Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Pentad
macrumors 6502a
 
Pentad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana
MBPr LG IR Info from Apple

I just wanted to pass this along some information from Apple today:

I called Apple Support about a colleague's MBPr with an LG screen and IR. He was concerned about the IR getting worse and wanted accurate information from Apple. Apple's support was great (as always) and our support person gave me some interesting information:

1. IR is expected but beyond 10 seconds is considered 'bad'.

2. All new MBPr are shipping with Samsung screens (as soon as the LG stock is gone).

3. You can take your MBPr to an Apple Store or an authorized repair shop to test if you have a bad display, however, Apple is now pushing for the work to be done at Apple. Many of the repairs done at the Apple Store or ARS are coming back with other issues.

Why?

She stated that Apple has determined the best course for replacement is a clean room environment because these other environments can cause issues with the Flash Storage(SSD)/Memory/Logic Board.

I was surprised about this because I knew that some Apple Stores were repairing them but she was adamant that Apple is now using clean room environments to reduce issues caused by swapping the display.

I didn't not give that much thought but I guess a clean room would be the best way to go here. The last thing anybody needs is contaminates shortening the life of the SSD/Memory/LB.

4. Repairs are carried out in 3 to 5 days.


5. I told her I was skeptical of getting it replaced but she said this three times: "if it was me *I* would have it done so it does not get worse".

Which leads me to believe that they must think it will get worse.

Being without the machine for 3 to 5 days is a real bummer when you depend on it for your classes/teaching.


Just wanted to pass along my phone conversation and information,

-P
__________________
2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina * 2.6 Ghz QCore * 16 GB RAM * 1 TB SSD; OS X 10.10; Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit via Boot Camp ;
Pentad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:29 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
It may be worth grabbing either an older Mac (if you cannot be without one) or some cheap windows laptop for backup in cases like these. When dependent on something so much having a backup seems perfectly logical to me.

That being said, I would do the repair if I were you. If IR is as bad as the people on this site say, I would do the repair if Apple has somewhat acknowledged the problem.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:43 AM   #3
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Interesting news if your source is correct. I'm sure for commercial reasons Apple would love to switch to LG, Sharp, and AU Optronics completely, but if the IR issues are as bad as they seem with LG, they may be stuck with Samsung for a while.

I have a 13" rMBP that was manufactured in October (I bought it in late December). There is no script yet to identify the manufacturer, but I have not noticed IR as of yet. This gives me a little more confidence in case an issue develops later on.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:46 AM   #4
deadcantdance
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentad View Post
2. All new MBPr are shipping with Samsung screens (as soon as the LG stock is gone).
If this is true, I'm happy about not having ordered a rMBP already.
deadcantdance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:50 PM   #5
iPersian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentad View Post
I just wanted to pass this along some information from Apple today:

I called Apple Support about a colleague's MBPr with an LG screen and IR. He was concerned about the IR getting worse and wanted accurate information from Apple. Apple's support was great (as always) and our support person gave me some interesting information:

1. IR is expected but beyond 10 seconds is considered 'bad'.

2. All new MBPr are shipping with Samsung screens (as soon as the LG stock is gone).

3. You can take your MBPr to an Apple Store or an authorized repair shop to test if you have a bad display, however, Apple is now pushing for the work to be done at Apple. Many of the repairs done at the Apple Store or ARS are coming back with other issues.

Why?

She stated that Apple has determined the best course for replacement is a clean room environment because these other environments can cause issues with the Flash Storage(SSD)/Memory/Logic Board.

I was surprised about this because I knew that some Apple Stores were repairing them but she was adamant that Apple is now using clean room environments to reduce issues caused by swapping the display.

I didn't not give that much thought but I guess a clean room would be the best way to go here. The last thing anybody needs is contaminates shortening the life of the SSD/Memory/LB.

4. Repairs are carried out in 3 to 5 days.


5. I told her I was skeptical of getting it replaced but she said this three times: "if it was me *I* would have it done so it does not get worse".

Which leads me to believe that they must think it will get worse.

Being without the machine for 3 to 5 days is a real bummer when you depend on it for your classes/teaching.


Just wanted to pass along my phone conversation and information,

-P
weve heard things like this before only to understand it has not been correct.
guess coming week and months will prove if this one is false or not. my hunch is that its false unfortunately and apple will just carry on.
iPersian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Hodge25
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
My MBPr has a samsung screen and I haven't experienced any ghosting. Disabled screen saver and had the same image on the screen for an hour and thankfully could not reproduce.
__________________
http://ascothoteldubai.net/
Hodge25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:11 PM   #7
vpro
macrumors 6502a
 
vpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentad View Post
Being without the machine for 3 to 5 days is a real bummer when you depend on it for your classes/teaching.


Just wanted to pass along my phone conversation and information,

-P
Maybe it is time to really consider depending on something else than faulty / full of hassle gadgets huh? When I was in university, I only carried around books and pencils.
__________________
Peace & Care lots!
vpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Newfiejudd
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpro View Post
Maybe it is time to really consider depending on something else than faulty / full of hassle gadgets huh? When I was in university, I only carried around books and pencils.
Sorry about your luck.. This is a new era, and society has moved on. No offence, but I can carry a 1000 books in one PC. So why would I even carry a book? Don't get me wrong from your statement I would assume we are of similar age, and with that said I can't, nor would I expect to work/learn in an environment where they would expect me to do things MANUALLY (pen and paper). It's progression and evolution. Either we stay current or fall behind, it's the way we live now as a society
__________________
rMBP With LG Screen IR after 3 months
Purchased just after launch
Newfiejudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:59 PM   #9
vpro
macrumors 6502a
 
vpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiejudd View Post
Sorry about your luck.. This is a new era, and society has moved on. No offence, but I can carry a 1000 books in one PC. So why would I even carry a book? Don't get me wrong from your statement I would assume we are of similar age, and with that said I can't, nor would I expect to work/learn in an environment where they would expect me to do things MANUALLY (pen and paper). It's progression and evolution. Either we stay current or fall behind, it's the way we live now as a society
Well, those who know they have options and choices will do as they please. I know there are options and I exercise my free will to choose and not be subject to just following the so called "stay current or fall behind". There is no such thing, there is always a balance and harmony in natural life. I love to have one or two books at a time, one or few albums to listen to when I go out. Just because there is technology out there to carry around a billion songs and volumes of music at a time doesn't mean do it means I am "with the times and moving ahead". There are great things still being produced and things being done with previous technology. Progress and evolution is great in natural life circumstances. Technology with regards to gadgets as discussed at lengths in this forum however have now become means to waste more, consume more and produce less relevant things. Therefore there is no progress only an illusion of it because you're buying more and doing more of the same things on them.
__________________
Peace & Care lots!
vpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Early 2013 MBPR vs Late 2013 MBPR top spec battery life LEOMODE MacBook Pro 5 Dec 6, 2013 08:51 PM
MBPR 13 time machine backup to MBPR 15 irock101 MacBook Pro 1 Oct 11, 2013 07:05 AM
2012 MBPr with 512Gb HD or Current MBPr with 256GB? Larrabee213 MacBook Pro 12 Apr 9, 2013 08:37 PM
Appauling service at Apple Telesales for MBPR Sahib90 MacBook Pro 38 Jun 28, 2012 08:47 AM
15 inch 2.6 ghz MBPR or 15 in 2.3 MBPR vjicecool MacBook Pro 10 Jun 23, 2012 03:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC