Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:07 AM   #1
iampaulb
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London
Send a message via Skype™ to iampaulb
iPad Mini to buy or not to buy

I have been thinking about getting an iPad Mini for a while now, as I am looking to replace my 1st Gen iPad which is getting very slow and is rather heavy by todays standards.

With reviews like this one http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1527495

I am even more tempted. But from peoples opinions is it worth waiting for a Retina display one? Or because its a smaller screen it doesnt really warrant such luxury? As i wont be using it for gaming, it will be a surfing, emailing and magazine device.

So from anyone who has one should i get it or should i wait?
iampaulb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:39 AM   #2
Stewart21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Yorkshire
Get one now. It will probably be a long wait for a retina display if it ever comes to the iPad Mini. My wife and I have had ours for about four weeks and there are no issues with the display. We use it ever day for surfing, reading, e-mail, casual gaming.
__________________
20" iMac 2007 2GHZ C2D 4GB RAM 250GB & 2011 13' MBA 1.7GHz i5 4GB 128SSD. Both OSX Mavericks. iPad Mini 32GB WiFi Black/Slate. ATV3.
Stewart21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:41 AM   #3
bagelmaker
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I have had my mini since launch day and I love it. I would say go for it. I'm sure they will come out with a retina version sooner or later, but the enjoyment I've gotten from this device in the last few months makes me sure that I won't wish I'd waited for the newer version comes out. If you have an ipad 1 now I'm sure you will be blown away by the awesomeness of the ipad mini.
bagelmaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:41 AM   #4
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I dont have one. I have Ipad 2.

But are you really going to base your decision on to buy or not to buy from a review in this forum??? Its macrumors so 80% will praise Ipad mini.

Better judge your decision on other review around the web. My personal opinion, u dont play games so Ipad mini is no advantages over others like Nexus 7 or Kindle HD. Surfing, email, magazine will be better on high resolution screen, Mini is an Ipad 2 smaller screen.

U dont need to spend extra for somthing u dont need. Think about it.
racoonboy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:10 AM   #5
Badrottie
macrumors 68020
 
Badrottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California
I don't have a mini but you say you enjoy reading magazine then just wait for mini with retina display because it looks great.
__________________
That is OK to make fun of my poor english grammars just because you are bullying deaf people.
Badrottie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:20 AM   #6
iampaulb
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London
Send a message via Skype™ to iampaulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
I dont have one. I have Ipad 2.

But are you really going to base your decision on to buy or not to buy from a review in this forum??? Its macrumors so 80% will praise Ipad mini.

Better judge your decision on other review around the web. My personal opinion, u dont play games so Ipad mini is no advantages over others like Nexus 7 or Kindle HD. Surfing, email, magazine will be better on high resolution screen, Mini is an Ipad 2 smaller screen.

U dont need to spend extra for somthing u dont need. Think about it.
I wouldnt be on a mac forum if i was looking to buy a nexus 7 or Kindle ;-)
I have seen many reviews on youtube which say the mini is amazing...I just wanted personal opinions.

Im going to stick with Apple always because of my apps, magazine subscriptions books and what not.

Looks like ill be getting one pretty soon...
iampaulb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:56 AM   #7
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
I love my mini - its a great tablet. I have no regrets its more portable then the regular iPad. I'm happy with the display and performance
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:58 AM   #8
iampaulb
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London
Send a message via Skype™ to iampaulb
All these good reviews and feed back want me to go and buy one today!! ha
After some googling rumors are that the mini refresh will be announced in March, maybe its worth waiting?
iampaulb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:13 AM   #9
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampaulb View Post
So from anyone who has one should i get it or should i wait?
Wait until next fall when the third generation Mini should come out. Unless the rumors next fall indicate it's the Spring, 2014 model you want.
kodeman53 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:24 AM   #10
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampaulb View Post
After some googling rumors are that the mini refresh will be announced in March, maybe its worth waiting?
So far the rumores are just wild speculation. There's no real basis for those rumors and the mini just came out, another reason for apple not to release it in 2 more months.

Prior to the unveiling of the mini we got lots of rumors, some with pictures from suppliers and other news that apple is buying up 7" displays etc. None of those types of rumors are present and if apple were to release a new mini in March they'd need to be manufacturing the parts now
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:25 AM   #11
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
Wait until next fall when the third generation Mini should come out. Unless the rumors next fall indicate it's the Spring, 2014 model you want.
Honestly I think its the 7th generation that he really wants, not the 3rd. Should be out in spring of 2018, wait until then OP.
  2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:09 AM   #12
PDE
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
I made the switch from a generation 1 ipad to the 32 LTE ipad mini - I use it mainly for email, internet, VOIP, GPS/Navigation, reading ebooks (epub, pdfs, kindle) and all the other random things that apps enable. It's a great device and while people complain about the display, I think it's perfectly good for everyday usage. Of course, tiny text will be pixelated but you probably wouldn't want to read tiny but sharp text on a retina display either...at least not for very long. So, you'll have to double tap on the text you want to read or use the safari reader. Once the text is larger size, it looks excellent. I don't have any issue with using the mini for reading and actually find it really enjoyable.

If you don't need LTE, why not just get the cheapest mini around and enjoy it until something better comes along, when you can probably sell it for at least two-thirds of what you paid. In the meantime, look at it as renting the mini and calculate your per month rental based on what your estimated sale will give you. Say you buy it for $329 and sell it in a year for $209, you will have paid $10/month for the pleasure of using a great device. Would that be worth it for you?

As everyone always says, you can't futureproof technology. Within a few years the ipad mini will feel outdated, even if it can be used for much longer than that. Even my ipad 1 could have been used for another few years (and it will be with the new owner), but I wanted something better and faster...
PDE is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:32 AM   #13
iampaulb
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London
Send a message via Skype™ to iampaulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDE View Post
As everyone always says, you can't futureproof technology. Within a few years the ipad mini will feel outdated, even if it can be used for much longer than that. Even my ipad 1 could have been used for another few years (and it will be with the new owner), but I wanted something better and faster...
Same as me! I think what ill do is go through my 32gb wifi 1st Gen iPad tonight and see if i could cope with a 16gb mini. As i can always remove and add music / films etc, or sign up to spotify premium again
iampaulb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:16 AM   #14
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampaulb View Post
All these good reviews and feed back want me to go and buy one today!! ha
After some googling rumors are that the mini refresh will be announced in March, maybe its worth waiting?
All I can suggest is that you plkay the the iPad Mini in the store and decide how you feel about the display yourself.

I think it's decent. And in your case going from an iPad1 to a Mini should be an improvement anyway.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:55 AM   #15
mrgossett
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
So far the rumores are just wild speculation. There's no real basis for those rumors and the mini just came out, another reason for apple not to release it in 2 more months.

Prior to the unveiling of the mini we got lots of rumors, some with pictures from suppliers and other news that apple is buying up 7" displays etc. None of those types of rumors are present and if apple were to release a new mini in March they'd need to be manufacturing the parts now
This was exactly my reasoning for going ahead and ordering the Mini last week. If some hard evidence of a March update pops up soon, I've still got 14 days to return it.
mrgossett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:06 AM   #16
Piccio
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Go for it, I love my Mini.

I think that the Retina version is not going to be released soon (March upgrade would be dumb...), and anyway the screen is not bad at all. Only side by side or spoiled by previous Retina display devices you can notice differences and anyway is good enough.
Piccio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:28 AM   #17
zippster
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccio View Post
Go for it, I love my Mini.

I think that the Retina version is not going to be released soon (March upgrade would be dumb...), and anyway the screen is not bad at all. Only side by side or spoiled by previous Retina display devices you can notice differences and anyway is good enough.
^^^This... march is just around the corner and they cannot currently keep up with the demand for the current mini..

and there still showing 2 weeks shipping (uk) would they really be working on a new one to release this march??

rumours are just rumours and on this occasion i personally don't believe them..
__________________
2011 iMac 27" i7 3.4,16GB RAM,2GB vRAM
iPad 4 32GB & 64GB 3G(White)
iPad Mini Retina 32GB 3G(White)
Gold iPhone 5s 16GB,+ Everything Apple
zippster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:33 AM   #18
boobie12
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I think you should go for it..the mini is awesome device..sure the screen is lacking especially for someone who came from a 3..but you'll get used to it. I did. Also gaming in this device is awesome. Download nfsmw and wow
boobie12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:21 PM   #19
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Try it out at an Apple store or Best Buy. May not be a quick love or hate thing but unless you give it a shot, ...
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:26 PM   #20
mrgossett
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Try it out at an Apple store or Best Buy. May not be a quick love or hate thing but unless you give it a shot, ...
I absolutely would have done that before ordering, except that I live in the boonies and am not close to either an Apple store or a Best Buy. I have looked several times at one in a display case at WalMart. It was running a demo, and the display looked perfectly readable and usable, if not quite as sharp as a retina display.
mrgossett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:39 PM   #21
richardmu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampaulb View Post
I have been thinking about getting an iPad Mini for a while now, as I am looking to replace my 1st Gen iPad which is getting very slow and is rather heavy by todays standards.

With reviews like this one http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1527495

I am even more tempted. But from peoples opinions is it worth waiting for a Retina display one? Or because its a smaller screen it doesnt really warrant such luxury? As i wont be using it for gaming, it will be a surfing, emailing and magazine device.

So from anyone who has one should i get it or should i wait?
Tried a mini and returned it. I recommend you get a Kindle Fire HD as I did at about half the price. Great fun small tablet and it will keep you going until the next gen iPad mini. In other words WAIT.
richardmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:55 PM   #22
rbrian
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
If you're coming from an iPad 1, the display will seem better. It has the same number of pixels, but they're squeezed onto a smaller display, so the pixel density is higher, so it'll look sharper. Not as sharp as a Retina display, of course.

I love the size of the mini, and the feel of it in my hand, but I can't get over the display. I will never again buy something without a Retina display, but plenty of people can't tell the difference. Only you know if that's important to you.

I think if you've kept your iPad 1 for this long, you can wait a few more weeks to see what (if anything) is announced in March.
__________________
2011 11" Air i5 1.6/4/128; 2011 Mac mini; iPad mini retina 128GB; iPhone 5s 64GB; Apple TV3
rbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:30 PM   #23
Candlelight
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Zealand
Get a mini. The standard iPads are huge and weigh a ton.
Candlelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:31 PM   #24
jstnlzr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ohio
buy a mini, or get over it.... lol
jstnlzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:35 PM   #25
jrswizzle
macrumors 68040
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Going to echo a lot of the other sentiment - love my mini.

The display is great - anyone who says text is "unreadable" either can't read or has extremely poor eyesight (or they just wanna b**ch and moan).

I use mine for gaming, browsing and reading - comic books included which, despite the smaller type (I could zoom in but choose not to) look great as well.

Really great device - I look forward to upgrading to the retina version if and when it is released! But for now, I'll continue to enjoy my first gen iPad mini!
__________________
Apple: iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S
Android: Motorola Moto G
Windows: Nokia Lumia 520
Tablet: iPad mini retina, iPad Air
jrswizzle is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC