Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmoney82

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012

I don't think it's fear. I think they are sending a message saying that they are going to be something to recon with in the corperate world.

Cody3133

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2012
I love reading the comments on yahoo, 9 out of 10 are stupid and put 0 thought in it.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I know everyone likes rooting for the underdog but RIM only have themselves to blame for their current situation and struggles.

Samsung marketing towards business users is smart move.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
I say pile on. RIM and their partisans brought this on themselves with years of trying to characterize other platforms as "toys" next to their "professional" phone. No doubt in my mind BB10 will be a disaster, like the Playbook.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
You call it trashing. I call it going toe to toe with the competition.
They wanted to go after high end smartphone buyers, so their ads showed them going up against the iPhone. iPhone has been the top dog for many years.
They want to go after enterprise now, so who should they compare themselves against in these ads? BB of course.
Why are people so taken back with this strategy in ads? :confused:

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
You call it trashing. I call it going toe to toe with the competition.
They wanted to go after high end smartphone buyers, so their ads showed them going up against the iPhone. iPhone has been the top dog for many years.
They want to go after enterprise now, so who should they compare themselves against in these ads? BB of course.
Why are people so taken back with this strategy in ads? :confused:

Exactly. RIM wants to play with the big boys, but then starts crying when they get called out on the quality of their products and services.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
Ok I just finally watched the video, and it is an EXACT, spot on portrayal of Blackberry die-hards, thinking only they have the "business" phone and other, more feature rich devices are "toys." Not a Samsung fan, but great job showing how lost some BB people are.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
If bashing other companies out of the market gets ones share holders bigger dividends and ensures one's company sells more phones then thats good business. Cold hearted, but true.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I'm generally unimpressed by Samsung's ads.

I don't really like the strategy where they make fun of the people they are trying to get to use their products.

Also, I feel like their ads are generally a bit smug. I thought Apple users were supposed to be the smug ones? Or are they just pretentious now?

Just for reference: I don't really like Apple's ads for the most part either.. but that's for entirely different reasons.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
These commercials are brilliant, witty and clever

could not agree more. It is less a shot a blackberry and more a shot at people still doing things the archaic way if that makes sense. The lady with a business phone and personal phone....why not just have 1. Their commercials really are solid, and one of the only commercials I actually watch when it comes on tv.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I'm just surprised people care about Android devices. The underlying software still leaves me seriously underwhelmed.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm just surprised people care about Android devices. The underlying software still leaves me seriously underwhelmed.

At this point, is any software really exciting? Within about 10 minutes any platform can be mastered.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010

I don't really like the strategy where they make fun of the people they are trying to get to use their products.

Also, I feel like their ads are generally a bit smug. I thought Apple users were supposed to be the smug ones? Or are they just pretentious now?

Just for reference: I don't really like Apple's ads for the most part either.. but that's for entirely different reasons.

Apple's ads for the iphone 5 are just pathetic now "oh look at this microphone you can hear the call better. OH LOOK! Do not disturb!! We are so innovative!!"

most pathetic commercials i ever seen.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska

That's the hilarious part about rabid Android fans... They have become exactly what they love to bash the Apple faithful for - pompous, smug individuals who are convinced that Android is better than any other OS. If you're dumb enough to use an iDevice or a BlackBerry, you're clearly incompetent, tech-ignorant, and NOT cool. Samsung's ads simply put to words what Android fans already think.

I agree with panda, insulting the people you're trying to win over is only going to work on people worried about what others think of them. For someone like me, who doesn't care about such things, it's pretty off-putting and I'll look elsewhere if I am going to consider an Android or WP8 device.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
That's the hilarious part about rabid Android fans... They have become exactly what they love to bash the Apple faithful for - pompous, smug individuals who are convinced that Android is better than any other OS. If you're dumb enough to use an iDevice or a BlackBerry, you're clearly incompetent, tech-ignorant, and NOT cool. Samsung's ads simply put to words what Android fans already think.

I agree with panda, insulting the people you're trying to win over is only going to work on people worried about what others think of them. For someone like me, who doesn't care about such things, it's pretty off-putting and I'll look elsewhere if I am going to consider an Android or WP8 device.

Guess you're more of an HTC type of person..

15492_HTC_Slogan.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.