Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:49 PM   #1
craigblues
macrumors member

Best Place & Price for 32GB RAM for New iMac

Evening all!

Well now I have got my Shipped email from Apple, (YAY!)

I want to order the ram also so I have everything at the sametime.

Obviously I have found the Crucial memory 16GB Kits (obviously I would buy 2 Kits) Priced at 63.59 inc the dreaded VAT.

I just found this also at eBuyer, but unsure if its the same as above or not...
Linky

Or I wondered if there was somewhere else that I missed. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by craigblues; Jan 16, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
craigblues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:38 PM   #2
shenan1982
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblues View Post
Evening all!

Obviously I have found the Crucial memory 16GB Kits (obviously I would buy 2 Kits) Priced at 63.59 inc the dreaded VAT.

Linky

Aren't there only 2 RAM slots in the imac 27"
shenan1982 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:28 PM   #3
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Evening all!

Linky

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
Aren't there only 2 RAM slots in the imac 27"
Uh, FOUR.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:29 PM   #4
sshambles
macrumors regular

OWC does memory, with a lifetime warranty.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor.../2012_27/DDR3L
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
craigblues
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshambles View Post
OWC does memory, with a lifetime warranty.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor.../2012_27/DDR3L
Thanks but I'm in UK.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:19 PM   #6
TurboGrafx16Fan
macrumors newbie

I purchased memory from Crucial. They are a well known name brand, have quality products and that goes a long way when it comes to memory. You might be able to save some money elsewhere, but the potential headaches that could ensue are not worth it.
TurboGrafx16Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:27 PM   #7
sounddesigner
macrumors regular

what about using amazon? and getting crucial ram?
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:30 PM   #8
craigblues
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGrafx16Fan View Post
I purchased memory from Crucial. They are a well known name brand, have quality products and that goes a long way when it comes to memory. You might be able to save some money elsewhere, but the potential headaches that could ensue are not worth it.
I'm not looking for cheap but I know alot of other suppliers also stock the Crucial Memory and just wondered if any had a sale on.

Crucial I think it is, but I have heard some mention Crosair memory is also good. Just want to make the right choice. I have always gone Crucial in the past but has that been the right choice? ha!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:24 AM   #9
TurboGrafx16Fan
macrumors newbie

From my research they were all around the same price for the Crucial ram. I also noticed Crucial released a new model number that they suggest for the late 2012 iMac.
TurboGrafx16Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Tanax
macrumors 6502a

What are you gonna be using 32GB for? Just curious
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:58 PM   #11
drkmnx
macrumors newbie

best one !

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-1600M...n+8gb+ram+1600
drkmnx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:13 PM   #12
rjs2
macrumors member

I got mine from crucial. Saved 7% via quidco as well
rjs2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:22 PM   #13
sshambles
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks but I'm in UK.
I'm in Australia... What's your point?
Did you need it tomorrow or something?

OWC I think are okay. I did see someone advertise 32GB for $195. Forget where though.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:35 PM   #14
turtlez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
What are you gonna be using 32GB for? Just curious
he probably does video and 3d work. If you do high res stuff it will quickly eat up even 32GB. Computers aren't only for gaming :P
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:03 AM   #15
Tanax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
he probably does video and 3d work. If you do high res stuff it will quickly eat up even 32GB. Computers aren't only for gaming :P
Or he could just be one of those who thinks he needs to "max out" and "future proof" his machine by getting what everyone else gets. Hence the question what he needs it for - which btw, he has failed to answer so far.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:48 AM   #16
turtlez
Banned

Quote:
Or he could just be one of those who thinks he needs to "max out" and "future proof" his machine by getting what everyone else gets. Hence the question what he needs it for - which btw, he has failed to answer so far.
perhaps but who cares lol, why do you even need to know. RAM is cheap anyway, may as well max it out.
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:55 AM   #17
craigblues
macrumors member

Well shall I answer all these questions. Ha!

One I do Video and Photo editing all day everyday. Plus for 120 for 32GB Ram to have the full capabilities of the 2200 machine I've just purchased just sounds the right thing to do...

I was basically confirming which brand I should go for. But I think I knew the answer from the start. Crucial it is.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:01 AM   #18
mistagogo
macrumors newbie

Quote:

One I do Video and Photo editing all day everyday. Plus for 120 for 32GB Ram to have the full capabilities of the 2200 machine I've just purchased just sounds the right thing to do...

I was basically confirming which brand I should go for. But I think I knew the answer from the start. Crucial it is.
Still getting 16Gb (plus the 8 original) you'll have more RAM than you need, and spend the extra 60 quid on something else.
mistagogo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:17 AM   #19
Tanax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
perhaps but who cares lol, why do you even need to know. RAM is cheap anyway, may as well max it out.
Quote:

Completely useless if you're not using it.
"May as well max it out" is exactly the kind of reasoning that is plain stupid and quite frankly, even idiotic.

Having the full capabilities of something doesn't mean anything if you can't use the machine to its full capability. 16GB will be more than enough for some photo and video editing. As a reference, I did video and photo editing on my MBP '09 with 4GB of RAM and never had any problems.

As a sidenote, you can add more RAM later if you do end up needing more. I would get 16GB and add more as time goes on if I need more. Just my 2 cents. But hey, your life and your money. Spend it on useless things if you wish
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:48 AM   #20
Gavzooka
macrumors member

So what would justify more RAM?

Personally, I want to run Parallels with a couple of VM's running at once, at least...I think that justifies a reasonable RAM upgrade.

Very large image editing.....probably at a professional level (not just photographs)...

3D Rendering and image manipulation.....

Professional level video/music editing maybe?

Anything else.....?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:01 AM   #21
Tanax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavzooka View Post
So what would justify more RAM?

Personally, I want to run Parallels with a couple of VM's running at once, at least...I think that justifies a reasonable RAM upgrade.

Very large image editing.....probably at a professional level (not just photographs)...

3D Rendering and image manipulation.....

Professional level video/music editing maybe?

Anything else.....?
Are you doing all those at once? And are you doing any of those for a living or just a hobby?

I'd say that you might benefit from 16GB but still probably don't need as much as 32GB. In any case, getting 16GB(2x8GB) at first won't hurt. If you notice that things are running slow, get 2x8GB more and you'll have 32GB.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:16 AM   #22
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I'd say that you might benefit from 16GB but still probably don't need as much as 32GB. In any case, getting 16GB(2x8GB) at first won't hurt. If you notice that things are running slow, get 2x8GB more and you'll have 32GB.
I agree with this, why not try 24GB (2 x 4GB it comes with and then buy 2 x 8GB aftermarket). I mean people can do what they want, but it seems to make more sense than just tossing 8GB of RAM you paid for (when you bought the machine). I did the same thing with my 27" late 2009. It came with 2 - 2GB sticks and I just stuck in 2 x 4GB's to get me to 12GB. It was plenty for me for me and then I sold it about a year and a half later to buy my Macbook Pro.

Now if you are running a laptop (i.e. Macbook Pro) then you have to toss the memory it came with since it only has two slots.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:17 AM   #23
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
I have a 32MB stick you can have for free!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:28 AM   #24
Tanax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
I agree with this, why not try 24GB (2 x 4GB it comes with and then buy 2 x 8GB aftermarket). I mean people can do what they want, but it seems to make more sense than just tossing 8GB of RAM you paid for (when you bought the machine). I did the same thing with my 27" late 2009. It came with 2 - 2GB sticks and I just stuck in 2 x 4GB's to get me to 12GB. It was plenty for me for me and then I sold it about a year and a half later to buy my Macbook Pro.

Now if you are running a laptop (i.e. Macbook Pro) then you have to toss the memory it came with since it only has two slots.
This makes even more sense. 24GB should be plenty enough for most people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
I have a 32MB stick you can have for free!
LOL, I didn't even notice the typo in the title XD
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:57 AM   #25
Gavzooka
macrumors member

Quote:
Are you doing all those at once? And are you doing any of those for a living or just a hobby?

I'm not doing any but the virtualisation but....I'm just suggesting so that people have an idea what extra RAM is useful for. Unsure on Mac OS but for 3D rendering on a Windows more RAM makes a huge difference as it reduces the time data has to spend on a scratch disk. Same applies on large images, not so sure about large video files though.

For virtualisation, I'd be running between 2-4Gb per virtual machine and therefore 16Gb is probably plenty. However, I have to mock up test environments from time to time where I have to run multiple workstations and servers within the VM environment, so 32Gb would help with that....on PC they're not the fastest as you have to balance the load across processor cores but it does the job for what I need....I'm hoping the same is possible on my iMac when it arrives...

Last edited by Gavzooka; Jan 16, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Gavzooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac