Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:32 AM   #1
Ize Buko
macrumors newbie

Iphone 5 facetime problem

I always use facetime with my girlfriend using my iphone 4 and never had a problem with it. However, I recently purchased a new iphone 5 and have noticed that facetime always keeps on lagging and most of the times I cannot hear what my girlfriend is saying. But whenever I switch back to my iphone 4 then all these facetime problems don't happen. Is this a common problem among iphone 5 users? and how to fix it?
Ize Buko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:35 AM   #2
jav6454
macrumors G5

Seems like a dumb question, but is the usage of the iPhone 5 over Wi-Fi or LTE? I don't ask of the iPhone 4, since that one is strictly Wi-Fi only.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Ize Buko
macrumors newbie

Both using the same wifi. Using iphone 5 facetime is sometimes so unbearable of constant lagging that I then switch back to iphone 4 which has better performance with facetime.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:13 AM   #4
emjaycee18
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ize Buko View Post
Both using the same wifi. Using iphone 5 facetime is sometimes so unbearable of constant lagging that I then switch back to iphone 4 which has better performance with facetime.
Since you have both the 4 and 5 on the same Wifi, did you try doing a speed test on both phones to see if there was a connection issue with 5?
emjaycee18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:24 AM   #5
bsmith4832
macrumors member

I had a similar issue that got "better" but wasn't cured.

Mine was nearly unusable on my iPad and iPhone on my wifi. I was broadcasting G and N wireless. When I switched it back to strictly G, it got better. However, it still lags once every 5 min or so. It's annoying as hell. I'm sure it's an issue with my wifi and/or router but since my Facetime usage dropped to maybe only once a month, I stopped caring.

(Edit: I will add, I never had any problems on my 4 or 4S on the same wifi network)

If your speed tests are fine and Facetime works fine elsewhere, start playing with some router settings (if you know enough about that kind of stuff).
bsmith4832 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Ize Buko
macrumors newbie

Woah! I checked their speed and the iphone 5 is giving way faster download and upload speed. What I don't understand is why its performance on facetime is bad. Could this be an ios problem? or is this problem only happening to me?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:41 AM   #7
bsmith4832
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ize Buko View Post
Woah! I checked their speed and the iphone 5 is giving way faster download and upload speed. What I don't understand is why its performance on facetime is bad. Could this be an ios problem? or is this problem only happening to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith4832 View Post
If your speed tests are fine and Facetime works fine elsewhere, start playing with some router settings
bsmith4832 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone