Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:44 AM   #1
SezR
macrumors newbie

Frustrated with my iPhone 5!

I must have a rogue model iphone5! I have had it about 2 mths now & HATE it! It will not stay connected to my wifi, & when it is connected it wont work. its not my wifi as my husband (who also has a iphone 5) is sat next to me & his wifi works.

It's updated with version 6.0.2. The touch screen is temperamental. Now it is resetting my Facebook settings to custom, so I can't connect to friends either. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the app too. On my laptop it's showing as the correct settings, but is changing it on my iPhone!!

What can I do plz?!?

Thanks in advance
SezR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:47 AM   #2
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Try restoring it and reinstalling all your apps. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with yours.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:53 AM   #3
SezR
macrumors newbie

I've reset all settings several times. I honestly don't know what else to do!! I use FB to connect to family in Australia & Ireland & now I can't

----------

Do you mean restore back to factory settings? Will this need me to transfer all my photos etc?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:57 AM   #4
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SezR View Post
I've reset all settings several times. I honestly don't know what else to do!! I use FB to connect to family in Australia & Ireland & now I can't

----------

Do you mean restore back to factory settings? Will this need me to transfer all my photos etc?
Restore is different from Reset. You will need to back up and resync.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

if troubleshooting doesn't fix it.

Do a backup of ur phone (NEVER RESTORE UNTIL YOU BACKUP)
Restore to Factory setting
Restore from Backup

if those don't work... then you have a defective iPhone 5 and call apple support and schedule a replacement phone.

DONE
Appl3FTW is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:12 AM   #6
philosopherdog
macrumors 6502

Make a genius appointment. Make it Apple's problem.
philosopherdog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:21 AM   #7
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Calm down, call Apple it make an appointment at a store. If you have a defective device they'll take care of it.
BHP41 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:31 AM   #8
SezR
macrumors newbie

Thanks very much folks! Will see what happens
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:39 AM   #9
blueroom
macrumors 603

Last resort do a DFU restore.

Also what model of WiFi router do you have?
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Gymgenius
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
Calm down, call Apple it make an appointment at a store. If you have a defective device they'll take care of it.
^^^ This
Gymgenius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:45 AM   #11
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

I had this same problem when I first got my 5.
I know it sucks to have to spend money again, but after many trips to Genius bar I bought a new router as a last hope.
I picked up the Apple Airport Express for $78 at BestBuy and
have not had a problem yet. Im guessing your phone is up to date as far as
firmware?

If you have the money to spend its def worth it. Its also a decent router.
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:49 AM   #12
cuzo
macrumors 6502

My iphone 5 still tells the wrong time at times and then it fixes itself, is there a fix to this or do I have to go down to apple?
cuzo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

^^^ do "set automatically"

if u keep getting problems reset... then restore last resort
Appl3FTW is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:18 AM   #14
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

Have you tried resetting the network settings?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:19 AM   #15
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
I had this same problem when I first got my 5.
I know it sucks to have to spend money again, but after many trips to Genius bar I bought a new router as a last hope.
I picked up the Apple Airport Express for $78 at BestBuy and
have not had a problem yet. Im guessing your phone is up to date as far as
firmware?

If you have the money to spend its def worth it. Its also a decent router.
OP needs to see if the problem is isolated at home, i.e. wifi works at starbucks, mcdonalds etc.

if that's the case then it's probably his home router.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:44 AM   #16
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appl3FTW View Post
OP needs to see if the problem is isolated at home, i.e. wifi works at starbucks, mcdonalds etc.

if that's the case then it's probably his home router.
This is my experience, and what resolved my issue. I have read of this problem countless times, and it seems that the iPhone 5 does not like some older routers. Many posts in other forums were people updated the router and all was fine. Sometimes not. Its a suggestion, not an end all solution.
As for Genius Bar, These people amaze me with the standard " did you restore your phone? You backup may be corrupt" blah blah blah. Im not sure what it takes to be a Genius Tech, but it seems to me they shine most costumers on with this same rhetoric.
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
This is my experience, and what resolved my issue. I have read of this problem countless times, and it seems that the iPhone 5 does not like some older routers. Many posts in other forums were people updated the router and all was fine. Sometimes not. Its a suggestion, not an end all solution.
As for Genius Bar, These people amaze me with the standard " did you restore your phone? You backup may be corrupt" blah blah blah. Im not sure what it takes to be a Genius Tech, but it seems to me they shine most costumers on with this same rhetoric.
i had a problem connecting to apple store doing a purchase one day and the apple technician told me to RESTORE. OMG, stupid ass.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:59 AM   #18
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

How long have you had it? I know with Verizon you have 30 days after you purchase a new phone to return/exchange it if it isn't working correctly...
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
How long have you had it? I know with Verizon you have 30 days after you purchase a new phone to return/exchange it if it isn't working correctly...
Quote:
I must have a rogue model iphone5! I have had it about 2 mths now & HATE it! It will not stay connected to my wifi, & when it is connected it wont work. its not my wifi as my husband (who also has a iphone 5) is sat next to me & his wifi works.

It's updated with version 6.0.2. The touch screen is temperamental. Now it is resetting my Facebook settings to custom, so I can't connect to friends either. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the app too. On my laptop it's showing as the correct settings, but is changing it on my iPhone!!

What can I do plz?!?

Thanks in advance
this...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:59 AM   #20
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Dang it! :/
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:20 PM   #21
powerwagon
macrumors member

Quote:
Did you guys not read her original post? She very clearly stated that her husband also has an iPhone 5 and has 0 issues connecting and staying connected to their router. Doesn't appear to be a router issue. Sounds hardware related and Apple should be able to take care of you just fine. Good luck
powerwagon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:21 PM   #22
adam044
macrumors 65816

Quote:

What can I do plz?!?

Thanks in advance
Go get a new one!
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Bahroo
macrumors 65816

Quote:

What can I do plz?!?

Thanks in advance
Do a hard reset, hold top button and home button until your phone turns off

If that doesnt work go to settings and go to general. Then go to reset and reset all network settings...that should fix your wifi

If THESE dont work, then you should do a restore . I have a iphone 5 and i have no problems with my phone at all.
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:34 PM   #24
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This.

Sometimes, as in not always, my iP5 and Netgear DGN2200 would not play nice together - internet would become unresponsive.

I replaced the wireless router portion of it with an Airport Express and have been problem free.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:52 PM   #25
Bahroo
macrumors 65816

I have a verizon fios router it works just fine
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone