Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
IMO its pretty accurate. I laughed but its a hollow laugh really because its true.

Proud that I have never bought any DLC. I tried to buy Minervas Den for Bioshock 2 but Windows Games Live crashes upon start up.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
That made me laugh out loud. Especially the warnings "Please return to the combat zone!", "Shoot enemies to kill them", and how the boss fight was over with one rocket shot!

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
It's funny, but I don't agree with the underlying criticism. I personally don't have a problem with games becoming more accessible, especially thinking about how frustrating the game and level design of some of those old school classics was at times.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
I wish games were less "on rails" than they are these days, and that the opening logos were either all on one screen or skippable, but I don't have a problem with the difficulty level.

I'm also fine with DLC if it's actually extra content that was created to add more value to a game that was worth it's retail price without the DLC.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I wish games were less "on rails" than they are these days, and that the opening logos were either all on one screen or skippable, but I don't have a problem with the difficulty level.

I'm also fine with DLC if it's actually extra content that was created to add more value to a game that was worth it's retail price without the DLC.

I remember the good ole days when you could hit "esc" when a game was loading and skip the logos and go straight to the main menu.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
They got it damn right in the vid! :D

It's not about making games more accessible. It's about turning a set
of mundane tasks into an experience filled with over-glorified achievements. :eek:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Way back games where made to beat you.
Now they are made to be beaten.

There are NO decent rpgs or adventure games anymore, they are all about leveling a character to max level and get the big armour, once done you do it all over again with a different race/profession character. No puzzle solving, no REAL exploring of dungeons just gung ho raid type things that take a few hours to complete, no REAL quests as such well other than feed my cows or walk with me to the next village type things, and story lines are crap.

I do not want DLC, I just want to buy a decent game to play.

Cant wait for this - http://www.baldursgate.com/osx.en.html

Last edited:

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012

There are NO decent rpgs or adventure games anymore, they are all about leveling a character to max level and get the big armour, once done you do it all over again with a different race/profession character. No puzzle solving, no REAL exploring of dungeons just gung ho raid type things that take a few hours to complete, no REAL quests as such well other than feed my cows or walk with me to the next village type things, and story lines are crap.

Agreed. Fortunately, not all games are like that, but it seems like most of the decent titles are done by the indie scene, lately. Even though 90% of them are platformers.:)

The last really good adventure game I played was Primordia (which is coming to the Mac next year, I think).

But yeah, not that many proper RPG games worth mentioning, other than Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, right now.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I wish games were less "on rails" than they are these days

That's what I loved about the original Deus Ex. Huge levels that you could explore. I remember a tricky climb to a ledge high up on a building and finding a sniper rifle and and few other items. There was no reason for me to go up there except to explore and there was no reason for those items to be there except some artist/programmer thought it was a cool place to put stuff.

And you could solve a problem in multiple ways. You could pepper spray an enemy and then bludgeon him with a crowbar. Or you could lay a proximity bomb and lure him to his death. Or you could tranquilize him, stab him, shoot him in the head, or reprogram a turret to kill him. So many possibilities.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012

Seems like you're describing MMORPGs, which I personally don't play, but there have been good RPGs like the Witcher 2. At least I was very convinced by the plot and story. Skyrim and Oblivion were also pretty decent, and I was somewhat entertained by the Fable series on Xbox and really liked the Mass Effect series. Admittedly, those aren't classic RPGs, I guess ever since Ultima Underworld I appreciate some action in an RPG. I did enjoy Final Fantasy VII though, and still think it's one of the best video games ever made.

But yeah, I agree with what you describe, it really deters me from a game as well, Diablo 3 being the only exception. I don't mind optional DLC (not buying it though), but what they did with Mass Effect 3 was a joke. I didn't know about that DLC upfront and felt like I'm missing a big part of the game afterwards when I heard about. How you can offer an essential part of the game and story, as optional DLC? I paid $59.99 + tax for the game, and that DLC had been available from the get go, no reason to release the game without it. At least it gives me a reason to pick up ME3 for cheap on Steam now and play it again on the iMac ; )

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
In today's America, no child ever loses. There are no losers anymore. Everyone's a winner. No matter what the game or sport or competition, everybody wins. Everybody wins, everybody gets a trophy, no one is a loser. No child these days ever gets to hear those all-important, character building words: "You lost, Bobby! You lost, you're a loser, Bobby!". They miss out on that. You know what they tell a kid who lost these days? "You were the last winner." A lot of these kids never get to hear the truth about themselves until they're in their twenties. When their boss calls them in and says "Bobby, clean the **** out of your desk and get the **** out of here, you're a loser."

- George Carlin

This applies to modern day gaming as much as it does everything else. Quake has no problem kicking your ass to the curb with a rocket in the face and exploding your body into a shower of giblets. None of the old games had a problem with doing that. That was part of the experience- mastering the game and getting good enough at it to beat it.

Today, everyone has to have fun. If the game is kicking your ass, then the game is broken so it should be made easier. Nobody wants a challenge anymore. They just want to see how Master Chief inevitably saves the galaxy yet again.

-SC

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
If only that were an option. Mass Effect and ME2 are available through Steam, but not ME3.

Did not know that...found it on Amazon for $29.99, which I'm not willing to pay for a game I already played. Are there any other options, will it come to Steam?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I couldn't tell you. My guess would be no though. As for other options? Well, you can either torrent it illegally or wait for a sale. I'd wait for a sale.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I couldn't tell you. My guess would be no though. As for other options? Well, you can either torrent it illegally or wait for a sale. I'd wait for a sale.

Oh well, plenty of other games I should complete first anyways, it's not like I wanted to buy it tomorrow. For now I still have to finish Sleeping Dogs, the first Witcher, Metro 2033 and Assassin's Creed III, which I bought at very decent prices.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

So you never tried the old-school but made-for-MacOSX RPGs from Spiderweb Software?

Decent old school RPGs, where the adventure and the story and the background history is the focus, rather than the bling bling graphics eye candy, is what Spiderweb's RPGs are about. AND they are all compatible all the way up to OSX Mountain Lion.

Another good one is the Eschalon RPG series from Basilisk Games. Eschalon Book III (the third game) will release in Summer 2013.

Both the developers I mention above are Mac-first (Windows-second) RPG developers. They are small indie companies, but they deserve consideration. Oh and they usually offer a DEMO version of their games if you download directly from their website. No demo version if you buy at the Apple Mac App Store.

http://www.spidweb.com

http://basiliskgames.com

----------

FPS shooters on "rails" only makes sense for iOS/tablet/iPhone games, where the controls are limited. The use of rails is simply a way to facilitate game mechanics on those devices. I understand that concept.

On full sized Macs and PCs, rail shooters have no reason to exist. You have a full sized desktop (or laptop) computer capable of full keyboard and mouse/gamepad input controls. Rails have no place there.

Renzatic

Suspended

I think what you need is a big dose of prepare to die!

...that's a link to Dark Souls, by the way. I'm not actually telling you to die or anything. I'm not that mean.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
So you never tried the old-school but made-for-MacOSX RPGs from Spiderweb Software?

Decent old school RPGs, where the adventure and the story and the background history is the focus, rather than the bling bling graphics eye candy, is what Spiderweb's RPGs are about. AND they are all compatible all the way up to OSX Mountain Lion.

Another good one is the Eschalon RPG series from Basilisk Games. Eschalon Book III (the third game) will release in Summer 2013.

Both the developers I mention above are Mac-first (Windows-second) RPG developers. They are small indie companies, but they deserve consideration. Oh and they usually offer a DEMO version of their games if you download directly from their website. No demo version if you buy at the Apple Mac App Store.

http://www.spidweb.com

http://basiliskgames.com

Yea I have in the past but they seem to lack something that does not hold me, after an hour or so I have had enough, do not know why.

Renzatic

Suspended
I want to give this a go, I have one question, will I be able to use a wireless 360 controller in Bootcamp ?

Provided you've got the wireless dongle, yup.

And if you don't have one, it's well worth picking one up for this game alone. For one, it kinda sucks playing with the mouse and keyboard, and two, it's pretty much the game tailor made for you.

It's open ended, and gives you tons and tons and tons of places to explore. It won't hold your hand at all once you're past the first 10 minutes. You're kicked into the deep end, and expected to sink or swim from that point on. It'll take you at least 40 hours to beat. At least. More likely you'll be closing in on 80+ if you want to scour every nook and cranny there is.

...and it is not easy. At all. While it's never unfair (cept for that one part with those ****ing ghosts), it won't exactly go out of its way to make things simple for you. Even if you were to grind out and overlevel, there's never a single point in the game where you're truly safe. You get too cocky and start charging into groups of monsters you took on 30 hours and 50 levels ago...doesn't matter. You will most likely die.

I think you'll like it. :p

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Provided you've got the wireless dongle, yup.

And if you don't have one, it's well worth picking one up for this game alone. For one, it kinda sucks playing with the mouse and keyboard, and two, it's pretty much the game tailor made for you.

It's open ended, and gives you tons and tons and tons of places to explore. It won't hold your hand at all once you're past the first 10 minutes. You're kicked into the deep end, and expected to sink or swim from that point on. It'll take you at least 40 hours to beat. At least. More likely you'll be closing in on 80+ if you want to scour every nook and cranny there is.

...and it is not easy. At all. While it's never unfair (cept for that one part with those ****ing ghosts), it won't exactly go out of its way to make things simple for you. Even if you were to grind out and overlevel, there's never a single point in the game where you're truly safe. You get too cocky and start charging into groups of monsters you took on 30 hours and 50 levels ago...doesn't matter. You will most likely die.

I think you'll like it. :p

I have the dongle and wireless controller, so I just plug it all in and it works in Bootcamp with no TattieBogle and things ?

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
It'll likely fire right up if you're on Win7. If you're on XP, about the worst you should have to do is download the drivers and install them. I have a wired 360 controller, and it's never given me a single problem in all the years I've used it.

Though as with all things computer, your mileage may vary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.