Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Steevie
Banned

iPhone available for T-Mobile in 3-4 months

How many people out there are actually willing to change carriers??
Steevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

I had T-mobile in the sidekick days. Simply put, never again.
Diseal3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:06 PM   #3
CEmajr
macrumors 68040

My main line is an iPhone 5 with Verizon but I also have a special unlimited everything line with T-Mobile open that's $20 per month.

Once they get lte here in charlotte though I will consider dropping Verizon altogether. Tmobile has real unlimited data and the best rate plans. Only thing missing was the iPhone.

They do have some major issues of 2G only areas between cities but I don't travel enough for it to be a big deal.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:22 PM   #4
upnorth85
macrumors regular

Take my advice - A SGS2 user, bought an unlocked iPhone 5 after T-mobile announced Minneapolis is refarmed. Lousy coverage. I have Edge most of the time, and when you do see 3G on your iPhone and you enter a building it switches back to Edge. I frequently have seen no service on my iPhone 5, which I never see on the T-mobile HSPA+ network. I switched back to SGS2. The refarmed 1900 Mhz 3G compatible with iPhones is worse than Sprint. You get what you pay for. And there is more..! T-mobile while claiming 120 million US population covered in 40 cities, it refuses to put 3G coverage maps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevie View Post
How many people out there are actually willing to change carriers??
upnorth85 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:35 PM   #5
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

I have always loved T-Mobile but my problem was the inconsistency of their 3G/HSPA+ network. I was using the S3 on T-Mobile for a while and it liked to just switch to EDGE. The network needs a lot of work if you ask me. AT&T has the $$$ to max out their network, T-Mobile doesn't Way too many EDGE only places.
BlueMoonForever is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:36 PM   #6
yeah
macrumors 6502a

I'm buying the iPhone 5 when it's released
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Steevie
Banned

man T-Mobile really sucks doesnt it... I guess you do get what you pay for.
Steevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:44 PM   #8
corys00
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth85 View Post
Take my advice - A SGS2 user, bought an unlocked iPhone 5 after T-mobile announced Minneapolis is refarmed. Lousy coverage. I have Edge most of the time, and when you do see 3G on your iPhone and you enter a building it switches back to Edge. I frequently have seen no service on my iPhone 5, which I never see on the T-mobile HSPA+ network. I switched back to SGS2. The refarmed 1900 Mhz 3G compatible with iPhones is worse than Sprint. You get what you pay for. And there is more..! T-mobile while claiming 120 million US population covered in 40 cities, it refuses to put 3G coverage maps!
Coverage varies for everyone.. I'm in Orlando, this is with an iPhone 5. Check airportal.de for coverage. Also, there is performance differences between HSPA+ on 1900 and on AWS, at least here in Orlando I have friends on AWS HSPA+ that get consistent 20MB+ performance on their phones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-14 17.59.09.png
Views:	14
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	390325  
corys00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:22 PM   #9
upnorth85
macrumors regular

HSPA+ on AWS does not work for iPhones. So that discussion is irrelevant here. The fact remains that T-Mobiles 3G running on 1900 MHz is spotty and Eakins. The higher frequency is unable to penetrate buildings and will be poor laggard among the 4 national networks. No iPhone has got 20 Mbs + on T-Mobile network. I challenge you to post those speed screen capture shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corys00 View Post
Coverage varies for everyone.. I'm in Orlando, this is with an iPhone 5. Check airportal.de for coverage. Also, there is performance differences between HSPA+ on 1900 and on AWS, at least here in Orlando I have friends on AWS HSPA+ that get consistent 20MB+ performance on their phones.
upnorth85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:27 PM   #10
corys00
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth85 View Post
HSPA+ on AWS does not work for iPhones. So that discussion is irrelevant here. The fact remains that T-Mobiles 3G running on 1900 MHz is spotty and Eakins. The higher frequency is unable to penetrate buildings and will be poor laggard among the 4 national networks. No iPhone has got 20 Mbs + on T-Mobile network. I challenge you to post those speed screen capture shots.
I'm not implying the iPhone uses AWS, if it did all this refarming wouldn't be happening. I mentioned with AWS HSPA+ devices there is better performance to be had. As for the spotty argument, once again, coverage is relative to your location and what works for you doesn't necessarily work for me and vice versa.

I am usually over on the east side of Orlando and do not lose 3G coverage inside of friends houses. They've not even announced Orlando and I am rather happy with 3G coverage for ME. Once again, what works for me might not work for you.

Last edited by corys00; Jan 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
corys00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone