Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Google beats Apple for patent grants in 2012

This is the first year Google beats Apple for patent grants in the US, with 15 more patents this year (1151 vs 1136) gaining the 21st spot over Apple's 22nd in the TOP 50 compiled by IFI. IBM and Samsung remain firmly entrenched in the 1st and 2nd spot this year :

http://ificlaims.com/index.php?page=misc_top_50_2012

Last year, Apple had placed 39th with 676 patent grants while Google had failed to even make the Top 50.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:58 AM   #2
dejo

KnightWRX, what is your personal view on this story? Do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing? Or something else?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:00 AM   #3
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

What I have learned about patents is that they mean **** all and people who do what the hell they want any way.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:08 AM   #4
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
KnightWRX, what is your personal view on this story? Do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing? Or something else?
I personally don't support software patents, which is what both Google and Apple mostly apply for. So this big a jump in the rankings for both isn't really something that will lead to a better atmosphere in the industry in my view.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:43 PM   #5
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
I personally don't support software patents,.
What other option would you recommend that they could use to protect their products, and designs?
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
What other option would you recommend that they could use to protect their products, and designs?
copy right already provides that.

A lot of those software patents are crapents.
I am with knight on there should not be software patents. Now I have a bigger issue when a company start suing with crapents. Case and point is Apple. They have been using several crapents and suing. one key example is slide to unlock.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:05 PM   #7
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
For software, there is already copyright and trademarks. I have already gone at length why that is sufficient for software vs patents.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Peace
macrumors P6

Does that number for Google include the patent portfolio it got from Motorola ?

This is odd too :

#8 2013 Hon Hai Precision Industry Co Ltd

Last edited by Peace; Jan 11, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:42 PM   #9
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Does that number for Google include the patent portfolio it got from Motorola ?
This is for Patent grants from the USPTO, not for patent acquisitions.

However, the question becomes if it includes patent grants that would have gone to Motorola for filings done prior to the Google acquisition, but granted after. I believe the answer is probably yes.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion