Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:01 PM   #1
jmpage2
macrumors 68030
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
What is my 2009 iMac worth and is now the time to sell it?

Hello everyone. I have a 27" 2012 iMac on order, but my 2009 is still performing well. I am considering the upgrade for new USB3 and Thunderbolt support, faster graphics, better cpu (I do a lot of video encoding), etc.

It seems like this might be a good time to "flip" my 2009 iMac as it is still under Apple Care protection.

Late 2009 27" iMac
i7 CPU
4850 Radeon graphics
16GB Ram
1TB hard drive
Apple Care until October 2013.

Value?

Should I sell this now while it has quite a bit of Apple Care left or should I wait for the next refresh?
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Hello everyone. I have a 27" 2012 iMac on order, but my 2009 is still performing well. I am considering the upgrade for new USB3 and Thunderbolt support, faster graphics, better cpu (I do a lot of video encoding), etc.

It seems like this might be a good time to "flip" my 2009 iMac as it is still under Apple Care protection.

Late 2009 27" iMac
i7 CPU
4850 Radeon graphics
16GB Ram
1TB hard drive
Apple Care until October 2013.

Value?

Should I sell this now while it has quite a bit of Apple Care left or should I wait for the next refresh?
How did you get AC to last until October 2013? Did you buy it in 2010 then or was it a refurb purchase even later?

And not only is that still a good performing machine, the specs are similar to the current base 2012 iMac. The major differences(as I'm sure you know) are the I/O changes and the loss of the ODD. If this machine is still good and you are able to buy a new Mac anyway, why not keep your current machine and just continue to save to possibly get a Mac Pro(if it is ever released again) or a super maxed-out iMac in the future?

However, you should be able to get(as long as everything is still in working order and original box/packaging/media is included) around $1300 for it. Everymac is quoting $1600-$1750 retail. Mac2Sell.net is quoting $1,160.

I know that if I could afford it, I would offer $1300 for it. That's an awesome machine.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:39 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
jmpage2
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
How did you get AC to last until October 2013? Did you buy it in 2010 then or was it a refurb purchase even later?

And not only is that still a good performing machine, the specs are similar to the current base 2012 iMac. The major differences(as I'm sure you know) are the I/O changes and the loss of the ODD. If this machine is still good and you are able to buy a new Mac anyway, why not keep your current machine and just continue to save to possibly get a Mac Pro(if it is ever released again) or a super maxed-out iMac in the future?

However, you should be able to get(as long as everything is still in working order and original box/packaging/media is included) around $1300 for it. Everymac is quoting $1600-$1750 retail. Mac2Sell.net is quoting $1,160.

I know that if I could afford it, I would offer $1300 for it. That's an awesome machine.
Good information. I actually caved in and bought the new top end 2012 model last night as my local Apple store had them in stock. You are right, it's not a huge upgrade as the 2009 machine was a monster at the time. However, the upgrades to the screen, etc, are worth it to me.

I will probably ask $1400 for the 2009 and if it doesn't go at that price, then I will consider going lower.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:18 PM   #5
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Good information. I actually caved in and bought the new top end 2012 model last night as my local Apple store had them in stock. You are right, it's not a huge upgrade as the 2009 machine was a monster at the time. However, the upgrades to the screen, etc, are worth it to me.

I will probably ask $1400 for the 2009 and if it doesn't go at that price, then I will consider going lower.
Well congratulations anyway! I'm sure that you'll still notice a speed boost from the more recent CPU and you're right about the screen being a good reason to upgrade and the fact that TB and usb 3.0 is now included would be more than good reasons to upgrade.

Good luck with the sale but I seriously doubt you'll have too much trouble selling it. Just be sure to include how much similar the specs are and how much better your price is. And be sure to include the fact that your machine can also be used as an external display. In fact I forgot about that tidbit, so you should try $1500+ since the newer Macs do not have that capability. I know many people that would love the 27" iMac as a display for a PS3 or XBOX.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:24 PM   #6
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816
 
phoenixsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I would say....

$950-1100 tops. The remaining AppleCare helps in the price, but also helps no cosmetic/functional issues and good care of the machine.

If you use Firewire tech so much, I will say hold on the sell, until Thunderbolt solutions that work for you and are affordable appears.

Dont forget to factor in shipping costs/fees


__________________
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
phoenixsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:26 PM   #7
jmpage2
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsan View Post
$950-1100 tops. The remaining AppleCare helps in the price, but also helps no cosmetic/functional issues and good care of the machine.

If you use Firewire tech so much, I will say hold on the sell, until Thunderbolt solutions that work for you and are affordable appears.

Dont forget to factor in shipping costs/fees


I have checked eBay auctions completed and looks like most 2009 i7 machines with the 4850 still sell for $1300 or more, so that seems like a very low price to me. Maybe if I had no apple care, no RAM upgrade and didn't have original box, etc, it would fetch as little as $950.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:27 PM   #8
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I have checked eBay auctions completed and looks like most 2009 i7 machines with the 4850 still sell for $1300 or more, so that seems like a very low price to me. Maybe if I had no apple care, no RAM upgrade and didn't have original box, etc, it would fetch as little as $950.
$1500, because of the included accessories and box, the type, and of course the fact that it can be used as a secondary display.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:54 PM   #9
jmpage2
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
To answer the earlier question, it was purchased in late 2010 when the refresh hit, brand new from MacMall. Not a refurb.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Drharrington
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
The price floor on all those 2009 iMacs 27 is no less than 900 because of the target display option. Too many people get way too caught up in the specs - they forget the display holds its value - basically a 27 Cinema Display. So 1300 - you getting the computer for 400 bucks. Great price. I'd say ~ 1500 range.
Drharrington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:51 PM   #11
lali
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Jmpage2. Please be sure to let us know how much an improvement it makes for your encodes

Some reading for you; and you can benchmark your machines as well. ,i really need to spend some time to add recent results to the main page
http://http://forums.macrumors.com/s...rk+time&page=5

Enjoy

----------

And yes I think now is the time to sell. If only for usb2
lali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:30 PM   #12
jmpage2
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Link doesn't seem to be working.

From what I can tell encodes are 30% faster at least. Another bonus is that when doing huge batch encodes that run for hours the Mac never gets that warm and the fans don't spool into over-drive as they did on the 2009.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:44 PM   #13
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Link doesn't seem to be working.
Fixed link: It's Benchmark Time for iMac owners ! *Updated with results*
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009/2010 iMac, Worth it or Not AlexxRyzhkov iMac 14 May 19, 2014 03:56 PM
How much is my iMac worth & where to sell Htin iMac 18 Sep 30, 2013 04:30 AM
Upgrading from a Mac Pro 2009 to 2012 iMac worth it? likkuid Buying Tips and Advice 13 Apr 13, 2013 10:08 AM
2009 iMac worth it? bobsaget123 iMac 24 Jan 20, 2013 10:57 PM
iMac 2009 to iMac 2012 - worth the upgrade? bulldoze iMac 12 Sep 6, 2012 10:00 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC