Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1
mahnamahna
macrumors newbie

Tips on Selling iPhone 5

I just got an iPhone with an extra upgrade to make a little extra money reselling. The only problem is I am having trouble selling it on Craigslist. It is just so overrun by scam posts. Also I'm pretty sure half of the people responding to me are trying to scam me. Are there any better forums or exchange sites you guys know of? Also, what do you think I should be trying to get for an ATT 16 Gig still sealed? Also, speaking of it still being sealed, is it a problem that it comes with a SIM card? Will they be able to activate it on my account? Thanks a lot for any tips you can lend!
mahnamahna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:49 PM   #2
maflynn

I'd say only take cash and a personal transaction anyone offering paypal, or shipping should be ignored - I wouldn't even respond.

I think craigslist is the best option, other then maybe gazelle which is good if you want a quick sale, though you'll not get as much from them.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
ZeRoLiMiT
macrumors 6502

OR ebay?
ZeRoLiMiT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:59 PM   #4
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

sim will be deactivated if it isn't already. and they are going for 550-600 here. get it factory unlocked.... it will help it sell for only $2 more.
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:31 PM   #5
HungryWolf
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoLiMiT View Post
OR ebay?
^ that.

There are people getting robbed pretty often in consumer electronics exchanges. I personally take hits on some of my more expensive stuff on eBay as opposed to taking the risk.

Not to mention, it's way easier to sell on eBay.
HungryWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:33 PM   #6
designs216
macrumors 65816

Gotta be patient when using CL but the upsides are free listing and no shipping charges. Be sure to mention remaining AppleCare and that you have all original manuals, cables, etc and if you've kept it in an enclosure. Offer to meet them in an Apple store where they can have the Genius Bar check it out. These last 2 things reassure the buyer that YOU are legit.
designs216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:56 PM   #7
zone23
macrumors 6502a

I've been thinking about selling mine and it will go up on ebay IF i do. I have sold a few phones on ebay its painless.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:25 PM   #8
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
I've been thinking about selling mine and it will go up on ebay IF i do. I have sold a few phones on ebay its painless.
So have I and CL is even more painless. Free listing, post a few pics, ignore responses you don't want to deal with, setup meet at a public location, get cash and you are done. No fees. No need to ship. No worry you will get scammed by someone on eBay. CL is my preferred method.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:51 PM   #9
cfs112
macrumors member

In my experience, CL has become increasingly full of scam artists. Its getting harder and more time consuming to find legit buyers or sellers. I'd post it up on both CL and eBay.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:34 PM   #10
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfs112 View Post
In my experience, CL has become increasingly full of scam artists. Its getting harder and more time consuming to find legit buyers or sellers. I'd post it up on both CL and eBay.
Same is said for eBay. It is to the point where you have to video record the item being sold, that it works, that you packaged it and video record it at the post office/UPS/FedEx facility, video while you tape it up and video while you hand it over for shipping. Too many scams stating it was filled with rocks and no item in the box. Basically you need a signed affidavit stating you did send the item as eBay/Paypal have the history of siding with the buyer and not the seller. No thanks.

With CL you deal local and with cash. Not sure how you can get scammed if you meet in a safe, public spot that is busy with lots of people. Meet in an Apple store. Meet outside a police station/city hall. Meet in a busy Starbucks/Panera.

From CL you can tell if they are a legit and serious buyer by the grammar they use in the emails and whether they give their cell number for calling/text for meeting up.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:25 PM   #11
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

I usually set the meeting location at my local PD and that deters all scammers.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:57 PM   #12
Estes
macrumors member

My local bank has a pretty big lobby which makes for a great CL meeting place; plenty of people around and cameras filming everything.
Estes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:58 PM   #13
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estes View Post
My local bank has a pretty big lobby which makes for a great CL meeting place; plenty of people around and cameras filming everything.
ive never done at a bank yet. i get nervous they will boot me out lol. figured its a private place or something.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:26 PM   #14
Estes
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezeit View Post
ive never done at a bank yet. i get nervous they will boot me out lol. figured its a private place or something.
As you can probably tell from my location I live in a pretty small town so I've known most of the tellers awhile. Because of this they don't mind me being in there.
Estes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:49 PM   #15
mahnamahna
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess I'll be patient with craigslist. It is easy to spot the scammers, I just feel its hard to get any potential actual customers with so much ridiculous posts up there.

To clarify the SIM card shouldn't be a problem right, they won't be able to activate it. And is there any way to get the IMEI to unlock it without opening it? Thanks again!
mahnamahna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:25 PM   #16
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezeit View Post
I did a CL appointment in a Fedex Kinkos when I sold my MP. The video cameras would keep everyone honest and the computer area proved to be the perfect place for the buyer to test the machine.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice