Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:46 AM   #1
Alundra
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
So what do you guys think of the CES announced Samsung's flexible display?

With Samsung innovating and Apple just tweaking their devices how do you think this will impact apple?
Alundra is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:25 AM   #2
navra233
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alundra View Post
With Samsung innovating and Apple just tweaking their devices how do you think this will impact apple?
Flexible display is very innovative thing from samsung, but we have to wait how the technology will be accepted by the tech lovers?

Apple shouldn't try to tweak products. It will harm its brand image. I think samsung got much more in market via its productiveness & innovative ideas.

If what OP saying is correct, we got missing steve jobs at Apple side.
navra233 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:33 AM   #3
Calinezul
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
samsung flexible display still in development phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alundra View Post
With Samsung innovating and Apple just tweaking their devices how do you think this will impact apple?
Samsung will release the first flexible device this year and until these displays will not have a good image quality is hard to believe that Apple will integrate these displays in any device.

About the impact, yes, will have a negative impact but not just for Apple. This will affect on short and medium period all manufacturers that doens't have any bendable device.
Calinezul is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:13 AM   #4
pat park
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
What is the real world application of a flexible screen? How would I incorporate that into my daily life and what advantages would it have?

Just not seeing the need for one or how it helps.
__________________
pat park is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:22 AM   #5
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat park View Post
What is the real world application of a flexible screen? How would I incorporate that into my daily life and what advantages would it have?

Just not seeing the need for one or how it helps.
Little screen when you desire pocketability, bigger screen when fully unfurled. I could easily see this taking on a iPhone-ish screen size (with much of the screen turned off to yield just an iPhone-size active screen when used this way). Then, when you desire a iPad Mini-ish-sized screen for larger screen benefits, you unfold it and the rest of the screen becomes active. Benefits of an iPhone AND benefits of an iPad Mini... in ONE device.

Furthermore, depending on how much flexibility it has, it might be possible to roll it up like a window shade (remember those old slide projector screens?). That would also give you portability when you need small and bigger screen when you desire it too.

And remember that old Microsoft Courier concept: http://www.brighthand.com/default.as...ier+Tablet+PC? Instead of having 2 separate tablets with a break in the middle, what if this allowed a single flexible panel to fold in the middle so that you had an uninterrupted very wide tablet when opened (but still iPad-ish-sized tablet when closed)?

There's lots of applications along these lines. I know the pictures shown so far make it looked like a warped iPhone screen (S-shaped bends, etc) but that's just the PR to get across the concept of a flexible screen (in a single glance). I doubt anyone is going to release an S-shaped smart phone. But I can easily imagine the utility of smaller screen to larger screen in one (future) device.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:25 AM   #6
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a
 
FlatlinerG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat park View Post
What is the real world application of a flexible screen? How would I incorporate that into my daily life and what advantages would it have?

Just not seeing the need for one or how it helps.
My thoughts exactly. Innovative? Heck yes; however, I just don't see the application. At least, not on anything currently developed. One area that could be cool would be physical maps and blueprints. Unroll them and voila.
__________________
Late 2011 MBP 13"
2TB Time Capsule, 2nd Gen AppleTV
16GB Black iPhone 5, 32GB Black iPad 2
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:44 AM   #7
pat park
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
Little screen when you desire pocketability, bigger screen when fully unfurled. I could easily see this taking on a iPhone-ish screen size (with much of the screen turned off to yield just an iPhone-size active screen when used this way). Then, when you desire a iPad Mini-ish-sized screen for larger screen benefits, you unfold it and the rest of the screen becomes active. Benefits of an iPhone AND benefits of an iPad Mini... in ONE device.

Furthermore, depending on how much flexibility it has, it might be possible to roll it up like a window shade (remember those old slide projector screens?). That would also give you portability when you need small and bigger screen when you desire it too.

And remember that old Microsoft Courier concept: http://www.brighthand.com/default.as...ier+Tablet+PC? Instead of having 2 separate tablets with a break in the middle, what if this allowed a single flexible panel to fold in the middle so that you had an uninterrupted very wide tablet when opened (but still iPad-ish-sized tablet when closed)?

There's lots of applications along these lines. I know the pictures shown so far make it looked like a warped iPhone screen (S-shaped bends, etc) but that's just the PR to get across the concept of a flexible screen (in a single glance). I doubt anyone is going to release an S-shaped smart phone. But I can easily imagine the utility of smaller screen to larger screen in one (future) device.
That all sounds great and IF the companies have an actual use that they can sell to us, we shall see. The ideas you mention all are great, but I think the applicable tech for these kinds of things are still far away. But it still has to have some real world advantage/benefit for it to exist in the first place.

Cool tech is great, but without some benefit for the end user in the real world, it's just cool tech.

I'm not going to totally dismiss the idea. I'm willing to look at it with a semi open mind set. But I need to see the need, benefits, before I can be sold.
__________________
pat park is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:52 AM   #8
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat park View Post
...I'm not going to totally dismiss the idea. I'm willing to look at it with a semi open mind set. But I need to see the need, benefits, before I can be sold.
How about a large iPad, which is half the size when folded up; something like what Sony tried, but a single display instead of two separate ones.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:01 AM   #9
syd430
Guest
 
I'll take 2 of the thing at 3:14
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:22 AM   #10
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
As usual, if Apple hasn't rolled it out, there's no application for it, it makes little-to-no sense, etc. I recall how the cheerleaders railed against those of us who thought the first iPad should have a front-facing camera. They passionately argued that it made no sense, "why would I want people looking up my nose", "how would anyone hold it steady enough?" and on and on. Then, out rolls version 2 with "facetime" and some of these same people flip flopped hard by suddenly seeing the benefits: "Take my money", "I'm already in line for one", etc.

I recall how the cheerleaders railed against 1080p via TV while Apple clung to a max of 720p. "I can't see the difference (so you can't either)", "streaming 1080p would crash the internet", "until national bandwidth is expanded everywhere it makes no sense", the chart, crazy file sizes and on and on. Then, Apple rolls out 1080p and it's as if all that 720p passion evaporated overnight and then some of the same people gushed about the quality of 1080p (from Apple).

There's a great Arn post over in a forecasted 2013 product roadmap thread at: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...5#post16671215 post #34 in which he includes two links. Click those and start reading the comments. Sound familiar? When those things that "made no sense" and "had no application" and "total fail" came to be- that is, when Apple actually rolled them out- THEN they made great sense, "take my money please", gush, love, can't get one soon enough, etc.

This is a very cool, usable technology. Look through many threads here and you will find people arguing about screens being too big or too small in Apple iDevices. The thread "Which iPad should I buy- mini or maxi?" has been started about 1000 times now. Here's a technology that would make it possible to buy ONE device and have multiple screen sizes at your disposal. Fit in a pocket AND offer a big, expansive screen.

Look through other threads and you'll see a crowd whining looking for something genuinely new from Apple. "I'm tired of the same old iPhone design". "Where's the wow factor?" Etc. An iPhone 6 or 7 that could do some of that stuff shown in that syd430 video reference would definitely feed the "the new one has to be obviously different than the old one" crowd.

That video gives us a peek at a few of those kinds of possibilities. It's both cool and potentially very functional. Samsung innovated something cool so we can't like it... until Apple puts it in something. Then, about 2 or 3 years later we'll "remember" it as an Apple innovation.

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:56 AM   #11
Iamthinking
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Samsung ad says....

According to the advert for this screen tech (shown at the Samsung keynote), the main use for this screen is to pick up girls at the coffee shop!
Iamthinking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:47 AM   #12
Truefan31
macrumors 65816
 
Truefan31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
it's this innovation from Samsung that has many rethinking their choices between Apple and its competition. I love apple products, but man the stuff coming from others like Samsung is just flat out cool. Whether it's functional for everyone isn't the issue, but the fact that there are options for everyone makes it appealing. Pushing the envelope has to be commended, something Apple needs to do.

I can appreciate cool things, just because it isn't apple doesn't mean it's not good.
Truefan31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:48 AM   #13
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040
 
spinedoc77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
For those not seeing the application you guys are completely nuts, especially with all the debates about larger screens. To be able to roll up, and hopefully in the near future fold up your screen to be bigger or smaller is freaking huge. I'm sure the tech isn't there yet, maybe they don't roll up all the way, lower resolution, etc, but just that Samsung is working hard on it is a testament to them pushing the limit.
__________________
What would the world be like if laptops were released with iOS?
spinedoc77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:10 PM   #14
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Given apple's proclivity to thinner designs this could be a great thing for apple, though I think Samsung may not be anxious to let them use it
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:19 PM   #15
lunaoso
macrumors 65816
 
lunaoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England, USA
The problem I see is you can't exactly bend a stick of RAM or a battery, so how do you expect to roll the whole device? Anyone that wants to implement this needs a solution for this first.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:38 PM   #16
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat park View Post
What is the real world application of a flexible screen? How would I incorporate that into my daily life and what advantages would it have?

Just not seeing the need for one or how it helps.
You could fling it at a wall and it wouldn't break.

Dropped phones resulting in shattered screens would be a thing of the past.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:47 PM   #17
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
It is the future of smartphones and tablets. Unbreakable, bendable and foldable, the sooner the better.
daveathall is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:59 PM   #18
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
It is the future of smartphones and tablets. Unbreakable, bendable and foldable, the sooner the better.
Agreed!

A display that allows you to mould its' shape would be awesome. You wouldn't need a stand with it for desktop movie viewing and such because you could just bend it and place it on its' side.

Another idea that someone mentioned is that you could wrap your phone around your wrist.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:28 PM   #19
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040
 
spinedoc77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
The problem I see is you can't exactly bend a stick of RAM or a battery, so how do you expect to roll the whole device? Anyone that wants to implement this needs a solution for this first.
You can have the "guts" be cylindrical and have the screen wrap around that. But their already are flexible circuit boards and malleable batteries, although obviously we are not there yet but we are headed there. If everyone said it can't be done we would still be living in caves!
__________________
What would the world be like if laptops were released with iOS?
spinedoc77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:47 PM   #20
jamojamo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
You can have the "guts" be cylindrical and have the screen wrap around that. But their already are flexible circuit boards and malleable batteries, although obviously we are not there yet but we are headed there. If everyone said it can't be done we would still be living in caves!
And we'd still need Rooftop Solar Panels...
http://www.armedforces-int.com/suppliers/unatsolar.html

I am really looking forward to where these new screen technologies will take us.
jamojamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:49 PM   #21
lunaoso
macrumors 65816
 
lunaoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
You can have the "guts" be cylindrical and have the screen wrap around that. But their already are flexible circuit boards and malleable batteries, although obviously we are not there yet but we are headed there. If everyone said it can't be done we would still be living in caves!
Of course! That's my mindset too. But I think it'll take some time to actually get some real world use for this.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:56 PM   #22
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020
 
charlieegan3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.K
I liked how an edge of the screen was used to show notifications even when a cover was on. This is a genuine use for it, much better than a coloured flashing light.

What interests me is can they produce curved glass surfaces to protect it?
__________________
www.charlieegan3.com
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:41 PM   #23
Bag302
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
The problem I see is you can't exactly bend a stick of RAM or a battery, so how do you expect to roll the whole device? Anyone that wants to implement this needs a solution for this first.
How about this? The guts of the device are in a small cell phone shaped box in your pocket or backpack, connected wirelessly to the super thin, flexible screen.

Unroll the screen and place it on the desk for a super portable CPU/tablet. Or unfold it from 4" to 10" when needed.Use it like an iphone or ipad
Bag302 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:53 PM   #24
lunaoso
macrumors 65816
 
lunaoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bag302 View Post
How about this? The guts of the device are in a small cell phone shaped box in your pocket or backpack, connected wirelessly to the super thin, flexible screen.

Unroll the screen and place it on the desk for a super portable CPU/tablet. Or unfold it from 4" to 10" when needed.Use it like an iphone or ipad
I was actually thinking of something similar, but then you need to carry around 2 things. I think eventually we will see bendable computer parts.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:17 PM   #25
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040
 
spinedoc77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
I was actually thinking of something similar, but then you need to carry around 2 things. I think eventually we will see bendable Mmcomputer parts.
I wouldn't mind carrying 2 things if that meant my screen was a wirelessly connected rollable\foldable screen. Ideally the cell phone part would be very small and probably attach to your keychain, not unlike one of those mobile hotspots. Wow that would be pretty sick to just whip out a screen, although there still needs to be a battery.
__________________
What would the world be like if laptops were released with iOS?
spinedoc77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YOUM flexible displays from Samsung. itsmeorthedog Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 3 Feb 21, 2014 02:27 PM
Samsung Flexible Displays! I want this! jamezr Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 2 May 23, 2013 09:52 PM
Samsung flexible displays coming in 2013? kdarling Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 12 Nov 27, 2012 01:40 PM
phones: Rumored Samsung Galaxy S4 Features 5" 1080p Display, To Be Shown at CES? gto55 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 69 Nov 25, 2012 12:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC