Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1
diegobgr
macrumors 6502

Restoring iPhone from iCloud

Hi!

I received my new iPhone 5 and I want to recover my iCloud backup.

Is there any way to choose what apps I want to install? By default, it installs everything that I had on my iPhone 4.

I think that the only way to avoid this is deleting apps while it's restoring and haven't started to download them. Right?

Thank you!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobgr View Post
Hi!

I received my new iPhone 5 and I want to recover my iCloud backup.

Is there any way to choose what apps I want to install? By default, it installs everything that I had on my iPhone 4.

I think that the only way to avoid this is deleting apps while it's restoring and haven't started to download them. Right?

Thank you!
Yep that is the only way. You can't pre-select anything, so the way you've suggested is the best way I know to go about doing this. That, or wait till it's all done then delete.
Tyler23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:26 AM   #3
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

You are correct.

As a side note, here is a tip I found last time I restored from the cloud.

Double tap any app and it will install it straight away.

Real handy if you quickly want Facebook and Twitter to be installed first
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:46 PM   #4
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

I didn't know icloud allows you to restore apps. What about settings and the application data? Reason why I'm asking is because My PC broke permanently and I'm without a personal computer until I'm able to set aside monies to buy me a replacement. If my iPhone brakes, I'll be SOL unless icloud can save the day.
I'm pretty much using my iPhone on a daily basis for everything, playing the bills, storing all my passwords (password plus), I hold all my contacts on my iPhone also and I'm so afraid if something happens I'll loose a lot of important data. (I have google contacts too as a backup).

I was able to salvage my hard drive from my broken PC.

Last edited by chestvrg; Jan 21, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
chestvrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:13 PM   #5
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
I didn't know icloud allows you to restore apps.
It doesn't. iCloud stores a list of the apps that you have on your phone as a reference. When you restore, your phone downloads all the apps that are in that list. That's different that backing up all the apps on the phone.

iCloud does store your app settings and app data, provided the app is capable of using iCloud or that you have not removed it from the list to back up.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Adutrumque
Banned

iCloud tends to be very strange when backing up saved data on your games and such. Sometimes it'll ignore my game data but that's just occasional.

Gamecenter should save gamedata. It's very strange that it's not doing that already.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone