a

Great looking case, I think I will get one if I can get it to the UK cheaply. Do element only deal direct?
theautopilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Six8
macrumors 6502a

Looks good but I don't like that much lip around the edge
Six8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Ta0jin
macrumors 6502

I would cop that in a second but sadly I'm waiting for the TakTik Extreme.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six8 View Post
I like alot of lip around the edge... wait were talking about cases... Nevermind my bad :P
Ta0jin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:21 PM   #11
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Meh
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:26 PM   #12
LxHunter
macrumors 6502

Nice. But waiting and hoping they release a Formula 4 for the iPhone 5. By far my favorite case.

http://www.elementcase.com/Formula-4-Black-w-Carbon-Back-p/api4-1310-kf00.htm
LxHunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:50 PM   #13
v3rn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxHunter View Post
Nice. But waiting and hoping they release a Formula 4 for the iPhone 5. By far my favorite case.

http://www.elementcase.com/Formula-4...-1310-kf00.htm
It almost looks the same lol
v3rn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:41 PM   #14
HHHHH
Banned

Is there any aluminum in this?
HHHHH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:33 PM   #15
Ta0jin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHHH View Post
Is there any aluminum in this?
Nope, straight up TPU and carbon fiber insert.
Ta0jin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:10 PM   #16
BDoggPrelude
macrumors regular

Hmm. Tempting. Anybody want to speculate on whether or not this case will fit with the Bodyguardz Pure glass screen protector?
BDoggPrelude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:36 AM   #17
WJKramer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxHunter View Post
I initially liked the Formula series case but after time the two halves just didn't fit together well and it felt loose and creaky in my hand. I am no way rough with my iPhone and I never really took the case apart. Also, having the separation seam drove me nuts as well. I was much happier with the ION series.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six8 View Post
I gotta have the lip. Protect that chamfered edge!

As Bruce Dickinson said...."I gotta have more lip!"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude View Post
Hmm. Tempting. Anybody want to speculate on whether or not this case will fit with the Bodyguardz Pure glass screen protector?
I have a SPG Anti-Glare on there now (forget the actual name). Most likely not as thick as your glass protector but I will comment on the fit.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsh View Post
Please also comment on weight and size of access for connections (ie. will lightning cable to 30 pin fit? How open is the headphone jack?
I will, here is a pic of the bottom in the meantime.

Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:13 AM   #18
brudog68
macrumors 6502

The ion4 was my all time favorite case for ip4s...but they took away some of the best features for this ion5....the ion 4 had dimples around the outside edges which helped with grip and feel...it also had extra coverage below that involved the home button, which made it quick and easy to feel and find the home button...i also liked how the old one had the volume buttons exposed but recessed and covered...

Looks like they wanted this one to resemble their aluminum models too much...aint broke, dont fix it
brudog68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:40 AM   #19
pinkoos
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudog68 View Post
The ion4 was my all time favorite case for ip4s...but they took away some of the best features for this ion5....the ion 4 had dimples around the outside edges which helped with grip and feel...it also had extra coverage below that involved the home button, which made it quick and easy to feel and find the home button...i also liked how the old one had the volume buttons exposed but recessed and covered...

Looks like they wanted this one to resemble their aluminum models too much...aint broke, dont fix it
Hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. What a total fail! Why on earth did they do that? I agree that made a great case an excellent case. Now, not sure how this will feel in the hand and if it will make the case to "slippy."
pinkoos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:59 AM   #20
WJKramer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudog68 View Post

I dunno. I had the formula 4 with the same sides as this new ion 5 and grip was just fine. Don't think this is a issue as the TPU material is tacky enough for grip. I like the look of this design better. Almost looks like they combined the best from both series. We shall see.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:22 PM   #21
djbobbless
macrumors newbie

Just got my Ion 5 case in.. few things I noticed right away is the front of the case near the volume buttons are very sensitive. I could push the top lip and accidentally lower the volume on my ringer/sound. The feeling of the case although is great. One other thing is the packaging is pretty neat, similar packaging just like the sector 5 and what not. Comes with a screen protector and wiping cloth as well. Going to upload some photos later and contact element case in regards of the volume button sensitivity issue.

Another thing I just noticed is you'll want to make sure your screen protector is centered well, if it's leaning to the left or right just slightly a little it will lift. Wished I had a glass protector to inform if it fits with.

djbobbless is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:27 PM   #22
macandmercedes
macrumors member

Nice iPhone case

Very nice looking case with a decent price point. How's the screen protection?
macandmercedes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:40 PM   #23
Prospekt
macrumors regular

Is it loose at all? I'm curious in this case and I never got to try the past versions. Looks nice!
Prospekt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:42 PM   #24
djbobbless
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospekt View Post
Is it loose at all? I'm curious in this case and I never got to try the past versions. Looks nice!
There is a complete lip over the phone so this should offer decent drop protection.

As for fitment, it is pretty snug with the phone. There is some flex in the tpu but thats in order to slide the phone in without excessive force of course. I don't see it getting loose in the long run. I had the same case for the 4S and it was great.
djbobbless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:40 PM   #25
djstile
macrumors regular

How is the grip on the case? Slippery or more of a matte/rubberized grip?
djstile is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories