Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ll PiStoNs ll

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
My release-day 2008 umb wouldn't charge, so I took it into the Apple store for a look. They said there was "evidence of heavy modification" AKA the inexperienced student working at the on campus authorized apple repair store who replaced my display (it was a "early adopter" model, needed a new lid and screen)

I needed a new MB anyway, but was just upset about what it really takes to become/maintain "authorized "- I called customer relations and the girl kindly offered $100 off a new mac. So today comes and it turns out it can't be applied with a student discount. Essentially, I'm no better off than I would have been without this "gift" - do you think calling back will do anything?

spykthomas

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
It's worth a try. Although, as the student discount is already significant, you may not be able to get the extra $100 off as well.

It's not unheard off for Apple to give in to some people who have pestered them and explain how they are very unhappy. 'Customer satisfaction' certainly used to be the most important thing to Apple Support.

Let us know how you get on.

ll PiStoNs ll

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Even with the pestering, they wouldn't budge on the price (something about their agreements with apple retaillers) but after explaining the situation, provided me with an "accessory" from the apple store for whatever new mac I get. (No price ceiling, but no ATV, Ipad and obviously mac)

Didnt want to press my luck too much, Went with the AirPort Extreme. IMO, they still have a better emphasis on customer satisfaction that most companies, even if it may have tapered off lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.