Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I was thinking before reading it if the head and not the tail burst out it'd be a Mutual of Omaha's Alien Kingdom episode....

That's truly nuts and kind of scary since there could be any number of *very* large pythons out there in the everglades. I wonder how long its going to be before someone gets hurt by one of these things.

D

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
I must be really confused, because when I read that title the first thing I thought was that Python (as in the language) tried to eat Gator (as in spyware company). It made no sense at all. "How is that even possible?".

Now that I've read the article, I still think "How is that even possible?". That's crazy! :eek:

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Apparently this is the silliest animal news all week - but then...

It is unknown how many pythons are competing with the thousands of alligators in the Everglades, but at least 150 have been captured in the past two years

:eek:

Well, at least they're not smart enough to make sure the food is dead before it eats. A very important lesson to learn if you wanna end at the top of the pyramid.:cool:

A

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Crazy.

That would be something if a python swallowed an alligator then eventually the alligator broke loose of the snakes body, then ended up eating the snake.....freaky :eek:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Interesting, i use to own a Reticulated Python, donated her to the Science Museum in St Pete about 20 yrs ago. If she's still alive she could eat that thing with no problem. :eek: Glad i dont have that anymore. Fact is Man has brought all kinds of Non Native specis in his travel all over this planet. Red Ants have to be at the top of my list.

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
Dont Hurt Me said:
Interesting, i use to own a Reticulated Python, donated her to the Science Museum in St Pete about 20 yrs ago. If she's still alive she could eat that thing with no problem. :eek: Glad i dont have that anymore. Fact is Man has brought all kinds of Non Native specis in his travel all over this planet. Red Ants have to be at the top of my list.

How big was it when you donated, they get up to about 30ft

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Interesting. 2 things that make me go "hmm" though about the article.

1. Why is a python as a "top down predator" significantly worse than a gator as a "top down predator"?

2. I don't think the gator "clawed" at anything as it was very dead before the python started to eat it. Maybe a claw snagged and ruptured the snakes stomach, but the gator was not alive & clawing inside the snake (which is what the article sounds like to me).

Lethal

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
LethalWolfe said:
Interesting. 2 things that make me go "hmm" though about the article.

1. Why is a python as a "top down predator" significantly worse than a gator as a "top down predator"?

2. I don't think the gator "clawed" at anything as it was very dead before the python started to eat it. Maybe a claw snagged and ruptured the snakes stomach, but the gator was not alive & clawing inside the snake (which is what the article sounds like to me).

Lethal

Did the article say the gator was "very dead" before the python ate it? I missed that part if it did. How do we know it wasn't alive?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Dead. Pythons strangle their prey before attempting to eat them. If the alligator was alive, how would the pythons mouth wrestle with the alligator's jaw? I think it burst because of the alligators spines slicing into the snake's belly.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Lacero said:
Dead. Pythons strangle their prey before attempting to eat them. If the alligator was alive, how would the pythons mouth wrestle with the alligator's jaw? I think it burst because of the alligators spines slicing into the snake's belly.

True enough, but the python could have thought it was dead, and swallowed it in a weakened condition, only to have it revive enough to struggle and claw.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Lacero said:

also, if the gator was 'alive and biting', then the python's 'breaking point' would be more likely in the area where the gator's head is, not at the height of the tail.

I side with the "already dead" school of thought.
the death of the python is more probably caused by one of the rear leg's claw or back's spine slicing the gut, as lacero said (like other animals, they can still have jerky movements after death), or maybe even by a second gator preying upon the digesting/sleeping snake

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
LethalWolfe said:

That's a good question. The lay-person explanation is this... It's because the alligator is native, so all of the other species have come to a natural balance over tens of thousands of years... to the point where these animals have evolved together. Other animals instinctively know how to coexist with the alligator, but they can't with the python-- it just eats them. They have no time to evolve, develop a reaction, these things just invade. It's the same situation with the Zebra Mussels in the great lakes, and those scary garbage-disposal-looking-eels that are rapidly infesting our waterways-- things that could exist fine in one ecosystem can completely and literally destroy another one. Something to think about when you're deciding what to do with an unwanted exotic pet... :mad:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
rainman::|:| said:
That's a good question. The lay-person explanation is this... It's because the alligator is native, so all of the other species have come to a natural balance over tens of thousands of years... to the point where these animals have evolved together. Other animals instinctively know how to coexist with the alligator, but they can't with the python-- it just eats them. They have no time to evolve, develop a reaction, these things just invade. It's the same situation with the Zebra Mussels in the great lakes, and those scary garbage-disposal-looking-eels that are rapidly infesting our waterways-- things that could exist fine in one ecosystem can completely and literally destroy another one. Something to think about when you're deciding what to do with an unwanted exotic pet... :mad:

Good point. :)

MacDawg said:
True enough, but the python could have thought it was dead, and swallowed it in a weakened condition, only to have it revive enough to struggle and claw.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Trust me, it was dead. I grew up w/a Boa as a pet and watched it feed many times. Even something as "harmless" as a mouse could kill a snake from the inside if it wasn't dead before the snake ate it. Constrictors (like Boas and Pythons) know how to crush/asphyxiate their prey. They then release it and size it up before eating it.

I also doubt the "gator clawed its way out" part because it's not quoted. I think the report misheard or misunderstood something.

Lethal

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
nature is stunning and amazing as always. too bad its balance is put out of order by us so often.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Pythons, in the everglades, in Florida, eats a gator, head explodes :eek:
Guess I learn something new almost everyday

For some reason I was thinking of the Florida Gators football team :p

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I think what we can learn from this is that we shouldn't eat alligators whole. Anyone eat gator meat?

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Ah the wonderful creatures we have in this state. I wonder though how this fits in with the whole survival of the fittest idea. Some would argue if the python can eat the gator why shouldn't it. I am not sure where I stand. It would be interesting to see a python fight a gator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.