Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
could not agree more. It is less a shot a blackberry and more a shot at people still doing things the archaic way if that makes sense. The lady with a business phone and personal phone....why not just have 1. Their commercials really are solid, and one of the only commercials I actually watch when it comes on tv.

The reason I have a separate work and personal phone is that while I'm at work, I do not want to be disturbed by personal calls and messages. When I'm not at work such as on vacation (and not on call) I do not want to be disturbed by work calls from people who may not be aware I am not working that day. I just like keeping my work and personal life separate.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Apple's ads for the iphone 5 are just pathetic now "oh look at this microphone you can hear the call better. OH LOOK! Do not disturb!! We are so innovative!!"

most pathetic commercials i ever seen.

I don't much like Apple's more recent adds, some of the Siri ones have been interesting at least. But they're short, to the point and the spotlight is on iPhone 5.

Samsung's adds are way too long. And this one was particularly awkward because of the focus. It might've also been because it aired (for me) during the football game.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
could not agree more. It is less a shot a blackberry and more a shot at people still doing things the archaic way if that makes sense. The lady with a business phone and personal phone....why not just have 1. Their commercials really are solid, and one of the only commercials I actually watch when it comes on tv.

I can honestly think of several reason to have a personal and a business cell phone. Now not for what the lady was doing but more to separated out the 2 lines and keep personal stuff out of company property.

Like why should I have 2 computers when work provides me with a good laptop that I am given pretty free rein on what I can install on it? That should explain the answer to 2 cell phones pretty easily. And yes I do have a personal and a work laptop.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Apple's ads for the iphone 5 are just pathetic now "oh look at this microphone you can hear the call better. OH LOOK! Do not disturb!! We are so innovative!!"

most pathetic commercials i ever seen.

At least not as pathetic as Samsung bullying on competitors.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
At least not as pathetic as Samsung bullying on competitors.

mac-vs-pc-picture1.png

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska

You do realize that some corporations do not allow you to BYOD due to security, right? If your company gives you a Blackberry for email/phone/etc, that's what you get. Period. If you want an iPhone and/or you want access to your personal accounts, you get to carry two phones.

That is what's foolish about these commercials... Samsung wants to spin it like the old lady has no idea what she's doing, and has some arcane "system" because she doesn't GET current technology. In reality, most people carry two phones because that's their only option. Even if THEY realize that the GS3 is secure, their IT department may not. If I was one of those people, I'd be pretty insulted by Samsung's implications that I'm clueless.

This is also an area where RIM has a chance to shine - this new profiles option is going to be amazing for people who have to juggle devices for home/work. If BB10 is a winner, they can ditch a phone, still get their personal data, and make corporate IT happy all at the same time.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Exactly. Apple vs Microsoft. Look who's doing the "bullying" here..

You were clearly calling out a company in your last post and not an OS.

Back then everyone knew Apple and Microsoft were big rivals.
But look at Samsung. They are done picking on Apple and just moving onto RIM.
Clearly they don't who their competitors are...just bullying.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
Back then everyone knew Apple and Microsoft were big rivals.
But look at Samsung. They are done picking on Apple and just moving onto RIM.
Clearly they don't who their competitors are...just bullying.

Oh they don't know who their competitors are? Are you really that clueless? They went after Apple in their other ads because they were going after the smartphone customer. Now their going after the enterprise clients. So who should you be going after in your ad? I'll give you a hint, the initials are BB.
Check your hate for Samsung at the login page next time and you won't look so uninformed.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

Bc most companies that don't wear jeans to work everyday have policies of having personal information on your work phone. My wife has 2 iPhones not bc she wants to.

Also I don't find the commercials that clever, bc it's rare to see android in the business world. All I see are iPhones and iPads everywhere.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
How are these commercials any different than apples "I'm a Mac" campaign? Oh, that's right. They're not. As usual, it's ok if apple does it but not anyone else.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I find amazing how much people care about these "issues" :eek: they are just having fun, if RIM is smart they pull the same kind of add with BB 10 ! it have worked very good for samsung.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You do realize that some corporations do not allow you to BYOD due to security, right? If your company gives you a Blackberry for email/phone/etc, that's what you get. Period. If you want an iPhone and/or you want access to your personal accounts, you get to carry two phones.

That is what's foolish about these commercials... Samsung wants to spin it like the old lady has no idea what she's doing, and has some arcane "system" because she doesn't GET current technology. In reality, most people carry two phones because that's their only option. Even if THEY realize that the GS3 is secure, their IT department may not. If I was one of those people, I'd be pretty insulted by Samsung's implications that I'm clueless.

This is also an area where RIM has a chance to shine - this new profiles option is going to be amazing for people who have to juggle devices for home/work. If BB10 is a winner, they can ditch a phone, still get their personal data, and make corporate IT happy all at the same time.

The commercials are doing exactly what they are meant to then....make people think it is b.c they are clueless not b.c their work is forcing a certain phone on them.

Bc most companies that don't wear jeans to work everyday have policies of having personal information on your work phone. My wife has 2 iPhones not bc she wants to.

Also I don't find the commercials that clever, bc it's rare to see android in the business world. All I see are iPhones and iPads everywhere.

I don't wear jeans to work and use whatever phone I want :p

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I'm not sure what makes me laugh more about that commercial....

1.) That they are trying to appeal to the corporate world by showing a bunch of folks using their phones to pretty much just goof off at work.

2.) That they are comparing a GS3 or GN2 to a 2 year old Blackberry.

3.) That they are sticking out their chest talking about security on a phone running Android.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
The commercials are doing exactly what they are meant to then....make people think it is b.c they are clueless not b.c their work is forcing a certain phone on them.

I don't wear jeans to work and use whatever phone I want :p

then obviously you don't have a work issued phone...probably BYOD?

the commercial makes it look like people have a choice on what work phone to use and that they can just combine their personal with it. My wife has TWO iphones bc her work will not allow her to put any personal information on her work phone. She is also not allowed to use her personal phone as her work phone. The work phone must have it's own number dedicated only to that phone in case someone leaves and gets replaced....the number stays with the company etc. The commercial makes it look like people with 2 phones are complete idiots when that is not the case.

I can't even think of a time when in a business meeting or anything that someone whips out a BUSINESS use samsung phone. It's all iPhone or iPad.

----------

I'm not sure what makes me laugh more about that commercial....

1.) That they are trying to appeal to the corporate world by showing a bunch of folks using their phones to pretty much just goof off at work.

2.) That they are comparing a GS3 or GN2 to a 2 year old Blackberry.

3.) That they are sticking out their chest talking about security on a phone running Android.
i know! and people are saying this is a clever commercial? lol

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I find amazing how much people care about these "issues" :eek: they are just having fun, if RIM is smart they pull the same kind of add with BB 10 ! it have worked very good for samsung.

Exactly, Android has plenty of downsides which can be exposed in a commercial by a competitor if they wanted to. Apple went in a different direction after picking on Windows for a while and decided to make commercials highlighting their product's features...... BB can easily come back here if they wanted to, but if they don't then I dont see why folks get so upset, its all entertainment to us consumers.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm just surprised people care about Android devices. The underlying software still leaves me seriously underwhelmed.

I had to laugh a little bit at this. The original link posted by the OP video does not show on my iPhone. I had to web search it. Then I had to use my Android tablet to verify I was looking at the right video. Underwhelming technology, at least it works....

Video where are youuuu??

4upe3usu.jpg

Ahh there it is...

ryga4yha.jpg

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I had to laugh a little bit at this. The original link posted by the OP video does not show on my iPhone. I had to web search it. Then I had to use my Android tablet to verify I was looking at the right video. Underwhelming technology, at least it works....

Video where are youuuu??

Ahh there it is...

You realize you're comparing the mobile version of the site on your phone to the full version of the site on your tablet, right?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You realize you're comparing the mobile version of the site on your phone to the full version of the site on your tablet, right?

How do I get a desktop version of a browser to pop up when I click that link? I can't, on multiple levels (only safari will open and there's no desktop mode). Which obviously (or so I thought) was my point.

I also hate to point out Chrome in mobile mode displays the video fine on Android. That's besides the point though.

----------

[/COLOR]
"Details, Schmeetails. Just believe what we're telling you!" -Samsung

Try to keep up....

And btw what does Samsung have to do with my iPhone not displaying a link properly? As an iPhone user its diehards like you that give us a bad name IMO.

Last edited:

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Oh they don't know who their competitors are? Are you really that clueless? They went after Apple in their other ads because they were going after the smartphone customer. Now their going after the enterprise clients. So who should you be going after in your ad? I'll give you a hint, the initials are BB.
Check your hate for Samsung at the login page next time and you won't look so uninformed.

RIM has been out of most enterprise market for many companies already.

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
You clearly are clueless. Samsung just going one phone makers after another. Is Microsoft next? Does this sound like they know who their competitors are? Samsung is just scared of competitors and picking on everyone on their way, clearly they don't know. RIM has been out of most enterprise market for years.
Seriously? Wow.

Samsung has successfully gone after Apple and are on a roll right now. They see BB in the wings getting ready for a comeback and this ad was a preemptive attack to help prevent that. The last thing they want is "wholly crap we never saw THAT coming!" BB is starting to get (positive) attention now. Samsung apparently wants that to be negative attention.

Now, personally, I think they have given BB unneeded exposure. But I am sure they have thought this through more than I have. Certainly more than you have.

Michael

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I've never been a fan of Samsung - but that ad is pretty funny.

I am one of those who has two phones - one work provided and one personal. While I could probably get those consolidated, I'm planning on using the two phone line opportunity to try out Android while I hold on to my iP5.

I was sold on the Nexus 4, but recently (after finding out it is comparably priced on eBay) I've been looking into the GS3. The only thing holding me back is the lack of consistent updates - though I don't foresee having the phone for a long time, I still get queasy about a new software update being available and not being able to get it.....

Other than that, the form factor (ergonomics), flip cover (wish Apple made one for the iPhone - a mini smart cover) and added features of touchwiz (I don't plan on rooting or flashing custom roms) make me consider the GS3 more heavily than I would have.

Plus, if I get it - use it - and hate it, I'll have my experience to back up my Samsung bashing :D :p ;)

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
If bashing other companies out of the market gets ones share holders bigger dividends and ensures one's company sells more phones then thats good business. Cold hearted, but true.

Disagreed. Bashing a company shouldn't get you higher dividends. You can pretty much claim anything with the right wording. Good business is having good competitive edge, ad bashing ain't one of them. Nor is getting bigger dividends for shareholders either...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.