Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:29 AM   #1
twisted-pixel
macrumors 6502

App creators joining the fight against JB?

As much as everyone else here, I'm eagerly looking forward to the availability of a JB for my iphone5. Unfortunately, as much as I miss SBSettings and BiteSMS, when I had my JB device there were an increasing number of apps that wouldn't work on a JB device, detecting this and refusing to run. Sky go, my banking app to name just a couple. I hope this trend doesn't continue
twisted-pixel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:33 AM   #2
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a

I understand that developers aren't interested in jailbroken iPhones with illegally downloaded apps on them. Maybe now that Installous has been shut down things will change, I don't know. Personally, all I use a jailbreak for are tweaks that enhance my personal user experience, Zephyr, SwipeAway and NCSettings for instance. I don't mind paying a few euros for apps if they really are useful and I actually need them.
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:52 AM   #3
twisted-pixel
macrumors 6502

I wasn't referring to illegal apps of which I've never had any. I was referring to the growing number of purchased or free apps that won't run on a JB device
twisted-pixel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:33 AM   #4
confucious
macrumors 6502

xCon resolves the issue for lots of apps.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
gusbemac
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to gusbemac Send a message via MSN to gusbemac Send a message via Skype™ to gusbemac
My opinion

The apps developers who are against jailbreak because they say the jailbreak is linked to the piracy, but they're just narrow-minded, dummies and fascists.

If they are against jailbreak, I'll remove their apps that I bought and I will take off their rating stars and will replace the positive comment for the negative. Like they did at Reddit against Go Daddy in the time of SOPA.

These fascist and functional illiterates don't know the difference between jailbreak and piracy, this is one thing and that is other thing. They will want us to be imprisoned, limited and narrow-minded and to support the limited iOS.

I don't consider jailbreak as piracy's alternative, but tweak and theme's alternative, so I don't want to be locked and imprisoned. I like freedom.

Apple and the anti-jailbreak protesters won't have any right of controlling me and my iDevices, because when once I bought or paid an iDevice with my money, it became belonging to me and not to them, my iDevice is mine and I do what I want with my iDevice.

You would be going to argue it's against Apple and DMCA policies, but if they control, sue and force me, they are violating the customer and civil, human and individual rights laws too.
gusbemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:35 PM   #6
confucious
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbemac View Post
The apps developers who are against jailbreak because they say the jailbreak is linked to the piracy, but they're just narrow-minded, dummies and fascists.
I asume English is not your first language and you really didn't mean to be offensive.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:52 PM   #7
thelatinist
macrumors 603

There are very good reasons for a banking app to want to restrict access to accounts from jailbroken devices.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:35 AM   #8
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
There are very good reasons for a banking app to want to restrict access to accounts from jailbroken devices.
This I can understand.

However, just the other day I purchased an app for $2, and its only functionality was the ability to upload/download files properly, yet as soon as I launched it there was a push notification telling me it would not work on a jailbroken device and it self-terminated. It was after I had already paid with no prior warning. That's not really necessary is it?

Surely a banking app could just implement the same securities that they implement on an Android OS, they have equal, if not more freedom than us jailbroken iOS users have.
Redjericho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:42 AM   #9
irDigital0l

Quote:

If they are against jailbreak, I'll remove their apps that I bought and I will take off their rating stars and will replace the positive comment for the negative. Like they did at Reddit against Go Daddy in the time of SOPA.
wow...oh wow
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:57 PM   #10
gusbemac
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to gusbemac Send a message via MSN to gusbemac Send a message via Skype™ to gusbemac
My errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by confucious View Post
I asume English is not your first language and you really didn't mean to be offensive.
I'm not an English-speaking native.

What are my grammar and orthography errors?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
wow...oh wow
Is there any problem?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:13 PM   #11
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Quote:
Is there any problem?
maybe something to do with narrow-minded, dummies and fascist.

may i suggest you look all of those up in either your native language or an english translation site.
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 8.0 GM
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:19 PM   #12
gusbemac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriJetHero View Post
maybe something to do with narrow-minded, dummies and fascist.

may i suggest you look all of those up in either your native language or an english translation site.
Ah, I looked at these words in my dictionary, these words are adjective and the adjective can't be plural. Is it this?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:45 PM   #13
gusbemac
macrumors member

Now I understood

Now I understood, I asked for my British native friend to analyse my errors. He said to use "they are against jailbreaking" instead of "they are against the jailbreaking". And he said to use "linked to piracy" instead of "linked to the piracy".

Is it this?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:52 PM   #14
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

nope…

try again focus less on grammar and more on the insults

----------

let me give you a hint

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascist_(insult))
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 8.0 GM
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:19 PM   #15
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Now I understood, I asked for my British native friend to analyse my errors. He said to use "they are against jailbreaking" instead of "they are against the jailbreaking". And he said to use "linked to piracy" instead of "linked to the piracy".

Is it this?
Haha, you are learning, it really wasn't a big deal, we could understand what you were trying to say.
Redjericho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:11 AM   #16
Sparky9292
macrumors 6502a

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by confucious View Post
xCon resolves the issue for lots of apps.
Thanks! I'd figured it was just a standard API call that could be spoofed. There's really no reason that an app that i buy should care if it's running on a Jailbroken phone.

I figure that the developers want to avoid tech support calls blaming their apps if they don't work on a jailbroken phone, but it should be more of a warning screen saying "Don't bother us if this app doesn't work on your jailbroken device"

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/XCon
Sparky9292 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks