Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:30 PM   #1
TaiO89
macrumors newbie

iPod touch turns on then shuts off

Hi, all
I've got the first generation iPod touch. I am not sure if the battery is dead or something. I cant turn it on at all if I dont plug it in. If I plug the charging cable in, I manage to get to the Apple logo, then after like 1 sec, it shuts down. What could be the issue? Do you think it's the battery or some other hardware issue?

Also, I have replaced the front screen like 3 years ago. I don't remember if the device stopped working after that.

I just want to get a diagnostics on what could be problem so I could buy the part and fix it myself.

Apple said it costs $150 to replace the 1st gen iPod touch, and $80 for the battery! I can find the battery on eBay for $2!!

Anyways, help would be much appreciated, thanks.
TaiO89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

That's obsurd! Get a 4th gen running iOS 4-5 off eBay for like 110...
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:51 PM   #3
TaiO89
macrumors newbie

I'd rather repair this 1st gen iPod so I could use it for my car stereo. I already have an iPhone 5, no need to buy a new overpriced device.
I just wanna fix this iPod, but I dont know what exactly is the issue.
TaiO89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:11 PM   #4
jmac3
macrumors newbie

sounds like a hardware issue, are you plugging into a wall adapter? start with the most simple problem iliminations, make sure its not your usb cable, try another cable, try another wall adapter, try cleaning out your docking port with acetone or the highest % alcohol you can get. Then try DFU restore. If all that fails and you know how to dissect it, you really need a multi meter. test the battery contacts. your pc wont even reconize the device until 3.7v are present at the battery solder pads.
jmac3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch