Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Ifti
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Tripod suggestions

I actually record video more then take photos' but thought this thread may be better suited here.

I'm after a new tripod with a horizontal arm. At the moment I am using my Canon EOS 650D with the 18-135mm STM Lens on this tripod, which is rather solid......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXApehkBY9A

In order to get a better view on the subject, including 'over the top' views, I'm looking for a tripod like this.....

http://www.tabletopstudio.co.uk/Page...ting%20Arm.htm

The horizontal arm really would give me great flexibility.

I'm based in the UK and the above tripod is the only one of this type I can find!!!
What do you think of price? Was hoping to spend a bit less to be honest but its not a deal breaker if you feel it is a good tripod?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
__________________
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6GHz Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7GHz Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6GHz Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040
 
Designer Dale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Folding space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
I actually record video more then take photos' but thought this thread may be better suited here.

I'm after a new tripod with a horizontal arm. At the moment I am using my Canon EOS 650D with the 18-135mm STM Lens on this tripod, which is rather solid......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXApehkBY9A

In order to get a better view on the subject, including 'over the top' views, I'm looking for a tripod like this.....

http://www.tabletopstudio.co.uk/Page...ting%20Arm.htm

The horizontal arm really would give me great flexibility.

I'm based in the UK and the above tripod is the only one of this type I can find!!!
What do you think of price? Was hoping to spend a bit less to be honest but its not a deal breaker if you feel it is a good tripod?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
What you're looking for is called a horizontal center column and most modern tripods have collars that allow that kind of positioning. That price is around $320 USD and you should be able to get a good tripod for that price. Aluminum is cheaper and carbon fiber is lighter. Look at the offerings from Manfrotto to get a feel of what's on the market .

Dale
__________________
How to Post, Quote and Multi-Quote Photos - My Google Docs Folder 12/2011
I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
Designer Dale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Ifti
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Dale View Post
What you're looking for is called a horizontal center column and most modern tripods have collars that allow that kind of positioning. That price is around $320 USD and you should be able to get a good tripod for that price. Aluminum is cheaper and carbon fiber is lighter. Look at the offerings from Manfrotto to get a feel of what's on the market .

Dale
Thank you for your advice.

I've come up with these two by Manfrotto:

Cheaper one of the two:
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-m...ripod/p1017664

Just wondering if the horizontal centre colum will be strong enough to take the weight of a standard DSLR?

This one also seems pretty good, comes with a ball head and free monopod as well:
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-m...-head/p1532711

Weight doesn't bother me too much as I don't travel around with the tripod very much.

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated.
__________________
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6GHz Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7GHz Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6GHz Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020
 
Cheffy Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
I have had a Slik tripod since 1972, still my side kick!
__________________
lotsa "stuff"
Cheffy Dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:56 PM   #5
TheDrift-
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
If your not carrying it around (or are carrying it around and dont mind the weight) check out the x55prob from manfrotto..you'll need a head, but its cheap and sturdy and good quality

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-05...7944998&sr=8-1
__________________
www.shaunw.com
TheDrift- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:58 PM   #6
chriscl
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nottingham, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
Thank you for your advice.

I've come up with these two by Manfrotto:

Cheaper one of the two:
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-m...ripod/p1017664

Just wondering if the horizontal centre colum will be strong enough to take the weight of a standard DSLR?

This one also seems pretty good, comes with a ball head and free monopod as well:
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-m...-head/p1532711

Weight doesn't bother me too much as I don't travel around with the tripod very much.

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated.
I have that Manfrotto 190 and the 'older' version of that head, and it works very well for me; Canon EOS30D dSLR, often mounted with a 70-200 f4L lens, which makes for a fairly heavy setup.

I've had no problems at all with mine, and the 190 is going strong after five years of hard use. It is very stable when extended, and has the flexibility to give me all sorts of permutations in terms of length/reach.

If that's your budget, I can highly recommend it.
__________________
Chris
some stuff with an logo on them.
chriscl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Ifti
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrift- View Post
If your not carrying it around (or are carrying it around and dont mind the weight) check out the x55prob from manfrotto..you'll need a head, but its cheap and sturdy and good quality

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-05...7944998&sr=8-1
True, although for an extra 30 I get the 496Rc2 Ball Head and monopod, so seems like better value overall. Leaning more towards this option to be honest....
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-m...&utm_source=aw
__________________
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6GHz Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7GHz Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6GHz Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040
 
Designer Dale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Folding space
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrift- View Post
If your not carrying it around (or are carrying it around and dont mind the weight) check out the x55prob from manfrotto..you'll need a head, but its cheap and sturdy and good quality

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-05...7944998&sr=8-1
This is my current tripod. Solid as a rock.

Dale
__________________
How to Post, Quote and Multi-Quote Photos - My Google Docs Folder 12/2011
I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
Designer Dale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:18 PM   #9
fcortese
macrumors 68000
 
fcortese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Big Sky country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Dale View Post
This is my current tripod. Solid as a rock.

Dale
Agree with Dale that this tripod is solid as a rock but it is heavy to haul around. If you are doing a lot of hiking or walking from location to location, the Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 is lighter and almost as sturdy, easier to carry around and has the center column that can go horizontal. I have no problem with my Canon 5D3 perched on it in the horizontal position. Make sure you have a good ball head.
__________________
15"MBP 2.66 i7 8GB; iPod Classic; iPhone5; Canon 5DIII w/24-105 f4L & 4 lenses
"You can observe a lot by just watching"-Yogi Berra
www.fotosbyflorian.com
fcortese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040
 
Designer Dale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Folding space
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcortese View Post
Agree with Dale that this tripod is solid as a rock but it is heavy to haul around. If you are doing a lot of hiking or walking from location to location, the Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 is lighter and almost as sturdy, easier to carry around and has the center column that can go horizontal. I have no problem with my Canon 5D3 perched on it in the horizontal position. Make sure you have a good ball head.
Marginal reading comp error on my part. Actually, though, I have both. I replaced the aluminum one with the carbon fiber version. Almost bought a Gitzo, but the photo gods were smiling on me...

Dale
__________________
How to Post, Quote and Multi-Quote Photos - My Google Docs Folder 12/2011
I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
Designer Dale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Prodo123
macrumors 68020
 
Prodo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffy Dave View Post
I have had a Slik tripod since 1972, still my side kick!
Agreed, I trust all my gear on Slik. I'd pick a different brand for a head though.
Damn solid, good value, always reliable.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz hi-res glossy, 16GB RAM, Logitech G700, Das Keyboard, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB iPhone 5 White 32GB Audiophile Photographer, videographer, audio engineer
Prodo123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:03 AM   #12
Ifti
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodo123 View Post
Agreed, I trust all my gear on Slik. I'd pick a different brand for a head though.
Damn solid, good value, always reliable.
Do Slik make tripods with horizontal arms as well? - I would really use a horizontal arm, hence why I'm leaning towards the Manfrotto.
__________________
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6GHz Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7GHz Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6GHz Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Giottos Tripod AT06 Digital Photography 0 Apr 19, 2013 08:58 AM
Which iPhone tripod is this? TxMacAddict iPhone Accessories 2 Dec 22, 2012 10:30 AM
What Tripod do you guys use? i-sidd iPhone Accessories 1 Aug 24, 2012 05:44 PM
Thinking about a new tripod dimme Digital Photography 6 Jul 19, 2012 03:32 PM
Best tripod for smartphone? damiengolding iPhone Accessories 3 Jun 29, 2012 01:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC